Are you good in math? Do you believe that people who are bad at math are stupid? What is your definition of stupid?

I`m personally very bad at math, but I disagree that being bad at math makes you stupid. I have many other mentally stimulating talents such as an interest for biology and politics. I can write a very formal text with advanced words, reflect and understand what they mean.

Please analyze and explain opinions! This question isn`t to make others feel bad about themselves! I`m just curious since I`ve heard so many different sides of this issue.
  • No, not good at math
    Vote A
  • Yes, quite good at math
    Vote B
  • I don`t believe people who are bad at math are stupid
    Vote C
  • I do believe that people who are bad at math are stupid
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I suck at mathematics, but excel in Biology, History, Art and English. It's not a matter of intelligence, for I know lots of folks who excel at math but can't string together a proper sentence. You can't judge the intelligence of a fish by asking it to climb a tree. There is no one true intelligence. Each human is either a left or right brained person, so each is intelligent in different things. Pursue your strengths...

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No , not knowing math doesn't make us stupid

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 16

• Same as you. I'm bad at math, but it doesn't make you stupid. I'm also interested in politics and can write texts in advanced words. But I can only do it in Norwegian. I'm also interested in history.

1|0
    0|0
  • people not good in math are not stupid they are sexxxy...

3|0
    0|0
  • i am good aat maths and have won many Olympiads. Let me explain this from neurologist point of view.
    IT IS believed that there are two types of function by brain mathematicaa nd logicsl part where left side of is responsible for such function, whereas right side is responsible for en leashing creativity, drawing and language building skills.

so knowing and good at maths doesn't define ones's stupidity or intelligence too!!! It just shows that you are having other part of brain to be dominanat and also work on it to improve the efficiency

2|0
    0|0
  • I believe that otherwise smart people who are bad at math have been badly taught. Math is not a bunch of boring formulas and procedures to memorize. It's just applied logic.

1|0
    0|1
    • if you are so damn intelligent then you can also make formulas... , at least some one has done something for you , but you can also find another formula... so no its not just application of formulas...😂

• It's difference kinds of intelligence and being smart at.

• OK... 😂

• I'm good at math.

All the people I know who were good at math - and that doesn't mean calculating stuff - are broadly intelligent, almost all are well read, and thoughtful in other areas.

Some people I know who were bad at math were also broadly intelligent.

So it's linked, but not a sure thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well science related programs are really the the leading edge when it comes to human advancement... for obvious reasons --> Which is why people might relate intelligence with being good at science related courses...

I mean you can't be an astronaut if you aren't top of your class in applied math courses... physics chemistry...

0|0
    0|0
  • it is complicated for me... I love maths at the same time hate it... so I can't give answer to the first question... but no they aren't stupid , just not so intelligent... cause maths is brain work... and so...👊😏

0|0
    0|0
  • i hated math in school. and yet ended up working for and Armored car company. where i had to use it all the time. and i settled ATMs could add it all up in my head in seconds

1|0
    0|0
  • Math generally only shows logical/mathematical intelligence. There are many other types of intelligence. The school system doesn't always accurately display a person's intelligence.

0|0
    0|0
  • People dont have to be familiar with logic problems to think logically. Math gives us a way to describe the world around us. Where peoples opinions may vary. Numbers don't lie.

0|0
    0|0
  • School as we know it today was started by the greek philosopher Plato.

He traveled the world during a time when very few people could. And what he discovered over his travels was that the smartest people he could find all studied math. Among other things, he found that studying math correlated with a better understanding of the world and intelligence.

So he started what he called The Academy and that school he created is why we learn what we learn in school today (for the most part)

He thought that people should have to go through decades of math and for that to just be the beginning.

Math isn't supposed to be about remembering. Its supposed to be about understanding abstract concepts, relating them to the real world and using them to problem solve. That's what being smart really is.

That said, I've meet people who get good grades in math and have zero problem solving abilities and are total morons. I think it has to do with the way things are taught these days

0|0
    0|0
  • There are different types of intllegince if you're not good at maths then you're good at something else
    Like I can't call Chopin of Mozart stupid because they are bad at maths or something

0|0
    0|0
  • math is stupid

1|0
    0|0
  • I fucking hate math

1|0
    0|0
  • I was an exceptional mathematician in school, the best in my school year.
    Maths tends to be a subject men are better at, our brains better problem solvers (oe something like that)
    My mum doesn't like maths at all, struggles with sometimes, an average mathematician at best... my mum is an English teacher at a college. She has an exceptional flair for language. She (like youraelf) is very formal, hates slang. Growing up she always used to correct my poor grammar, check my spelling, very proper

0|0
    0|0
  • I suck at math, hate it and don't believe it's a measure of intelligence.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• I love math but I'm very bad at it, lmao. Both of my major hobbies are very math dependant (composition, in very technical 20th century style - and game development, which means programming, which is a LOT of math) - and it's definitely an issue for me. When it comes to doing the math I take a very long time, and it slows down my whole workflow. That's a problem. If there was a version of me who was really good at maths, but everything else was exactly the same, they would advance in their development at a significantly faster tempo. They would be less likely to avoid mathematical solutions & therefore create more efficient work. They could even have more complex ideas, and develop ideas to an even greater extent, with their knowledge of mathematics.

But would they be *smarter* then me? Kind of? How are we determining that? They'd be a better employee than me, maybe they'd even be a better artist, but is being better at a given craft the same as being smarter? Put another way: is someone's intelligence measured by their ability to produce commodities of sufficient quality in sufficient time? If so, then who cares about how 'smart' I am other than my boss? It's a useless quality.

I'm using this example purposefully, here, because I think most people would not consider your intelligence to be related to your ability to produce commodities under normal circumstances. But that is, I think, the terms in which we consider it - its 'usefulness' to others, or rather, its ability to comete with others. Ordinarily intelligence is not measured in-use but abstractly, either as a performance score on a particular test, or as an 'IQ' which supposedly has a biological origin. Neither of these metrics, however, have any meaning beyond the test itself.

If my intelligence is either how good I am to my boss, or how good I am on a test I'll never take again (which exists only to assure potential bosses of my good I am) - why do we talk about it in the first place? Most people, when pressed, will actually give a very complicated & tolerant explanation of what intelligence is & what it means, and will say something like 'but I think everyone is intelligent at something' or whatever. I think it's time to be firmer: 'intellgence' has no literal meaning, cannot be measured and has no application. What exists is one's power to perform labour.

But we are more than our labour power!

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes i am even though the longest problems give me a headache

1|0
    0|0
  • I am decent in math but that doesn't mean that a person is dumb just because they are not good in math

0|0
    0|0
  • I am quite good, and no I don't find that stupid, unless they are pretending to be dumb.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm very good at math and very bad at other areas. Doesn't mean I'm stupid.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am extremely terrible at math. Unbelievably so.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes I am

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes