"Since women must bear the physical consequences of the sex act, men must be required to bear the other consequences and pay in other ways."?

Quote from Phyllis Schlafly:
"Women have babies and men don’t... Since women must bear the physical consequences of the sex act, men must be required to bear the other consequences and pay in other ways...
A man must carry his share by physical protection and financial support of his children and of the woman who bears his children, and also by a code of behavior which benefits and protects both the woman and the children."

I think that's fair.

What do you think?
  • yes that's very fair
  • yes that's fair
  • it'd be fair, but not in the way she described (please explain)
    Vote C
  • no that's not fair
    Vote D
  • other
    Vote E

629

Most Helpful Guy

• Both people made the baby and both should grow up and take responsibility for seeing that that child is first in everything. At least until the child is adopted and then both can go back to what ever irresponsible and reckless life they were living before. Now, if the mother was truly raped, he should pay for all expenses all the way until adoption and then go to prison for a very long time.

• it should be equal though.

so the man pays the financial costs and the woman pays the physical

• If thats how they want to work it then great. But both participated so at worst both should pay something. In an ideal world, a marriage already provides this arrangement where the mother is pregnant and not able to work so the husband is the bread winner and provides all of their needs because he loves her and their unborn child. This is how I would like to see it.

Most Helpful Girl

• The man should split the cost if he supports the choice to abort. If he doesn't support the decision to abort, he should not be obligated to contribute financially.

• You seem to be misunderstanding my question.

I said that

if abortion is illegal

and women aren't allowed to get abortions

and thus have to take physical responsibility and endure pregnancy and birth

shouldn't men also have to take financial responsibility?

• well preferably the government subsidization would come solely from men

• I mean, I don't think that would be preferable, but okay.