"Since women must bear the physical consequences of the sex act, men must be required to bear the other consequences and pay in other ways."?

Quote from Phyllis Schlafly:
"Women have babies and men don’t... Since women must bear the physical consequences of the sex act, men must be required to bear the other consequences and pay in other ways...
A man must carry his share by physical protection and financial support of his children and of the woman who bears his children, and also by a code of behavior which benefits and protects both the woman and the children."

I think that's fair.

What do you think?
  • yes that's very fair
    Vote A
  • yes that's fair
    Vote B
  • it'd be fair, but not in the way she described (please explain)
    Vote C
  • no that's not fair
    Vote D
  • other
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Both people made the baby and both should grow up and take responsibility for seeing that that child is first in everything. At least until the child is adopted and then both can go back to what ever irresponsible and reckless life they were living before. Now, if the mother was truly raped, he should pay for all expenses all the way until adoption and then go to prison for a very long time.

0|0
    0|0
    • it should be equal though.

so the man pays the financial costs and the woman pays the physical

• If thats how they want to work it then great. But both participated so at worst both should pay something. In an ideal world, a marriage already provides this arrangement where the mother is pregnant and not able to work so the husband is the bread winner and provides all of their needs because he loves her and their unborn child. This is how I would like to see it.

Most Helpful Girl

• The man should split the cost if he supports the choice to abort. If he doesn't support the decision to abort, he should not be obligated to contribute financially.

0|2
    0|0
    • You seem to be misunderstanding my question.

I said that

if abortion is illegal

and women aren't allowed to get abortions

and thus have to take physical responsibility and endure pregnancy and birth

shouldn't men also have to take financial responsibility?

• Show All
    • well preferably the government subsidization would come solely from men

• I mean, I don't think that would be preferable, but okay.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 28

• I think it's fair in theory but that quote goes a little overboard with what the man is responsible for. But yeah if the man gets her pregnant and wants her child then he should take responsibility to care for her during that time and while their kid is a baby. Once the baby is older though it should go back to being more equal.

1|0
    0|0
  • this is very old fashioned, pre-feminism thinking. It sounds like "girls have babies and men earn money to support them".

0|2
    0|0
    • so women should have to do everything & men shouldn't compensate women at all to balance things out?

• Show All
    • I don't disagree with you. But the position you just stated doesn't match the position in the quote- it was very explicit about roles.

• it seems that "it'd be fair, but not in the way she described (please explain)" would be your answer, in that case

• Guy should split half. Since birth control is the responsibility of BOTH the parties. You seem to think that giving birth must somehow ensure some extra privilege for women. I say that its basic human decency to help your own child.
    If she couldn't afford it, sure I would cover the entire cost because its, like I said, human decency.

0|0
    0|0
    • it's not extra privilege for women.

it's extra privilege for MEN if men only have to pay half the financial costs, because that means that the woman is paying more than half of the total costs (when we include physical costs in there)

• Show All
    • i'm referring to the financial costs of the pregnancy and birth only.

• Why go through pregnancy if you're only gonna fight over money on the kid? Its not about equality anymore. Its about the three of them. The man, the woman and the child. And I've never legit heard of someone withdrawing from child support.

• You wouldn't be pregnant in the first place if you didn't spread your legs and allow a dick in you without a condom or some other birth control

0|1
    1|0
    • You wouldn't have gotten a woman pregnant in the first place if you didn't fuck a woman without a condom or some other birth control

• Show All
    • yes, "because we're women"

• Ok. Enjoy being a single mom with 3 kids from different fathers

• I think since both the boy and the girl had sex, then they both should assume the responsibility of the pregnancy and care. Assuming she did not purposely get pregnant to try and hook the guy.
    I think she should pay from 25% to half the costs. Some pregnancies go pretty smoothly for the woman, others are not so easy.

0|0
    0|0
  • no, i think he shouldn't have to pay anything. men should be able to get off scot-free in the case of unwanted pregnancy, even if women can't

0|1
    3|0
  • Wow. My options as responses are totally open minded, not opinionated, and most certainly not sexist in the slightest! Fuck this stupid poll. Give me unbiased answer options and I'll give you an answer.

0|0
    0|0
  • The guy should get off completely free. Remember "HER body, HER choice"? Don't change that shit once the shoe is on the other foot.

0|0
    2|0
    • That comparison is irrelevant in this case because she ISN'T being given a choice.

Then neither should he.

• Show All
    • we're referring to a different scenario.

• I don't care. Right now the laws are beyond gynocentric and I don't see you or any other feminist trying to fix this inequality. Therefore, if abortion was ever to be illegal, you're on your own 100%.

Remember, you 're strong and independent and don't need no man...

• Wait what if the man wanted to keep the child, but the woman wanted nothing to do with the child? Would the man still be forced to pay for the abortion of the child he wanted or would he have the opportunity to be exempt from this?

0|0
    0|0
    • You seem to be misunderstanding my question.

I said that

if abortion is illegal

and women aren't allowed to get abortions

and thus have to take physical responsibility and endure pregnancy and birth

shouldn't men also have to take financial responsibility?

• Show All
    • so what's your opinion

• I'm not gonna disclose my opinion due to the fact that I don't like to voice my opinions over politics or controversial topics.

• I'm certainly not going to agree with all the expenses, but for a change I can actually understand your logic.
    Don't really have an answer, I think both sides need to be able to opt out.

0|0
    0|0
  • Would you rather be stabbed with a knife or every day be cut with a razor, how about we fix our fucking legislation.

0|0
    0|0
    • Its a metaphor. That's basically what you're saying, do you want to take one big hit at once or lots of small hits over time.

• I'd be in favor of this if men are allowed the option to relinquish themselves of all financial responsibility AFTER the child is born.

0|0
    0|0
  • I really hate abortion because it first class murder taking away a babies fundermental human right to life

0|0
    0|0
    • so if abortion isnt' alllowed, men should be required to pay all the financial costs (of pregnancy and birth) to balance out the woman's physical costs, right?

• seems fair because I can never terminate my own blood

• H9nearly abortion needs to be far easier to gey, you should basically be able to walk in and beyond that day

0|0
    0|0
  • As it stands now, a father is financially responsible to any child they sire, even if the sexual act wasn't consensual. There are costs that both parties pay when it comes to children, I believe that their should be some kind of financial abortion option for the father. I agree with your point that the mother takes all of the physical risks/responsibilities and if the act was consensual certainly he should bear some if not all of the financial burden. If on the other hand she raped/sexually assaulted/forced him to penetrate (or any of the other colloquialisms we call male victims of female predators) then he should have no responsibility.

0|0
    0|0
    • of course men shouldn't have to pay if they were raped

• That is not the current law, as you are talking an extension of current law, I propose that the one is tied to the other.

• in my opinion the father has to compensate for the loss of income hence the mother is unable to work completly or unable to work partially.

0|0
    0|0
  • Your logic is always so stupid lmao

0|4
    0|0
  • we do we have to put up with female bullshit. .. well some of us do

0|1
    0|0
  • my answer fuck the government

1|0
    0|0
  • should never be legal

0|0
    1|0
  • Only half the costs

0|0
    0|0
    • How is it equal to expect the woman to pay half the financial costs on top of all the physical costs?

• Show All
    • @BertMacklinFBI risks should be equally split between men and women. which would men pay full financial costs, women pay full physical costs.

• If there were a way to calculate the ratio/difference between financial/physical, then sure.

• Both parties must pay

0|0
    0|0
    • exactly. so women pay the full physical costs, and men pay the full financial costs.

• whatever no one bitches over condom prices

• Does he get a say in how to raise the child?

0|0
    0|0
    • of course he'd get equal parental rights afterward.

i'm referring solely to the pregnancy and birth

• Pay all the financial costs for the abortion too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Which costs are you referring to?

The massive costs are after. Your suggestion that men be able to opt out post birth would be a monumental change.

0|0
    0|0
  • If it's an unwanted pregnancy and the girl didn't insist the guy use birth control it's her fault. If they did use birth control, the guy should be man enough to help pay half.

0|1
    0|0
    • It's equally the guy's fault. So he should have to take responsibility too.

• Show All
    • I don't think men should be obligated to pay for the entire cost of the child* but I don't see why it is only the woman's responsibility to ensure that birth control is used.

• So you'll only use birth control if the woman insists on it, yet if she doesn't insist and you go without it, she is solely responsible? You made the same choice not to use birth control that she made. You both made the choice. Why are you not equally responsible?

• Nope, if women want special treatment then they shouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place

0|2
    1|0
    • in this case, it's giving special treatment to MEN that they're able to get off scot-free in the case of unwanted pregnancy when women can't

• Show All
    • @Thisperson98 i'm referring to the costs of PREGNANCY and BIRTH, not the costs afterward

• then don't get women pregnant if you don't want to pay for it

• Phyllis Scholarly? seriously she's a joke, where did you learn about her? Women's studies or some other stupid class?

0|2
    0|1

What Girls Said 5

• I think it's fair as well.
    Although, if women can choose to relinquish biological responsibility (by aborting) men should be able to relinquish financial responsibility (only if he makes his decision before the deadline for women to be able to abort is over.)

0|3
    0|0
  • Good luck re-writing thousands off years off evolution.

0|0
    0|0
    • Men protecting and providing for their families goes back millenia

• Nope half the costs.. takes two to tango.

1|1
    0|0
    • How is it equal to expect the woman to pay half the financial costs on top of all the physical costs?

• Show All
    • I just don't think its fair to think men should pay everything when you both were the ones who did the act and knew possible consequences..

• He's not paying everything.
      He's paying the full financial costs. And she's paying the full physical costs. It's the closest to equality that we can get.

• Men are generally already held responsible financially for a child even if he didn't want it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why dont people just be responsible and this wouldn't even be an issue.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes