What is the worst advice you have ever been given?

What is the worst advice you have ever been given?Just wondering.

Most Helpful Girl

• "Go to college anyways, it doesn't matter if you're undecided" It was from my parents and there was actually an "or else" added on, so it wasn't even a suggestion. When it played out exactly like I warned them it would, they decided to pretend I willingly dropped thousands on absolutely nothing (and publicly criticize me over it).

"Take responsibility for your actions and tell the truth" almost everyone
    (even family/witnesses) while I was being falsely accused of crimes I was incapable of committing at 13 years old. Then, when I started exposing people for lying under oath, everyone else rushed to make amends.
    I'm tired

Most Helpful Guy

• You should go off your antidepressants and adhd meds, mental illness is made up and you need god. I got that from a hardcore Baptist I know, at the time I still attended a baptist church even though I would have rather attended a Lutheran or catholic church.

• Pastors should and can be sued for this kind of crap and I recommend doing so not for money but to make a point.

You have to tapper off SSRI's. Put a healthy nondepressed person on a large dose of SSRI's for 6 months and cut them off they will fall into the pit of despair.

I'm sorry you had to go through that.

• @sjoes006 wasn't the pastor, pastor was a decent sort, just a random asshole

• Fuck them all to death. Lolz

What Girls Said 14

• Can't think of a single item as I usually don't take much to heart and if I'm seeking counsel I seek it from several sources then decide.

BUT in terms of frequency of bad advice that fall flat, usually at funerals where I'm the bereaved.

DON'T GIVE ADVICE AT FUNERALS.

Even if it is good advice it won't land and it's the last thing the person wants to hear. Don't try to cheer them up.

Somehow all of these acts feel like the giver is making it about them but more important that receiver isn't in the state of mind to do anything with it. You are forcing them to be polite when you are there to simply pay respect and say I'm here if you need me.

Why don't people get this? People who've lost someone usually get it but not all of them. If their loss if different then yours they get all wanting to help which isn't helping.

General rule is wait a week or two then check in if you actually want to help them through the course.

• I can't stand those catch phrases like, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Even in the depths of my dispair, I know this - but it's not *real* advice.

Other useless tips come from well-meaning religious people when they say, "God works in mysterious ways," or, "Just pray." First of all, I'm atheist so none of this applies, and even if I was religious doesn't help the situation I'm in if it needs immediate attention.

Fluffy go-to words of encouragement such as "just be yourself" or, "they're just jealous" doesn't help in situations when maybe being myself is being particularly shitty at that given time, or making sense of how someone *else* views a situation relates to what I'm doing.

• In general yes, but in many cases the phrase "this too shall pass" grounds me. When I feel weak or against a wall it kind of helps me remember how truly awesome I've been when forced to struggle to keep out of economic collapse. That I have fallen hard and gotten back up. Whatever it is, it's temporary. Other than death of course.

• It was a conversation I had with my grandpa on the night I told my family I was leaving the religion I was raised up in. He told me something along the lines of "Sometimes in life you have to do things for others" referring to me staying apart of the religion just to make my family happy. He wanted me to spend the rest of my life being apart of something that made me sad just so my family could be happy. In other situations I can understand how that would be a good piece of advice, this situation was not.

• My mom told me to work it out with my daughter's dad... biggest mistake ever. He's now just a thorn in my spine

• Why do you want to study so much? You're anyways gonna end up being a housewife. Learn to cook food and how to manage the household.

• There have been many...
    But never or rarely from my parents.

One of the worst ones was a guy saying to me once "You should stop wasting time on college and just marry a rich dude..."
    Yup. Super motivational.

• That's awesome about your parents. Best place to get advice if they have any to give. Love how people equate college with income.

Sure welders make 6 figures in the US if they are skilled enough and that's great. They studied hard to get where they are.

My college experience, ten years later now, has no price tag. I'm not talking about friends and fun times and growing up but my classes. My professors.

I can count just barely on both hands the professors who changed who I am and how I see the world. They were from all over the world and different disciplines and views.

Thisnoroblem we are having in the US about 'intellectual elite'. Bad title but a real thing. You have to speak to people in terms they understand. That's not calling anyone stupid that's just knowing your audience.

You care about and want the same thing but unfortunately Obama alienated most of these people as did Hills.

• @sjoes006 Haha yeah, it can be awkward... I do that too - presume people know what should be common knowledge.
      Yeah, college really is transformative. And hell no, college can't be equated with riches at the end of it. Especially not in a nepotistic country like mine.

• Some of the advice or questions I see here

• "guys are all the same, at least look for a rich one"
    "try to be friends with the girl who bullied you"
    "You don't need to take medication, mental illnesses aren't real"
    "just dont think the thoughts that make you scared, suck it up."
    "you're too pale you need to go tanning" (I was 11)
    "just dye your own hair at home it'll be fine"

• Hmmm, there's a lot

• Buy that Ford, fords are great cars.

• Mine has gone 5 years, no problems.

• central locking kept going on each of the doors meaning there were times where I've had to just leave unlocked.
      the fuel pump kept on failing too but it ended up being something to do with the break line.
      bitch cost us thousands, had a lancer MR coupe before that Best Car Ever

• Telling my sister to sleep with her boyfriend before getting engaged! Try before you buy, it would suck to be with someone who sucks in bed

• just be yourself

• Probably my dads advice to chose sciences.

• Not have been given an advice

What Guys Said 17

• Don't know if it's the worst, but it's the first that popped into my head.

Someone talked me into moving back in with my parents when I was 25. I really shouldn't have done that.

Not anything specific, but I learned a long time ago to not place too much weight on the advice of experts. Even experts are prone to mistake, and if you listen to them blindly it can be a big mistake.

• "Don't you worry about it- just wait. That special girl, The One, she's out there waiting for you! And when you find her, it'll be MAGIC..."
    Fifteen years later- "Oh, don't worry, just keep waiting, she's still out there waiting for you..."

• Lol, when I told people they were like yeah, you go girl! But then I lost my virginity to a handsome stranger and then they all said: yeah its good to have some experience, just fuck around till you find the one!

• My mom telling me I should consider studying medicine to become a doctor. She knew all too well that I'm daltonian (like her dad was. Most of the time I don't see a difference between red and green)
    Imagine a daltonian succeeding medicine studies and being a doctor!
    :D

• Thanks I learned a new word today! Daltonian for colour blind. I like the French word better because most people aren't completely coulor blind nor are dogs.

• Depends on your specialty but could work. Psychiatrists for instance. The word in French apppears to be spelled with an E.

Your word is more limiting and exact. In the US we just go whoops fucker can't see done with him. When in fact a lot of these guys only need help pairing socks together. You still see hints.

• @sjoes006 over here , you get your general 7 yr dr md degree first, then one can become a specialist like psychiatrist or obgyn.

• That I should cheat on my girlfriend and fuck a girl who was hitting on me, because according to this guy "your girl is probably going to cheat on you at some point anyways".

Lol, I mean... I guess he was just lookin out? But such bad advice lol

• Just be yourself.
    Just care about yourself.
    You must do whatever God commands you to do.
    It would be better for you to become a priest.

Just a handful I could remember right now. And yes those were said by my parents. Terrible role models both of them.

• If you go to college and get a degree you will get a good job from it. What a load of crap.

• "Drink this."

• Listening to advice in general.
    Lady Olenna said it best
    nerdist.com/.../Lady-Olenna-Dragon-08062017.gif

• I can't think of anything specific right now but I am sure it was along the lines of "Go for it - What harm can it do?"

• Probably being told what to feel, what to do and what to think.

It is not acceptable to push or punish a woman because she has had a rough time growing up.

• fuck ladies and dump them
    like that word still carries anger in my head

• "Canada is just like the US"

• everything. all advice given to me was bad.

• Trust in the lord and do good.

• That I should listen to my parents.

DOH!!!

• Be yourself

• "Just be yourself."