Do you put effort into keeping around those you care for?

If you care for someone, maybe a friend, family member, girl, guy... do you put effort into keeping them around?

There's this saying "if you love someone, set them free. If they come back, they're yours; if they don't, they never were".
I don't like that saying one bit, because it's basically expecting the other person to put all the effort, but what about you? Why don't you put any effort into making them stay instead of just letting them go?
  • I'll try my hardest to keep them around
  • I'll put some effort, but I have a limit
  • I don't put much effort, or none at all, if they want to be around me, they'll come back
    Vote C

115

Most Helpful Girl

• The context in which you understand this quote you mentioned is slightly different from how I comprehend it. "If you love someone set them free. If they come back, they're yours; if they don't, they never were" - this saying only applies to a romantic relationship/solid friendship for me, as it means if a situation were to ever arise that would split us apart (I caught him cheating, he's looking to move away/my friend did a massive thing which broke my trust, I constantly get back stabbed by this friend... (YES indeed I'd try with all my effort to convince them on working out our love/friendship, but if he/they is/are so set in his/their ways... you can't force love/are friendship as it's a two way street to maintain it) I would let the guy/friendship go and not force to change his/their ways for me.

However for family, it's a different story as family is bound to you. For those in your family (I'm talking mainly about immediate family) should always be above all else and be kept close to you.

Most Helpful Guy

• I do. I keep a very tight circle. My girl, my family, my friends. No outsiders are permitted to enter the circle of trust.