Do americans realise they have ridiculously big houses?

I'm not saying all, but like, a standard suburbian house is fucking gigantic and extremely cheap. If you want to buy a house for 200.000 euros in the Netherlands, you're gonna get this:
Which is a house with one bathroom, often times two bedrooms, a kitchen and living area, maybe a separate toilet, a hall way and an attic.

I browse shows or the internet sometimes and all your houses seem to have like 4 bathrooms and 5 bedrooms? What the fuck? Why do you need this many bathrooms? What do you do with them?

• Yes, we do.
  • No, we don't.
  • Never thought about it much..
    Vote C

1438

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't know about everyone else, but I do. I was in the building industry. The houses keep getting bigger and bigger, and more luxurious. But I think the growth in size has tapered off.

For one thing, we have a whole lot of room. That's especially true in the Midwest and some other areas where not only are the houses big, but so are the lots.

Post WW2 most new houses in the suburbs were probably around 800-1200 sq ft ( approx 75 - 100 sq meters). They gradually increased to around 1500-2000 during the 70s. Then even more to around 2500-3500 (230-325 sq meters). Some are even bigger. Most of the ones I was building were around 3500-4500 (325-410).

Lots in the Midwest are very commonly 1/2 acre ( 30x60 ) of land per house.

Number of bedrooms has increased. Number of bathrooms has increased. All rooms have gotten much bigger in area, and very often higher ceilings as well. This at a time when the average number of people in a household decreased.

Why? Mostly because people can afford it. They have way more money than they used to. Interest rates affect it. Four walls of a big room takes only slightly more labor to build than a room half the size. Cost of materials are also more efficient. They can just afford a lot more than they used to.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, the house that i share with my fiancé is 2,600sqft. 4 bedrooms 2 bath plus a 400 sqft sunroom. Then we have a detached 4 care garage with a studio apartment above the garage and another garage an 800 sqft office. We use one bedroom for ourselves, another for an exercise room a third room for a guest room and 4th room for an office. Then the apartment my fiancé uses as a studio. The office in the other garage is used for storage for materials that I use for an online business. The house sits on six acres. Its an average sized home for the area.

What Guys Said 37

• I have a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom house. I bought it for $67,000 on a short-sale and have been renovating it ever since. I use one of the bedrooms as a home office, one will be the nursery, and one is a guest bedroom for friends/family. It's a small house for four bedrooms though- only 1,300 square feet (a little over 120 square meters). Every space is well used except the cellar, which has no headroom to be very useful. It's valued at about $160,000 with the work I've done so far, but I haven't tackled the kitchen yet.

• I don't think a lot of them really care. My wife and I live in a medium-size house, and when our two kids lived here also, we were fine. In the next neighborhood from us, a bunch of McMansions were built, and I think only two or three people live in each of them. They need hired yard-service people to mow their lawns, because they're too big. The odd thing is, even though the square-footage for these houses is huge, the rooms are all chopped up, and you wonder what the architect was smoking when he laid out the design.

On top of that, the TV is saturated with Reality Shows that have Little People living in mansions, while big people are moving into super-tiny houses.

• North America is big and land is generally cheap so why not have a big house? It's a holdover from people living on farms and needing a big family to help run the farm... meanwhile in Europe, you have less space and that has necessitated smaller homes and smaller families.

Of course, go into the big cities and the houses are much more compact because the land is more expensive. You're getting a skewed perspective of small towns and suburbs.

• in American society. the house is a status symbol.

• Depends where.

In San Fran 200000 might let you get a basement in that photo.

• Depends on where you live. There are apartments in Manhattan that are 100 square feet. Sure there are luxury huge homes in the outskirts, but only people with a high income and a big family lives in them. I live in a 500 square square foot studio.

• I live in a very crampt and modest mobile home. Maybe you could buy me one of those nice and ridiculously over priced 3 bedroom ranch houses with a basement and an attic so that I could actually store my possessions properly and feel proud to entertain guests.

Just wait until you try to buy your first house! Than you'll find out just how pathetically small most housing really is in America...

• Do americans realise how cheap their houses are?

Fixed it for you. Central and the western United States is pretty much empty anyways, kind of like Australia. The American dream is to own a massive fucking house with a bagillion acres of land and 'fuck you' money.

• Never really thought about it. My aunt and uncle just built a 5 bedroom house and everyone gets a bathroom lol USA! USA! USA!

• United States has a much better housing market than most of Europe. More land, more house, and much lower property taxes in the vast majority of states. Then again, we are also taxed at a lower rate in general than most of Europe. Most European houses are very small, and their energy is ridiculously expensive so that they can not have air conditioning. Most Germans don't even use driers for their clothes. The U. S has a lot of advantages, we have more land, and our climate is friendlier to build with wood than say in England where wood buildings just don't last. Stick frame houses are much faster and much more affordable to build, they are also easier to insulate or renovate. Masonry structures, while longer lasting, are harder to insulate, more time consuming to build, and expensive. Most houses in Florida are built with CMU's and the exterior is usually stucco. It is also code, that they have to spec their roofs for hurricane force winds. Even still, Florida has some nice, spacious houses with open floor plans. Germans pay what, the equivalent of 37 cents per kwh? Here in Georgia, I pay 12 cents per kwh.

• Also, we don't have large houses, Europe just lives in small ass houses. You guys have been conditioned to live with it. You can also look at Nigeria, Ghana, Australia, and Canada. Their houses are comparable and some are even more affordable. Trust me, Ghana and Singapore are potential retirement areas.

static-house.jumia.com.gh/.../...41842-1-promo.jpg

• During the first quarter of 2010 the average house sold in the Netherlands for € 232,000. This is an increase of 0.4% in comparison to the last quarter of 2009. In the "Randstad" area (the area including and in between The Hague, Amsterdam, Utrecht and Rotterdam) housing is most expensive and Amsterdam is considered to be the most expensive city to live in. Due to the constant shortage of new housing, the market remains tight.

232,000 Euro converts into 276,000 U. S dollars. Factor in that the average sized house in the Netherlands is only 98 to 116 square meters. In the United States, the average house is 203 to 221 square meters, (not to mention with 1 to 2 acres of land), and the median value is around 157,000 U. S dollars. That's 131,650 Euros. U. S home prices would be about 648 Euros per square meter, Netherlands would be 2,367 Euros per square meter. Granted, I used my home state. It depends on where you live in the United States, New York City is insane.

• A good sized house in the U. S, will run you about 200,000 dollars. About 167,719 Euros. Western Europe has a terrible housing market. You guys have better healthcare, but our market is typically much better in all other areas.

• Thats what sells here. Just the way it is. People want big open floor plans, which usually easily accommodate 3+br.

I'd be a very happy man with smaller. I don't have the time for all that damn upkeep. Plus it's crazy expensive to heat/cool.

• That's another thing: you have AC! That's so fucking weird here!

• For that price for a 5bd 4bth, you're looking outside of high cost of living areas. Keep in mind the Netherlands is tiny in comparison to the U S. Quite a few of the states in the US are magnitudes larger... some of our cities are larger than the Netherlands. The US as a whole is over 237 times larger. More space = less expensive housing (at least if you are out of highly desireable areas and city centers). I don't think you could buy a cardboard box in Manhattan for 400k usd.

• you'd be suprised how many of those big houses are owned by foreigners, or are second and third homes.

• Only out in the 'burbs and rural areas. Most city houses are pretty small. In NY or San Francisco the house you show would be over a million dollars.

• In California, you must have a really good job to fucking afford that. Most individuals here can't afford a place on their own without a BA degree, a great job, and good credit. But that's not happening here.

• Their houses are really huge AND pretty cheap only in the suburbs or generally in places that are greatly underpopulated such as northern Canada etc. I mean if you can get a huge house for half the price, why wouldn't you? I would!

• The fat pig that likes to hoard his assets. Which is why usa is the place everyone seems to wanna run to. Even those muslims that severly hate the Americans all run to america lol
    Cause they all want a peice of the good life

• Everything is 2.5x larger in America, even the people.

• The reason is because Europe doesn't use efficient house building techniques, also we have much more land so we can get the land much cheaper. Also we have cheaper labor in construction. That's just one of many reasons.

• The Netherlands is a country with an extremely high density and very strict rules on where to build. It's nothing but logical since these houses are space efficient. Also, Europe does have some pretty efficient house building techniques, but that'll be in the newer neighborhoods

• @StickStickity13 It's very simple, the Netherlands and the USA have different needs and different resources, hence the difference in building material. Using another building material doesn't make it inherently inefficient, it becomes inefficient if the builder works inefficient with that material. If the material is utilised optimally with the least amount of waste and in a relatively short time, it is efficient whether it's brick or wood.

• @tartaarsaus what I'm saying is you can build a home faster and cheaper with wood. In terms of cost and time it's more effecient. Brick is more effecient in terms of sturdiness and heat insulation. What she is asking is why homes in the USA are cheaper. It's because we use more cost and time effecient building materials.

• Im from belgium tell me about it.

• More land=More space. Although where I live a house that size is like 300,000 USD

• Never thought about it much..

• Success breeds jealousy, USA no.1!

• if you judge from American movies, they display the upper middle class, not what the "average" person can afford.

• I don't think they see it that way. I think they see it as Europeans having small houses lol

• Wtf? Most of us don't live in big homes

• I think that is due to the way cities are arranged in America compared to Europe. in Europe everything seems so crowed together but in America everything is spread out

• And we love it!

• Middle class houses in the US don't usually have that many bedrooms and bathrooms. From my experience the average house might be 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, maybe 4 bedrooms and 3 bathroom for an upper middle class house

• Why would you give a fuck about how large their houses are?

• Because it amazes me.

• Why are you making a point out of this? I asked a q, if you wanna bitch about it fine but i ain't gonna respond.

• I'm just curious. It seems to bother you, more than make you curious, and I cannot understand why.

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 13

• My dad lives in the southwest in the USA and yup, he's trying to sell his house right now it's too big. I finally convinced him to sell it. It's. 5 bedroom house, 2 living rooms, 3 bathrooms and two story house, 2 car garage he only paid 140,000 for it though.

• Price depends hugely on where the location is. The U. S. is a big country and has all kinds of areas within it. Real estate prices vary enormously from place to place. City vs. suburb vs. rural, state to state, land types, etc. More desirable spots cost more, like with anywhere.

• As for size. I can't remember the last time I was in a house with 4-5 bathrooms lol. I don't think it's all that common.

• I agree with you, most new houses in the USA are way too big. We have a small condo that is more like what you described.

• From the 🇬🇧 when I watch shows like extreme makeover etc I also realise this guess it's because they have a lot of land mass whereas here the norm is a terraced/ semi detached house

• Nvr thought ab it much bc there's such an array of sizes like there's the one bedrooms and the two with 1 1/2 baths and it could still look pretty small depending on how its built but at the same time there could be town houses with stairs that are spacious

• Not every place does.

• The standard around where I live is more like 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms.

• personally I've only ever lived in one relatively big house. it had four bedrooms and three baths but it housed me, my two siblings, my parents, and my grand parents. my family has always struggled to rent any house big enough to house us, even after my grandparents were gone... I do live in California though and it's hard to pay for housing out here.

• You bathroom comment is funny. I think we like our stuff and need big houses for all our crap.

• Wow. With that much money I can buy a nice new cardboard box here.

• I just considered them small in foreign countries

• Big families. Why not buy it if you can afford it.

• Oh, we got big families too. But to house everyone so that they have a bedroom and a bathroom.. that'd cost 1 mil.

• It's much cheaper here. Especially where I live.

• Its okay Im American and Im jealous of our upper middle class too. My house is smaller than the one you showed