Define Hate speech in your own words?

Want to see how people define it.

730

Most Helpful Girl

• It is something liberals came up with because they can't handle other people's opinions.

Most Helpful Guy

• I would give a legitimate definition as being speech that is directly hostile, prejudiced and discriminatory with no room for ambiguity. It is speech that encorages hatred and division. It is speech that could lead to violence, if not directly advocating it. It is not anything that might offend someone, it is not subjective to any degree, it is objectively hateful.

This is not an exhaustive list and there would have to be a lot more clarifications and clauses to make it watertight, but it gives a feeling of where my opinion lies.

• and in your opinion that kind of speech isn;t protected by the first amendment?

• I'm not too up on the first amendment, I'm English. I would have to read into it. Don't get me wrong, I do not believe that many forms of speech should be banned even if directly offensive. I don't think that there is a place to be saying that we should kill people of a particular race, religion or creed in any kind of public forum by anyone of clear influence. Some dickhead online saying kill muslims is irrelevant. A public official saying it is very relevant and there should clearly be issues with that.

What Girls Said 6

• A derogatory remark that based solely on race, creed, gender, sexuality, or physical appearance. A statement of intolerance made in judgment of one based on traits that maybe out of their control and not a choice, and have nothing to do with the character of the individual.

• There is no such thing.

• Speech that incites violence or other infringements upon the rights of a specific demographic group.

• what specific demographic group is that?

• And in your opinion should that kind of speech be protected by the first amendment?

• Words meant to incite a reaction which may lead to violence.

• Talking against a certain group of people... or gender or nationality

• Being disrespectful and abusive.

What Guys Said 29

• In reality, "hate speech" is any speech offends any group that is considered a protected class by those in power. In our society, everyone is allowed to say whatever bigoted or hateful thing they want about/against white people, especially white males, such as "#killallwhitemales" (or that white people are edomites/white devils, have no souls, and were created by a black scientist named Yakub), but no one is allowed to point out negative yet truthful statements that might cast a non-white in a bad light, such as truthfully saying that jews fully and exclusively and fully control Hollywood and the news media (and use both to spread propaganda that "uplifts"and impoves the public image of jews, blacks and illegal immigrants, as well as propaganda that is designed to demonize, vilify, or mock white people), or that blacks commit a disproportionate amount of violent crime, or that illegal immigrant gang members from Mexico are in fact not noble and loving guests that culturally enrich America that should be welcomed with open arms but are instead invaders and colonizers.

Basically, you can only be guilty of hate speech if you say something bad (truthful or non-truthful, but especially truthful) about non-whites, and usually only if you're white yourself. In effect, hate speech is any speech that questions or challenges privilege that jews or any other non-whites hold, or any speech that any speech that is an obstacle to the jew plot to use diversity and multiculturalism to "brown down" America, make white people a minority in America, and replace all white people in America with an all-brown/black population. It has been said that, if you want to know which group really has privilege or power, or really controls America, controls the world, or controls YOU, then ask yourself which group you are not allowed to criticize...

• Speech that is intended to incite general hatred and social violence against a given demographic group or groups.

Should it be protected by the first amendment? Depends on the context. If that speech is likely to have negative consequences for innocents, then no. People's right to say what they think end when it crosses other's right to safety. But I am generally loose about that line. I think neo nazis can say whatever they want and blame immigrants if they want to. The rest of us have to fight ideas with ideas and not wish any nazis would just shut up. They are not at fault for their prejudices. However if their actions endanger others, that's a different story.

• I don't have a strong opinion on it's definition, but it has been protected by the supreme court many times, most recently by the band the "slants." Yes I support free speech, unless it's pretty much like a threat which is exactly how the court has ruled.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwQuuvKMsWU

4/5 of our founding fathers may have owned slaves, but they did an amazing job developing our constitution. I don't think it could be replicated as well today.

• Hate is as such a strong emotion, that people that say they hate something don't even come close to it. You actually have to want it not to exist to hate something or someone. Like hate to me is someone that you find enjoyment in killing over and over again and would never shed a tear or have regrets doing it.

• Also, hate is a pollution to the soul. You will loose yourself to it if you let it consume you.

• Well there's a moement that suggests hate speech shouldn't be protected by the first amendment. if you start spouting hate speech you should be sent to jail. Do you agree with that?

• I suppose. But also, not accepting my attitude to hate speech or controlling how I feel about hate speech also goes against the first amendment. So the free speech is a point that should be addressed more accurately. As in, if it is something that is to antagonize or to coerce violence on a person or to suggest violence should be brought upon a person or something to this effect.

• Talking down/about a certain group of people for illogical reasons. As in talking down about some one because of their nationality or religious or political beliefs and assuming they're bad people because of it.

For example, people assuming all Muslims are terrorists or all Trump supporters are racist. Now that's not to say there aren't muslim terrorists or racist Trump supporters. But a fraction of the population isn't a fair representation of the entire group as a whole.

• in your opinion should that kind of speech not be protected by the first amendment?

• @Toad-1 It should actually. Personally I think let the loonies and assholes say what they want, as long as they are not assaulting/attacking people because if you try to keep them from talking, you're only going to create more resistance. We've seen it happen with so many people that some many hate within this past year.

The problem with trying to strip people of their constitutional rights, is where does it stop? A lot of extreme leftists don't understand this, and they will only understand this once someone tries to strip them of their first amendment right and keeps them from talking. Only then will they understand why a lot of people were saying let the assholes talk, even if you disagree with it.

• I feel like we give way too much power to words, it allows for racists to be racist, homophobes to be homophobes etc way easier than it should be. The N word is widely accepted between two black people however if anyone else says it, its mainly deemed as racist. This isn't benefitting anyone other than the racists as it gives them the power to do so. When you stop the power being given to all these words then the power to these people have been stolen. I view it as a gun, these words are bullets and racists homophobes etc use this gun as its a quick and easy way to hurt someone. If you were to take away these bullets it would be far more difficult to hurt people. Obviously it would still be possible to hurt people still with the gun but it'd be far harder. As far as hate speech goes on the whole its speech that directly imposes hate on to someone or incites others to hate on it. The issue with that definition is anything could potentially be described as hate speech in that case, say your country has been invaded by another country and you vent your anger, would that not be hate speech?

• Hate speech is any kind of speech that carries no value other than to express hatred or dislike for a group of people based on race, religion, gender, etc. By "no value", I mean you aren't communicating some piece of information or criticizing something that actually happened. For example:

"Fuck white people. They oppress blacks." <-- hate speech
    "Fuck those white people, for oppressing blacks last week" <-- not hate speed

"Fuck black people. They're all welfare queens." <-- hate speech
    "Fuck that black guy. He stole my wallet yesterday." <-- not hate speech

• Absolutely. As long as we all understand what the First Amendment is protecting here. The First Amendment protects you from being arrested and thrown in jail for saying things. It does not protect you from me walking over and punching you in the face for saying the wrong thing to me (although technically that's assault and you're protected from that by other laws).

• Anyone who is in favor of censorship is violating the 1st Amendment.

• Words that inspire hate towards others based on race, religion, nationality, orientation, gender, disabilities, creed, and ethnicity

• Of course. I'm all for retards tellin on themselves. I'd rather know the dude a racist than 90% of y'all candy assaes on here who say the most ignant ass shit doing the most mental gymnastics I've ever seen just to prove they ain't racist 😒

Psa- if y'all gotta spend more time defending how your point ain't racist than talking about your actual opinion, it's more than likely racist... And you can replace that with any of the other things I mentioned (gender, religion, orientation, etc)

• just another form of censorship based on feelings. hate is an irrational feeling. it cannot be banned from society.

• Things we say that hurt othere based off our bias, stupidity, ignorance, or just a in asshole nature. Yeah, some times it is ignorance or stupidity, buy far too often it is just to be an asshole. And the problem is that the real thing that makes it hate speech, is the fact that it is something the person has no control over. Which just means you are being an asshole for no reason.

• Letting your disliking for something or someone get the best of you and get carried away as you lose your logical sense, just to get the frustration out of your system

• people who talk shit without a valid reason or evidence to validate their statement. And just because you don't like them or something in your ansestory is wrong i. e. slavery, Holocaust, natives being kicked out of their land by the pilgrimage, and so on. You didn't live through it so stop acting like you deserve compensation for it just live your life

• And on your opinion should that kind of speech be protected by the first amendment?

• Honestly? Yes. Even though I do find it those types of conversations annoying and ignorant. It is still freedom of speech. To revoke that right just because it is wrong and have to valid points that couldn't hold a solid argument is like saying they should take away the right to bare arms just because people use the weapons to kill others. You can't take away a human right just because someone is using their human right to cause problems with others.

• have no valid point*

• Hate speech is when someone is threatening or inciting violence, abuse, etc towards a person or group of people.

"Obama was a shitty president. Trump should be impeached." = not hate speech

"Death to all Jews! Don't let n***ers ruin America! Stop the dirty Muslims before they all bomb us!" = hate speech

• So in your opinion that kind of speech isn't protected by the first amendment?

• It's certainly a slippery slope. To a certain degree I don't think hate speech should be punished by law (though being fired from your job, thrown out of an establishment, banned from an event, etc is completely within reason).

However, I don't believe you can say absolutely anything without any consequence. In extreme cases, where the hate speech creates public unrest, incite mass violence, makes serious threats, etc, in those cases, they should not be protected by the First Amendment

• I'm not really sure there is such a thing. I'm from the "words do no physical harm" camp.

• I guess if you said "Take a gun and go kill this person right now"

Other then that I would defend anyone's right to say anything.

• I don't believe in hate speech, one can say whatever they want and I can leave/stop talking to him/her whenever I want. The only type of speech I'm against is one that promotes violent acts or encouraging someone to do something bad like suicide.

• A person being rude. Hate speech shouldn't apply to having a different opinion.

• Hate speech: A nonsensical idea which is used as an attempt by authoritarians to silence those with differing opinions.

Hate speech is protected by natural law and under the constitution also.

• opinions are opinions. opinions lead to war and peace.

"Hate speech" is subjective and will never get resolved.

• Great question because I have no idea what it is..

• I hate you @toad-1 :)

• Just listen to some of Donald Trumps speeches and that tells us lot.

• I see hate speech as when you are verbally assaulting a singular person or a group if people just for them being different from you and/or a group of people, for instance we have black discrimination, Antisemitism and the disabled

• Being hateful towards a certain group of people or person

• I hate you. *Sarcasm*

• I don't believe in hate speech call me whatever you want

• Speech used with the intention of portraying a specific and innocuous demographic as entirely negative. Although I feel this is broad.

• putting down an other group due to race or religion