If someone tells an untruth, but they fully 100% believe it to be true - is it still a lie?

• Yes it's a lie
  • No, it's their truth
  • It's not a lie, but it's something else (what?)
    Vote C
  • Other
    Vote D
Select a gender to cast your vote:

854

Most Helpful Guy

• Absolutely yes.

Like if somebody insists, in the face of all the evidence, that they belong to a particular nationality, when they in fact don't?

Most Helpful Girl

• If you look up what a lie is: an intentional false statement.

If the person doesn't believe it's a lie then they aren't lying to you. If they don't know the truth then they have only their version of it

What Guys Said 53

• The definition of fraud is to use deceit to obtain something of value. In my experience people who lie just happen to tell lies that benefit themselves in some way more often than lies that hurt them! But a person could accidentally tell such a lie... however the honest person will most likely admit they were wrong when challenged. Point is: you can't know for certain what another person believes. You can only look at their actions/pattern of behavior.

If someone states a falsehood but they believe it it's not a lie/lying unless they intentionally set out to deceive in my opinion. Of course if someone is always saying questionable things that benefit themselves it's not a coincidence.

And there are people who are dumb about facts but also don't actually care about facts yet pretend to when they think it helps them. Cult members, diehard political partisans. That's a form of dishonesty too.

• No. A lie is made to deceive. It's intentional, with foreknowledge

• it's not a lie if a person truly believes it to be true.

• like if i ask my two year old daughter what day it is and she says it's Tuesday even though it's Friday clearly she isn't lying it's just that the only day she really knows is Tuesday

• So if you correct her, show her a calendar that says it's Friday but she still insists it's Tuesday? Does it change when she's been corrected?

• until a person understands that they are wrong and still say that the untruth is truth it isn't a lie.

so in my daughter's case until she understands the days of the week as a concept it's not a lie if she calls every day Tuesday she is just a two year ignorant of days of the week

• It's an untruth - but they were not necessarily engaged in the deliberate act of lying.

this idea of 'their truth' is just crap.

They may have thought it to be the truth, but they were wrong.

You could, successfully, argue that makes it a lie. But the word carries a connotation of deliberate decision, which may not be what happened.

Of course, once they know better, if they double down - then they are a fucking liar.

• It's not true, it's not a lie, but it is false.

• No, a lie is when someone says an intentionally wrong statement since they did it unintentionally it is not a lie this is according to the oxford dictionary

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/lie

• I think an untruth told unintentionally would be just a false statement.

• ''Their truth''? There's no such thing. It's not a lie - it's just wrong. If I say I read a study that showed that 1 in 10 people are left handed, but the stats were actually 1 in 9 or 1 in 11, I was just less accurate (and rounded the number) or simply incorrect. That doesn't make me a liar

• Yes it's a lie. When girls say they're still straight even though they masturbate to lesbian porn they 100% percent believe it to be true. But it's a lie. They're either bisexual or lesbian.

• Agree with @PoliceLivesMatter, it's not a lie, since the statement is not made to deceive. It's simply ignorance, on the part of the person making the statement.

• A person who believes in his/her truth can't possibly lie. But that doesn't make them right either.

• A lie is all about intent. If their intent was to deceive you then yes. But if you knew it was a lie or let's say the statement they made has been disproved then it's just innaccurste statement with hopes they'll learn from it lol

• No its just not true. Like in chemistry, and most other sciences, bohr said that electrons move around the nucleus in a circle. We now know that they move around in orbitals that have varying shape depending on the energy. Bohr wasn't lying when he said that he just wasn't telling the truth. He told what he thought to be true. can't get mad at someone fot that.

• no it's not a lie since a lie = an intentionally false statement
    but it's not the truth either since it is false

• Nope. 'Lying' implies nefarious intentions.

• if what they said has indisputable evidence of being wrong, and they believe it, they are just wrong.

• It would be a lie, but the person wouldn't be lying.

• Here is the thing. If someone tell something, what he (for simplicity, SJWs) beliefs, then for him, it’s true, but objectively it’s false. So…it’s relative. ;-)

• Its not a lie its just wrong. A mistake. If you trip and accidentally run into someone its not assault but an accident.

• So if their information is corrected, evidence given to prove that but they still cling to their incorrect belief - how is that a mistake?

• Now that borders on delusion but it is still not a lie. A lie would imply intent to decieve and if that is not the case it is not a lie.

• its the whole basis of hypernormalisation theory but i guess you mean in a different contest so my reply is bullcrap is always bullcrap

• It would only be a lie if they personally don't believe it. Since they do, it is just not true but not necessarily a lie

• a lie is a lie no matter if you knew the truth or not.

• It's not a lie, it's just wrong.

• It is a lie.

• i think you just have to line the statement up with an objective source of facts. whatever the facts say will determine who is lying and who isn't. thats why its often said that "facts dont care about your feelings"

• If it contradicts actual facts then its a lie no matter what they believe.

• Yes, it's a lie. In fact, it's the worst kind of lie: lying to oneself.

• This is why truth is relative.
    Mostly what is true is what is believed to be true by the one who makes the best arguments, talks the loudest or is physically stronger.

• I mean, if I show you a pony right in front of you, but you don't believe it, that's different wouldn't you agree? Or if I flew you out to space and showed you the earth isn't flat. Truth isn't relative.

• not a lie, it is just an inaccurate statement

• not a lie, but maybe a mistake

• It's not a lie, it's wrong. I'm not sure what you mean by "their truth," since that's not really a thing. If I tell you a hippo is bigger than an elephant I'm wrong, but I'm not lying.

• If someone 100% believes something to be absolute that is their version of the truth. Whether that is right or wrong is what the question is

• If they're wrong about it, then it's not the truth, it's an incorrect belief. I wouldn't call it a lie, since it's not deceptive.

• More from Guys
    23

What Girls Said 7

• Yes it's still a lie, even if the person believes it's true. Regardless of a person believes it or not, it's still not the truth

• Not a lie, but not the truth... its their belief.

• It's still a lie. And, depending on their relation to you, they're either an idiot or adorably naive.

• To lie would be if they said something other than they knew to be true, so if they think its true and its false.. :) then they are just wrong (that's not lying)

• I would say it depends on what they're saying

• They're not lying, they just don't know the real truth.

• If they're told the real truth but refuse to believe it?

• I still wouldn't classify it as lying. That person is being honest even their perception is wrong.

• Yes. A lie is a lie regardless of How much they believe it. I mean 1 plus 1 is never going to equal 5, no matter how much they think it is