What's the most valuable life lesson you have learned because of a mistake?

78146

Most Helpful Guy

• There is absolutely, positively, in no way, shape or form... ANYTHING that can substitute for good 'lol fashioned hard work.

Doesn't matter how smart and talented you are.

I will admit i was one of those people, who tried to 'smart' their way out of putting in the grind and the time, to accomplish something.

Most Helpful Girl

• Opposites may attract, but birds of a feather flock together. Just because you are attracted to your opposite, does not mean you should date them. They do not balance you out by being everything you are not; it only causes you to have less you enjoy doing together and less of the same viewpoints. Similar tastes in music and events, similar energy levels, and similar political and life viewpoints do matter and make a difference in your relationships.

• well thats an awesome point you made.
      how did you learn it?

• sounds reasonable to me.
      well then: enjoy life to the fullest πŸ˜™πŸΎπŸ₯‚πŸŽˆπŸŒ

What Guys Said 145

• When I was in high school, I had a small time when I was so unsure of what I wanted to do with my life. Sooner to my graduation, I came to an amazing realization of myself and my future.

Just do what you like.

I was focused on making money and just that. I didn't take my personality or enjoyment into consideration. Also this notion is reinforced by many older folk saying the same thing. Even at 100 years old! I'm glad I learned this early

• Pull out... always pull out.

Unless you really don't mind being financially and generally responsible for 18 (or more if your kid's retarded) years... you're responsible for the poop that comes out their butts, and training them to poop in a toilet. If you can't even do it properly with a house pet, just stop, no, and don't.

Yet all of us have seen that household. Kids are there, pets too, and there's the pads or newspaper laid out on the ground because they can't keep the animal from duke nuking the carpet... and there's the kids doing drugs in the yard/garage.

• VALUABLE LESSONS:
    -Never trust someone fully
    -Never be dependent on someone
    -Girls goes to look for another guy once they get bored
    -You can never change how you look
    -Your choice defines you
    -Working hard does give you a tasty fruit in life
    -Loneliness decreases your lifespan
    -Being lonely helps you think a lot and get a clear idea of people around you
    -Be good to people and you'd get treated the same way
    -Help others in need, and one day you'll see a MIRACLE

• Never own anything 50-50 and always have a contract that imagines the worst case scenarios and what will happen as a result.

People can go from rational to irrational, especially with outside influences, and if there are no barriers or penalties for poor performance or bad behavior (because you trusted them 5 years ago), you will be fucked and have no recourse.

• Two answers easy.. (1) Dont drink & drive. Bottom line:$150,000 for all fines, attorney fees, DUI repeat offender program. That's not to even mention my insurance rates! (2) Dont marry someone who has multiple failed marriages. It was my first and her third. Ours together lasted longer then her first two combined. After our divorce she was engaged within a year. That guy #4 died of liver & kidney failure. Now, #5 has some time time in from what I hear. Remember this... There's a reason marriage and her dont get along. No bashing on my ex, she's still my ex and I loved her @ one time. I wish her well.

• If you feel in trouble, focus on solutions.
    That will avoid your problems drive you mad.
    Once you're in control, working on solutions, things take a turn for the better and adrenaline levels go down :D
    I've done the opposite all too often but have now learnt this vital practice.

• 1) You cannot trust anyone other than yourself
    2) There's no one who really cares for you except your own family
    3) Friends are counted in quality, not in quantity
    4) Sometimes you must not visit a party even when you're been invited
    5) Be careful with girls

• I'd agree with all but the first two of these. There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. I have not once been given reason to doubt the love and loyalty of my friends. I have friends that I trust more than I trust myself because I know I can deceive myself when I don't want to admit the truth, yet I know my friends to be honest with me and to be trustworthy.

Additionally there have been enough times when I've seen people tormented by their families to know that there's no guarantee that your family are the ones in whom you should trust. I have friends whose fathers abused them physically and sexually, and others whose mothers tormented them and tore them down. Not to say you can't trust your family... but neither should they be those whom you always or automatically trust. Trust should be given to those who prove themselves worthy of such, we may choose to believe in some people whether we truly trust them or not, but true trust and reliance should not be given casually.

• True enough. And I'm glad that you've been able to learn those lessons, just so long as you remember that they may not apply to everyone. :)

• @EpicDweeb Yeah, sure they don't apply to everyone. I too know people who's got bad problems with their families and with friends who are more than brothers

• Don't trust anyone. You can only look after yourself.

• Use the time that you have and never waste any of it.. Live your life to the fullest.. Spend your time with the people you love, for they might not be there forever.. That's pretty much it.

• Dont judge others. I do judge otherz and my problem is i can't accept there flaws. Like being weird is okay, being silly is okay, but when people who has the most negitive vibes hang around me ill distance myself and judge them. But im not wrong either. What i say they are i dont like them cause of that, turns out be true. But when people judge me its cause im too nice or do weird stuff and i get teased for it.
    So imma stop judging people and let them willow in there own filth.

• You never need to worry about anything. Truly, only God is what matters.

• be nice to people. it's always worth it. if they do something bad with bad intention, then punish. if they do it with good intentions, or at least, no evil intention, then forgive. lose your ego, treat people with respect, and don't make fun of them cause they are going through pain, sorrows and regrets they're not telling you about.
    consume a lot of food and water before getting drunk, or you'll puke.
    drink coffee, and before you fall in love, know the person's intention.

have a super-duper day !

• That if you want to convince people of anything, you shall present it to them as an alternative option.

Because more important than getting it right, is having the freedom of choice. When people get stubborn is because they are protecting that.

• Don't focus on being liked by others. Focus on liking yourself.

• Follow your gut instinct and put pride aside.

• Keep most my important secrets for myself and never share them with anyone.

• That greens really are good for you.

• how fragile our bodys are
    (breaking my finger on a nfl ball)

OR

That only you can save you
    (getting out of being obese)

• That we all know exactly what we should do, but we let fear stop us. Always trust your instincts and don't fear failure, looking stupid, feeling a certain way, losing what you have and so on. Every major life mistake I've made was reiterating this lesson in me, because every time I had an instinct and either ignored it or didn't listen to it because of some fear or reasoning it away.

I think most people have that instinct, but get out of touch/habit of listening to it.

• Keep your values even if it's gonna cause you a major loss

• Mistake: Giving up on myself for another in a relationship.

Lesson: It's important to learn how to love yourself because we won't be able to distract ourselves by loving others forever.

• Thankfully haven't fucked up that much so far but when you go into a relationship make sure all past relationships are done with cos that can cause a fucked up relationship from the start

• marry for love but don't let love blind you to serious problems with the other person

• Fools learn from mistakes
    Wise learn from history

• To not trust people, to not take friendships with people serious. I will lose it anyway.
    I'm the one that will achieve success and i have to do it alone not with friends so I don't need friends. The only thing friends can do is backstabbing gossip and lying.

• That was deep. You don't need friends but having them sure is nice.

• yeah man I'm trying to make friends on the internet but either I cut them off or they cut me off

• i like your discussion

personally i still make the experience of deep trusting friendship - i learned how it really works with 25...

• First choices are usually your best choices always listen to that little voice in your head but not those other voices LOL

• Don't waste your life by going to university for 6 years doing a course you don't want to do. And being miserable stuck in the job for the rest of your life. It only leads to anxiety and depression.

• that nobody owes you anything, that happy endings are absurdly unlikely, that you're responsible for your own happiness, but you aren't more responsible for someone else's than they are.

• Never take things for granted.

• if a person hurts u with same reason many times its time to get away from them.

• More from Guys
    115

What Girls Said 77

• True friends who actually care about each other, should open up to each other, or at least let them know when they're going through a difficult time, even if they can't talk about it right then.

If you don't tell them that something is wrong, it's not their fault if you get overwhelmed, offended, and normal everyday interactions between you, as personally insulting.

Conversely, if you do actually care, you should be aware of changes in behavior, and have the presence of mind to ask if they're maybe not doing so well, and try to not lean on them as much.

• I would say, don't fully trust anyone, because chances are 99% that you will be proved wrong, and will be left so shocked.. no matter how much innocent and kind they look or act,, just don't.

Second, dont dream too big, dont dream of ultimate happiness and amazing endings,,, they are so rare to happen.

• ManπŸ˜• I learned how to be better with money and spend it on things that I need before what I want. In February I was involved in a little car accident with my family and we all got 2.5k from it and the kids got 1.5k, my mom first said I should save the money to get a car but then she let me do whatever with it and since I was supposed to be going back to college, I brought clothes, shoes, and even 3 wigs that I'm really not even interested in anymore. I needed the clothes and shoes though and was mostly shopping sales and stuff and even after, I still had a lot left. I decided to go visit my family in another state and that took most of the rest of my money. I found out I'm not going back to the university I went to last year and I regret it often that I didn't buy a used care with my money especially now that I really need one. I didn't work at all over the summer and now I'm literally broke with the only good thing coming from the money was a laptop. I'm glad this happened at 20 because I'm never letting this happen again

• Without health, you have nothing left.

• To get someone else's best, give your best first and expect nothing in return but your own joy in knowing you have done so. But wait patiently for them to respond in kind. And wait some more if needed-but keep trying and keep giving or you'll look back and regret that you didn't give it your best Cherish your deepest relationships-family and friends like family. Nurture them with with your heart, body, and spirit for that is what matters most in life-How you treated and served others.

• Never EVER drive drunk!
    Wrecked my car, had to go to court, spent over $3000 getting everything back in order and then had to buy a new car.
    There is always a better option then getting behind the wheel

• Always think about the cons in addition to the pros. Even take the cons more seriously.
    Don't always do things for your own benefit. Think about others.
    Love your family. Don't ignore your family. Don't leave your family. Don't bully your family.
    Be realistic when thinking of a relationship of any kind.
    Do not be afraid to be the first to speak.
    Some ways of coping with a situation are more beneficial than others.
    When overthinking a bad memory or situation, remember that people will probably not remember 10 years from now. p, if even that long.
    Do not always make decisions for yourself, but do not sacrifice your life away.

• I haven't learn them by mistakes:
    1. Don't lie, you would have to say more lies just because of one lie.
    2. True love does exist.
    3. People aren't as bad as you think, and aren't as good as you think.
    4. Love at first sight is rubbish, it doesn't exist.
    5. Attraction (between opposite genders) is there, but when it happens, you shouldn't lose your control.
    6. Waiting till marriage for sex is the best thing to do.
    Learnt all from a decent man in my life.

• i appreciate your points and i only disagree with point 4 - i would say: never say never

• ok i see - so all the best!

• @philipph Thank you. Good luck with life ahead.

• to stand up for something you believe is right morally or otherwise, and that it doesn't matter if no one else cared

• When you put someone on a pedestal, they can only look down on you.

Instead, put yourself on a pedestal. Love yourself first.

• Don't lower your standards because of loneliness

• - Always trust your gut
    - Never brag about something before success
    - Be yourself, there will always be people who will like you and who don't, so never try to please others
    - Honest communication is a must for every relationship
    - Never let anyone to take your final decision
    - Ambitions, patience, stubbornness& confidence are they keys to success, you always should know what you really want first& how much effort you're willing to put

• Watch what you say online. It can and does come back to bite you.

• To give all I have. To see through people. πŸ’•πŸ‘ΌπŸ˜‡ Trust God for I have and Trust God with what I do. Trust before you Mistrust. πŸ˜ŠβœŒπŸ’•

• If you don't like something, say it right there and then. Don't be shy and beat around the bush because you don't want to unsettle someone or because you want to keep the peace.
    Got myself into far too many situations just because I wanted to be the easy going girl.

• That people usually don't change, if your not happy now with that person you won't be 25 years later still hoping certain behavior will be corrected

• They can change if they want to, but that's usually not connected with you wanting them to change.

• Marsha003 You mean you'll never be able to change yourself or there's nothing for you to change within yourself?

• Improving by definition means doing something different.

• The life teaches you the lesson until you learn it.

• Don't put your happiness on someone else's shoulders. The fullest of your happiness can only be achieved by appreciating yourself.

• Always bring a buddy to a party if I'm gonna be drinking

• never stop dating your spouse

• Never trust anyone, not even family. If you feel like a person is not trustworthy, do not ignore your gut instincts.

• Learning to move on with life after a relationship.πŸ–πŸ˜Š

• Patience is everything, & to wait upon the Lord for his guidance & direction. Without him I've made terrible mistakes because I didn't seek him first.

• You can get rid of a case of the crabs with flea shampoo.

• Don't eat Doritos if you plan to get really drunk. They are all stabby when they come back up.

But DO eat cantaloupe, it tastes the same coming back up.

• Thanks for disgusting me like 5 times in the course of the 5 seconds it took me to read that.

• @GeorgeDubyaKUSH Right?

• That i am valuable and lovable, that I can have boundaries and I shouldn't fear people getting angry at me for making my life choices, and that i am not responsible for anyone but myself, that I need to work on my empathy skills and self acceptance, I need to learn to forgive myself and allow myself to have rest and feel loved is ok!!

• you really sound like a reflected and selfcaring women that also is interested in leaving a significant helpful impact for others.
      i am interested what - brought you so far in life?

• dear HOAAH
      i am stunned by your painful experience which my words couldnot express properly - to go through such time must be horrendous agony! at the same time i am deeply thankful you are developing such resilience!

would you like to share with me your own vision of your life?

• @philipph my vision of life is to seek wisdon and understanding, to self improve through self help groups and books and counseling. Also, I try to figure out what evil is so i can avoid evil people, and what righteousness is so i can seek to do it. I read a lot of Ann Rule books to figure out what evil looks like. I also attend lots of conferences and classes on how to be a better wife, mom and person.

• Life's too short to be afraid of trying something new and different.

• It's important to wait till your body is ready to have sex. Not because one thinks they are ready. I was 12.

• were u forced in it... i developed feelings but didn't got to know about u intercourse until bn the age of 15.. indian society ethics lol...

• no I wasn't forced. I thought I was ready

• lol.. b4. coming to gag i even doubted that girls know that penis goes inside vagina or not? and that they like sex kr not!!!

• If you think someone is your grandma in a store, wait until they turn around to confront them. Also if a cool girl asks you a question, don't answer with "umm I don't know i guess" because then you won't have friends.

• Be honest with yourself.

• Everything will work out for the good. And that it is never too late to get a do-over.

• More from Girls
    47