Do you think most compliments are honest or are they self serving.. or both?

Why do you feel this way?

• Honest
  • Self Serving
  • Both
    Vote C
  • No idea 😉
    Vote D
Select a gender to cast your vote:

621

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends really, most compliments are self serving even if people dont realise. When a couple compliment each other, its to mostly ensure they stay together, to avoid arguments or a fuss. This is the case with most compliments. At the core they're used to avoid needless fuss. Even ones that dont seem to have any reward such as complimenting a suicidal person or someone with depression is mostly to either to make themselves feel good or at least not guilty. Needless to say after all of this of course there are some that care but yeah id say mostly its self serving

Most Helpful Girl

• Most - probably both... but maybe more self-serving... i. e., they want something from you...
    But my compliments are always just honesty. Also my criticism is always honest too.

What Guys Said 20

• if I give a compliment it's for real... I think it's how you see or look at a person in general. I like to believe there is good in everyone so I will look for the positive compliment that is true about a person. it is true what they say... the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. if you can't see the beauty in someone then you must be a really shallow person that can't see past your own in perfections... but that's just my point! its the imperfection and perfections of a person that makes them so beautiful. I live by a quote... let no good deed goes unnoticed or appreciated. that means if you see someone do something selflessly then comment them for their actions. there too many people trying to do good in this word and they are not appreciated enough. Another quote to live by... a smile turns away wrath or war. sometimes a simple smile will make my day extra special all day.

• If they started the compliment volunterily, it is mostly honest. If it was in response to something (be a question, comparison), then people tend to please the person involved (either by complimenting or degrading him/her or other person)

• yeah, I get that. I personally feel that compliments are a bit of both. I personally am pretty honest about compliments, but after watching people over the years and how they interact, I will say I feel as though maybe they do believe the compliment, however, most compliments have more to do with what the person giving the compliment wants. I don't think people tend to notice this when they do it though.

• of course, I'm not saying this for all people and sometimes what the compliementor wants is something completely innocent and sweet.

• Yeah it coul be.

• I'm clueless. If I say something, what could be considered a compliment, I'm just being honest.
    But why would anyone compliment me, that I just don't get.

• i feel the same most days. like, why would anyone compliment me? there's nothing to compliment XD

• I think most are either honest, or just trying to be nice. Not necessarily self severing, just trying to be nice. I'd say self serving compliments make up maybe 20% of compliments.

• Most compliments are honest coz if that person is taking so much effort to type then I think it is or else why he ll type so much to give a compliment

• so there's no other reason behind a compliment? it's just because they wanted to be honest?

• Hehehe anytime

• have a nice day/night!

• My compliments are genuine and for real. I've lived with
    negative minded people , self consuming people that is why I'm
    a honest guy about all things and one is compliments.

• Depends on circumstance. If it's 11 PM on Friday night and the guy is telling a girl how beautiful she is, it's probably self-serving.

• Mine are honest and that's all I can comment on.

• Both

• I think people compliment others to make the other person feel good like "oh honey you're beautiful" when they're a 6/10 or something

• Yeah

• Depends on person

• I am honest with my compliments.

• Both

• If you manage to get a compliment out of me, it's real.
    I am not much for words of affirmation.

• Sum are ok others bad

• Depends who is giving.. but I in general give honest

• honest

• Depends on the guy

• it depends who it is coming from, some compliments are honest other are self serving.

What Girls Said 5

• i think its a bit of both

• I think they're *usually* honest but who knows for sure :/

• i think they're normally both. perhaps what the person is saying is true, but they probably also have an ulterior motive/reason

• Kinda sad to look at it that way XD

• it's most likely, I think, in most scenarios... but then again, I'm fairly cynical lol 😂

• well the compliments I get are the ones from my family or this annoying group of girls from my homeroom. I think my family is being more honest, while the girls are just doing it to be their friend (which I don't want to be theirs)

• I like to believe they are honest

• honest.. i no i say them to make people smile