Should you be locked up for making a racist statement?

Yes racists are horrible people, but should they be arrested and put in jail for making them in your opinion?

• Yes they should be locked up
  • No they shouldn't go to jail for that
Would you be ok with fining them for making such statements?
The answer to both these questions should be no. There shouldn't even be a debate about it.

1430

Most Helpful Girl

• no. if i could've had everyone thrown in jail for making racist ass comments to me, my whole neighborhood i grew up in would be in jail and growing up would have been so much easier lol. i had the only chinese family in an entire neighborhood of black people. this was back in the 90s too so like, its not the nice "we all American people here have some chicken gimme your lo mein" type of neighborhood either. if the cops didn't come around as often as they did (regular hourly patrols) i probably would have had my ass beat for just having squinty eyes. if they didn't wanna do that shit back then, i sure as hell dont want OR need them to do that shit now.

• Lol my unpopular opinion: people overreact to racist comments. when people start beating other people for having different ancestry or whatever, then that's a problem. but even then, cops still don't dont anything about it (ive been beat for listening to black artists. not even kidding. and they stole my cd and cd player. I was in like, middle school or whatever. my mom called the cops but they didn't do shit). but hate speech and shit? lol, man the fuck up and stop pussyaching.

Most Helpful Guy

• not only no but HELL NO!! freedom of speech and expression includes hate speech and offensive behavior. because if you are not allowed to have an unpopular or different opinion and are told what are acceptable words and unacceptable words then you live in a dictatorship not a free society. just like someone being charged for terrorist threats is absurd and unconstitutional. because now we live in a world where if someone is purposely trying to anger you and you say if you don't quit I'm going to kick your ass you get a bigger penalty than if you kept quiet and physically assaulted the person. how can the threat of violence be worse than the actual act of committing violence.

What Girls Said 13

• We pay enough in tax dollars to keep the ones who really deserve to be there to live, I'm not saying it should be totally disregarded but realistically how do you prove someone said a naughty word and then lock them up for it? You could claim hearsay for days.

• would you be ok with fining them?

• Again, there's too much of an issue with hearsay. It could so easily be abused so no. Not unless you can prove there was an issue of harassment with the use of racial language then yes you can charge them.

• The prison system is already overcrowded with ignorant people, and victims of a corrupt and broken system.

• What happened to freedom of speech?

• I think as there are pedophile records , and domestic violence perpetratros records there should be a record for this kind of people. So you know who you hire, where they live and any other move they make. So much death, so much hurt is due to racist there should be some type of legal consequence.

• there actually shouldn't no. anyone should be free to express their views no matter how offensive they are. You don't like them you go elsewhere

• you know I get your point. But for me there is a diference between calling someone an idiot for xy reason and openly say that you are against their stupid ideas for xy than taking actions against someone because there race or etnicity. It goes futher deeper than stating against someone because its doing something wrong, illegal or or plainly different. We all know is deeper than that when we ask about race. I think we need to dig deeper in the meaning of race.

• maybe what happened recently in US give you an insight why racist people should be consider violent and dangerous to society. hate speech is not an opinion is hate.

• There wouldn't be enough jail.

• They should do community service

• No because there is freedom of speech, although hate speeches are not condoned. With social Media and all it will come with consequences and backlash.

• No, we can't afford to, nor should we jail everyone who does something distasteful.

• Everybody would be locked up in that case...

• oh sorry i thought you said 'should' my bad

• I have never made a racist statement in my life

• No but they should be fined

• fined for free speech?

• Being weak is bad.

• If you say so

• no they shouldn't be locked up. that's just too much.

• I think they should be locked up. Everyone is entitled to a good life, free of judgement just because of their ethnicity

• And do you really trust the government to be fair and balanced when locking up people for that?

• I do indeed

• So is it fair to say you disagree with the U. S policy on freedom of speech, then? (the "First Amendment").

• Yes. It's hate speech and harmful to society. Change your ways or be locked up, away from society. While in jail, they need to go through education

• No sorry. Once we go that route it's not long until politicians down the line lock their political rivals up over dubious claims about racism. The solution is real simple. Just walk away from them and don't acknowledge their existence

• No, that's cowardly. Racists shouldn't be ignored, they should be punished.

• punish them by shunning them.

What Guys Said 29

• Some people deem offensive vocabulary as racist, so we have to define the term by law. Doing so is word policing and is against the Constitutional Rights to speak your own mind. Remember sticks and stone may break my bones, but words will never hurt me? Why be so sensitive to words that don't effect you. Actions should be punishable not words.

• Definitely not, no.

Who gets to define what is and isn't racist? The Self-Appointed Guardians of Political Correctness, no doubt. They would abso-fucking-lutely love this, if it came to pass.

No, there's absolutely far too many attempts to stifle free speech these days.

• I'm fairly sure there's no Law against hating someone/something. Racism isn't the problem. Even Ethnic Minorities in Foreign countries are racist towards their New Home countries. Racism is ploy to shut down freedom on expression/speech. I'm Asian, and believe me the Chinese are just as racist as the lowest socio-economic hillbilly in the South of the US. It's all personal ideology that noone has the right over.

• Of course not. We have freedom of speech in my country for a reason. If you can be thrown in jail for an opinion, than that means someone in the government has the authority to decide what opinions they can put you in jail for. It's one of the most dangerous things you could allow

• i don't think people should go to jail for having or espousing racist ideas.

• would you be ok with fining them?

• probably not. unless we are getting into hate speech. but someone saying black people like watermelon or white people can't dance shouldn't be something people are fined for

• No, because think of it this way: do we lock up communists for being idiots? No, so we can't lock up bigots, even if we don't agree with them. Also, we all say some mildly racist things sometimes, but there are very few true racists, but we'd all go to jail, in that case.

• Not really but I do believe there should be some penalty if someone chooses to pursue a penalty on the racist remark.

Look, I'm all for free speech but a tool is just as dangerous as someone wielding it. A hammer can build homes or be used to break them down. So if they choose to use it in a hurtful way they should be punished as such. Not as dramatic and drastic as prison but they shouldn't be allowed to walk free

• if a person is making any threats like 'im going to kill you' then yeah there are penalties for that, otherwise, the only penalty they should receive is you walking away from them.

• Words can trigger things like that or provoke someone

• But they don't force them to do things.

• So then almost every single Black American comedian would be locked up?
    That is stupid. There is free speech. Legally you can even tell a cop "fuck you." and he can't do anything about it.

• Nope. This is America, we don't arrest people because they hurt someone's feelings.

• No of course not as much as I hate racism there's a thing called freedom of speech so with that in mind as despicable as racism is it should not be banned

• No, that some Orwelian, SJW shit. Nobody should go to jail for…expressing thoughts. Damn, there shouldn’t be anything as hate speech. People can get so butthurt, seriously.

• no cause if you were punished for racism you'd have to also be punished for saying anything offensive to anyone ever. people would be scared to even talk.

• Sure every time raper or comedian says nigga we should throw them in jail. Because logic. Or whenever someone feels like comment was racist or offensive we should lock them up. While we're at is whenever someone says something that someone finds offensive or hurts someones feelings we should throw them in prison

• What the fuck? No! People have a right to their opinion, no matter how fucked up it is. Putting someone in prison for saying something racist or having racist opinions is following a communist view point. There is nothing lawfully wrong about racism so why the fuck would someone be punished for having racist opinions?

• I'm black and I hear racist shit all day but honestly I wouldn't waste my tax payer money on that. now if you wanna fine them that would be good

• I think yes because racist things are really offensive and violate other people's freedom to live peacefully, so yeah.

• Nope, that would be going against freedom of speech.

• No they shouldn't go to jail for that

• No dude racism isn't that bad unless it
    turns into violence.

• no, it is still freedom of speech, even if most people don't like it

• It's the defamation lawsuit you have to worry about.

• A fine.

• No, they be arrested, nor should the people that punch them in the face for making the comment.

• Im guessing you're one of those liberal sjws?

• Yeah

• Liberals would just love that. Theirs this thing called freedom of speech.

• No. If that were true, half the population would be in jail, cause everything is racist nowadays.

• No but there should be Moral lecture classes that they need to attend

• hell yeah