Do you ever find it rude when people tell you to "just chill"?

Let's say you have anxiety issues and you are telling some your problems. As well as how you feel and they say "just chill" how would you react to that?

1228

Most Helpful Guy

• That is incredible effective way to make people lose their shit, I wish there could be a similarly powerful effect if I said like "freak out"

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm diagnosed with GAD, I think that sure, it'd be a little rude for someone to tell me just to chill but usually, I try and remember that they're probably not trying to be rude. To them, it's probably just not a big deal, they don't get that it's like the sky is falling down for me :P So yeah, a little irritating and maybe a bit rude, but I try and remember that most people likely don't consider it a big deal.

What Guys Said 27

• It is invalidating and rude - it's like telling someone with depression or mental illness that it's all in their head and to "get over it"

• Yes I do. I'll be like "how do I just chill when I feel like I'm about to throw up in front of everyone"?

• i find it stupid. cause never in the entire human history, did telling someone to "chill" or "calm down" make them go like "youΒ΄re right, maybe i should calm down" xD it always makes people explode.

• well i chill because that would calm my nerves and that's good even if it's hard to chill lol but next time when they will talk about their problem i will troll them and say just chill too πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• I would not talk to them again.

• Uhm, kinda. They're acting as though they've said something revolutionary, as if we didn't know that it would be better to chill already, although I'm well aware that it's coming from the best place/wishes so I can't think of it as of something rude.

• I wouldn't speak to them again for a while if ever again.

• I would be upset about it but people will do that they don't care.
    When people don't want be bothered with hearing about us they
    will do that yes it's rude but we also got to consider what's giving us
    anxiety. I live under stress and it's affected both my physical and
    mental health illnesses. I already have mental health problems but
    people in my environment are making my mental health worst.

• Wow, just chill girl! πŸ˜‚ no one has really told me that but on the other side of it, I rarely loose my temper.

• Why? Have I lost my sanity?

• Most people don't know what you're going through when they say that, so for the most part, yeah, I don't like it.

• Walk Away..

• I really get angry when people say that

• I think it's good advice

• im a sensitive guy to a certain extent i get pretty butthurt easily cause i try to help out people alotπŸ˜§πŸ™‚ so it depends if im doing something wrong or not

• that is pretty rude

• I punch them in the throat.

• Punch them in their privates

• i do if i have something to say but they wish to ignore that

• Mehh

• got a question for you guys on this. is it that the person said just chill or do they need to add on just chill relax calm down you gotta wait see what happens? for it to sound better? isn't getting that advice when someone is acting rash acceptable?

• I would be slightly bothered

• I usually just tell them to go to hell

• Just "chilling" isn't going to fix anything
    B****

• No I appreciate the solid advice lol why didn't I think of that!

• Depends on why the anxiety

• Erhm talk with em bout it

What Girls Said 11

• Yeah, because it's invalidating your feelings. It's like saying, I can't deal with your intense feelings, so shut your pie hole already. It really hurts when someone doesn't validate our feelings, and even attacks them. We'd prefer that someone was an ally, and empathized with how we feel, perhaps even sharing our sense of indignation or at least trying to find out what terrible thing is making us feel like that, and blame that thing instead of you, the victim.

It's the same phenomenon with guys and their egos. They're just really sensitive about anything that attacks their sense of manliness, competence and intelligence.

Maybe we could all just be a little more sensitive to each others soft spots. Actually, when either sex is ranting about something, they usually prefer you take their side instead of that stupid neutral side telling them to calm down.

• Yes I do. It's hypocritical for me to say this because I think I've said it to people before but it makes me feel like people are belittling my worry of something.

• Yup. When that happens I just get away from them.

• I guess I'd tell them, "if I could, I would"
    not to brag but that should be on my tombstone πŸ˜‚

• I say, "Okay, yeah, I'm chill."

In my head I think, "I'm so chill I'm not talking to you anymore. It's gonna be so chill, I'm freezing you out."

And I never speak to them again about anything personal because obviously they're not someone I can trust with my issues. I only confide in safe, supportive people.

• If you want to piss me off, tell me to "chill". That gets under my skin SO much. Especially if there's a legitimate reason for me to be worked up.

• I HATE it. It makes me even more annoyed

• Sometimes depending on ma mood and situation

• It's rude and it makes me angrier.

• When they "just chill" they don't care.

• I would think that they would not be able to understand how I feel or what I am saying is not a big deal to them, and so that, I would drop the conversation or change the topic.