Is it bad not to be surprised/shocked by tragedies anymore?

Like shootings, or bombings, etc.
This shit happens like every two weeks. You turn on the news and there's a bomb going off at a concert or someone driving their car into a crowd of people. At first stories like this were so horrible and shocking. But now i'm just like. "whatever, whats new? "

Not that it isn't horrible. It is. it's just not a surprise.
Is it bad that i'm so desensitized to it?

Actually the manchester bombing did kind of effect me a bit. because i was at an ariana grande concert not long before it happened. and i also follow a bunch of ariana fan pages on instagram so I saw people post stuff like "i can't wait for my concert tonight" right before it happened
When I was writing the question yesterday I was going to right "I bet something will probably happen tomorrow" and then i deleted it. But a van drove into a crowd of people in Barcelona today. soooo... I was right.

1312

Most Helpful Girl

• No, it's understandable. like every minute of every day of every week something bad happens. It's easier to cope when the shock value is gone. The people that act like this is the only bad thing that has ever happened are stranger in my opinion. Do I think it's terrible? yes, and I want it to stop. But from a young age, I understood that this world is messed up.. It's not as if it just happened last week. But crying about it does nothing. either find a way to change it, help other people through it, or shut up.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not surprised by anything on the news these days. Frankly, I think it's always been like this we just haven't had the technology to hear about all the tragedies that happen.

What Girls Said 12

• I understand you aren't shocked... it's sad we're getting used to it. But if you actually watch the footage and don't feel some emotion I would check yourself. Everything going on is so sad. I watched Vice news' actual footage of Charlottesville and those men were full of such hatred it was hard for me to watch. They had very graphic up close footage of the car that hit the crowd of people and I did not cry but had tears in my eyes. You don't have to be shocked, but I think it's important to remember to feel something. I feel really sad about it all.

• I haven't seen the video of the car going into the crowd, I dont really want to watch it because those kinds of videos always stays on my mind for a couple days.
      but I've seen disturbing videos before. they dont make me sad, just shocked. sometimes i can't stop thinking about it

• I'm desensitized by everything. I want to care, but I just don't really care. SJWs and everyone else is so interested in everything and everyone that I'll let them do all the "caring" for me. I'll have my own life and the tragedies that happen within it.

• It's definitely less surprising now-a-days because the reporting of crimes is on the rise, which is making people to getting used to such news. I couldn't say they have become less sensitive to them though. It's just that, there is nothing much a common man could about it and feels helpless. Personally, I feel quite stirred and disturbed by such issues. 😱😰😮

• No, I am too. We should all try to help the people in tragedy though

• Nothing Surprises me Here anymore, With What is More in Store.
    It is What it Is. xx

• Not bad. I'm the same way, but other times I get upset and can't sleep. It's a defense mechanism. For me, I think it was being 6 at the time of 9/11 did it. Tragedy just happens. There's nothing I can do to stop it, so why waste time dwelling on it?

• It's not, it's so common that even as a kids I wasn't shocked neither surprised with it. The only one who surprised me was when a terrorist attacked a church.

• I feel the same way. I do get angry though because no one can actually enjoy a vacation anymore thanks to these idiots as we constantly have to watch are backs. And by we I mean anyone who is not a terrorist.

• yeah we are completely desensitize which isn't good.

• not bad, sad

• It's sad to say, but history is repeating itself... I'm heartbroken by all the tragedies

• No it's not bad

What Guys Said 11

• No. I don't even pay attention any more. I've been watching this stuff go down for over 50 years. I don't let myself be affected by it. It always passes. It's extremely rare for current events to have much lasting impact, even the ones that seem like big news at the time.

There have been some full out genocides in my life with millions of people getting killed. The word goes on. The human race is highly resilient. You can look back through history at some of the shit humankind has gone through. Not all man-made shit, but plagues, natural disasters, all kind of stuff. Somehow humans mange to survive, and even thrive. There is nothing going on in the world today that we haven't already survived in the past.

• Sometimes I just don't want to hear about it anymore. Sometimes I get numb to it, since people don't seem to have much care for humanity, just in themselves. But deep down, I still care if someone who should have a chance at life has that taken away from them without a fighting chance and unfairly.

• I'm the same, I'm not surprised whenever a terrorist attack happens anymore. It is pretty sad to feel that way, though.

I remember back then it was; "OH MY GOD A TERRORIST ATTACK" and now we're like; "Another terrorist attack? *shrugs*"

• no I'm not surprised. If someone dropped a nuke on us I wouldn't be surprised or alive in that matter.

• It's sad, but not bad. Sad that's the state of the world right now. I'm still effected by it when it happens, but logically in my head it was foreseeable so I'm not shocked. Just ugh

• it is bad. but its not bad as in your bad. its bad as in showing too much of this has happened. one of my old shows has a good example of this. the walking dead. after so many seasons when ever something bad happend they just accept it as "shit happens"

• Lol I laughed at the Manchester bombing. That was fucking hilarious

• It's pretty normal for you to be desensitized to this kind of thing. What isn't normal is how the media constantly twists tragedy to their agenda.

• Well it's not surprising so no it's not bad

• its the way this young generation is brought up no morals no respect so therefore they feel nothing

• I guess this stuff is in the news a lot and not really a surprise anymore