Is it fair that auto insurance rates are more expensive for males under the age of 21 than for females?

It's great to be a girl -- at least when it comes to buying auto insurance.

Men pay about $15,000 more for auto insurance over their lifetimes than women do, according to CoverHound. com, an insurance shopping service. But the differences can be even more dramatic, depending on age, location, and other variables.

For instance, an 18-year-old male living in Nevada would pay an average of $6,268 a year to insure his sedan if he had the misfortune to grow up there. That's 51 percent higher than what his twin sister would pay (assuming they have the same grades and driving records), who would fork out just $4,152 to insure an identical car.

• Yes, it's fair
  • No, it's not fair
Select a gender to cast your vote:
First person to reply with a picture of a cactus gets mho

618

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 6

• I think it's done by risk, so whichever groups of people have more accidents will pay more. So any young person would pay more than a middle aged person for example. Could call that ageist too if you wanted.
    They made it illegal where I am now though.

• I would say yes. Based on studies, men take bigger risks, drive faster and get in more accidents. From the perspective of an insurance company, men are a bigger risk so should be charged more.

• so women should pay more for healthcare then.

• @FreedomByChoice Are you saying women have more complications? Or that we go to the doctor more. I would agree with that. I also agree with you thought that insurance companies are crooks.

• yeah thats what I meant but also on the company note, they get to do whatever they want, write the guidelines they want etc..

• The rates are based on actuarial science. Young males have more accidents and are a higher risk, so it's fair. Women pay more for pink things than men pay for a similar product in black. Razors , cozy coupe cars...

• Based on actuarial science women should pay more for healthcare insurance and social security (longer life expectancy and more complications) and should get paid less for work (pregnancy and more sickdays). So are you still okay with going down that road?

• Yes I am okay with that.

• Men are more wreckless. It makes perfect sense.

• Not fair at all

• it is not fair

What Guys Said 17

• Fairness has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Insurance is based on risk (like several others pointed out). Facts be facts - whether you like them or not. Males - especially those under the age of 25, drive far more vehicle miles than females. That exposure puts them at a FAR higher risk of being in an accident or speeding. Therefore, since they absolutely incur more accidents and incidents, they get to pay more for the coverage. Lucky us!

Don't even get me started down the road when it comes to "No Fault" states like Taxachusetts! Auto insurance skyrockets in states like that.

• it's fair in the sense that those people are more likely to incur damages that insurances will have to cover.

so it's not really about fairness but simply about potential for incidence. statistics show that youths and especially male youths are greater liabilities.

it's kind of like buying a house near the san andreas fault or a home in hurricane alley. you'll pay greater home insurances prices because of the greater liability than say someone in rural new york

• I thought the idea was that it was calculated on risk, with young males being a higher risk than young females as proven by accident statistics. Whether or not that is true I can't verify, largely because I can't be fucked right now.

I can't see why insurers would give women an easier ride if there was no science behind it. I mean, they want money, that's their core purpose. They're not a gender rights group, they're businesses.

• Absolutely unfair. A driver is an individual not a gender, I would not mind paying a little more for insurance if I was promised 50% of the premium back at the end of the year should I not make a claim as the cause of an accident. I should also say insurance is quite high because of uninsured drivers; I saw on the news last week a driver convicted of driving without insurance was fined just £120. WTF? That's what I pay every 3 months for being 100% legal! No deterrent at all...

• Given it's done based on risk and statistics, yes. If you believe you are the exception to the rule, go ahead and prove it, and watch your rates fall as you accumulate years of no-claim discounts.

• Doesn't make sense. Sure guys speed, but we can actually drive. Women can't drive as well. It's proven.

• This is illegal in my country. Yeah, I'd say it's unfair, imagine the uproar if women had to pay more for healthcare insurance...

• There's at least one insurance company in the UK that has an app that measures how safely you drive, and adjusts your premiums accordingly, which is an even handed approach.

• It's a probabilistic argument and a part of capitalism, but it's still "unfair"

• Yes it's obci fair, since no woman is at disadvantage here.

• No, it's not fair

• I find it ironic girls are whipping out statistics and decisions of men in driving then scream about the pay gap

• I understand why but its not equal

• No it's not

• Its usely based on age an driving record

• It's all in the numbers. Higher prices for people who are more risky investments

• No its not fair, how can it be. Im basicicly paying for other peoples mistakes. Just because other people in my same age group are more risky we have to pay for it. Woman on the other hand are lucky. Especially here in the UK england. You can buy a car for 500 pound but insurance will cost like 3000 for 1 year...

• That's the whole point of insurance, though, spreading the risk among a group of people.

• I know it is. Im not arguing against it. It just isn't fair. But then again life isn't fair. If i owned an insurance group i would do the same thing.

• I've seem my girlfriends drive, and it's slow and a bit ditsy [no offence] but relatively safe. As for my guy friends, well let's just say that they do doughnuts in the school parking lot and go 120 km/hr in a 60 zone, so yeah, I'd say that that is totally fair.

• You can say men are more wreckless but it's been shown that women aren't as good drivers as men

• IIRC, women are more likely to have accidents, but men are more likely to kill or be killed in one. I think less death = better driver.