Tips for writing a story?

One in particular is- what sort of interesting things could I add to a YA story (realistic fiction)?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• right well... thats open ended AF, you need to outline the plot, character motivations in question, setting would help, a brief synopsis of the area you need critiquing or improved...

its not as easy as asking a bunch of strangers "hey whats an interesting story?"

as for tips;

1 you can never plan too much, build an entire world to show the reader a single city, its what Tolkein did and... well need I say more

2 have people who are interested in critiquing the work honestly, not friends who will just pander to your ego

3 define your characters opening mindset and the mindset they have at the finale, everything else will change and these probably will too but it gives you two firm bookends (ha) that allow a lot of easy development

4 try not to use the standard tropes, if you do at least try to make them unique

5 a professional typesetter and proofreader can be the difference between being published or rejected

just a few tips.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• My teacher told me i was the best writer in the class. All i really do is pretend the story was real. one thing i will say is BE DETAILED. use figurative language.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 12

• I like to write outlines. Almost like when you read the cliffnotes on books you didn't want to read for your report. I like to write what happens in very basic terms kinda like this
    >Matt meets Sarah for the first time, he get's her number, she seems really special. Matt loses her number while on the buss
    >Matt keeps taking the long way from work to see if he can catch her near the same place they meet. He gets depressed.
    >One day when he walks past and she isn't there, she sees him, but as soon as she goes to walk up to him to say hi, he turns around and hugs a girl hello he looks really happy, let down, sarah walks off. We go back to Matt who was only running into his sister by chance.

You know, and just keep going. That could easily be 5 minutes of video or 10-20 pages of story

Writing that gives you a good place to start to figure out how specifically these things happen.

Not sure what you mean by interesting things. What are you trying to go along the lines of? Do you have a synopsis in mind or what?

1|0
    0|0
  • Well make sure you give them character depth..
    Like everybody else said plan out the story..
    Make as realistic a world as you can, when you add the fiction.. Haha.. Stuff like that.. That's all I got that I know if since I ain't writing a novel...

1|0
    0|0
  • hey I wanna write a story... can we do it together?

1|0
    0|0
  • brainstorming ideas helps and set out a plan before you start writing

1|0
    0|0
  • just keep on writing.. you will get so bored ideas will come to you..

1|0
    0|0
  • Be very descriptive.

1|0
    0|0
  • read stories and you will get your ideas...

1|1
    0|0
  • Have evryone die slowly throughout the story.

1|1
    1|1
  • stay focused on the subject

1|0
    0|0
  • Be creative. Use your imagination.

1|0
    0|0
  • get in your characters skin

1|0
    0|0
  • Well I am writing a novel. The
    best thing you can do is to plan ahead. For instance write character descriptions, how tempered are they, what clothes do they wear, are they funny or serious... Overall planing and research is the most important.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• Character development
    Cohesive plot
    Try not to fall into clich├ęs

1|0
    0|0
  • Think about a time you went to a place and have the setting there or look up pictures of a beautiful place and it will all come too you.

1|0
    0|0
  • Just be creative let your mind go wild it's what I always did

2|1
    0|0
  • pm me what you wanna write about n ill spinoff only way i could teach is to provide an example

1|1
    0|0
  • Things that you yourself have encountered

1|0
    0|0
  • First do brain storming
    Then prepare drafts

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes