Girls, if during childbirth only one of you live... would you save yourself or your newborn?

Scenario:
Apparently your pregnancy is going good. All good till during childbirth. Just then, the doctors explained you the terrible situation and give you two options...

- Apply anesthesia or meds on you... you'll get better but the baby's chance of living is low to slim... he/she can die while you live.
- Don't apply anything and the baby has a higher chance of being healthy but you're at high risk and can die.

Inspired by this story:

• I'll save myself.. don't wanna die
  • I'll give up my life for my newborn
Guys can not vote on this poll
I'm a Girl

24

Most Helpful Girl

• Until we're in this position I don't really think anyone is able to give a full answer.

But as at now I'd choose myself. I know it would destroy my husband if I made that choice and left him when parenthood is something we were meant to do together. If I just happened to pass away without a choice, that's one thing but choosing to leave him alone goes against everything I promised when I married him

What Girls Said 23

• It's hard to answer that when I don't even have a kid and have never been in such a hard position. As for right now I would save myself because that unconditional love mothers have for their children is something unknown for me. I don't know how far it would make me go

• It's very rare to die in childbirth nowadays, so hopefully this won't be something anyone here faces.

As a person who doesn't plan on being a parent at this point in time, I would save myself. There can be other children, and some babies are remarkably resilient. It's not a guarantee that they would be killed by the anesthesia.

• You really can't answer this question until you're actually pregnant.
    But I know that the husband should prefer his wife to live.

• As sad as it is I'd save myself. Won't it be terrible for the child to grow up without a mother? Damn this is too tough, I hope I'll never be in a situation like this.

• it depends if I was a single mother with other children, then I'd live because they'd need someone to support them and the US adoption/foster system is very messed up.
    if I had a partner then I'd probably save the child.

• I think I'd save myself.

• Tbh when it comes down to it (I'm a nurse so I know) the life of the mother will always be saved over the life of the child.

• In this case an amniotic embolism is pretty much a death sentence for the mother.. no they couldn't have just given her some drugs and she would have been fine... she still would have been extremely sick/critical if not dead post birth due to this condition.

• I hope I'll save myself. I am not that type of person who sees that bearing and giving birth to children is her highest purpose. No one can demand you to sacrifice your life, youth and goals to save a kid you don't know. I'm not a hero. But I feel bad just imagining it. I hope I would never have to make this choice. You never know what you're gonna do at this exact moment.

• I can't actually have kids, so for me the question isn't all that relevant, but... my mother made a decision like that when I was born.

Since I'm here to type these words to you, you can probably guess what she chose.

• I left that decision up to my kids dad. 🙄

• I would save my child.

• Ah shit.
    I'm so immoral on this one but I'll be a bitch and save myself.
    I still have a family to raise and I don't agree with single parenthood.

• I hope my husband would tell me to choose for myself and then I would.

• save the baby. I don't think I could carry a child that long & not fall in love

• this one is a really tough one

• I would give up my life to save the child.

• hard to pick.

• I would save my child at any cost.

• i won't get pregnant then

• As selfish as it is. I'd ask my boyfriend who'd probably tell me myself as I know he'd struggle being a single parent and resent the child. But as I don't have children I don't know the pull it has

• Let the child live

• I would pick myself. If I saved the baby I would be destroying my fiance. He would just end up resenting that baby and neither of them would be happy.

• Call me mean but I'd rather save myself. If pregnancy is going to be so complicated then there is nothing wrong with adopting a child.