How well do you take a compliment?

Personally, compliments make me uncomfortable. I don't really trust them from most people.
If someone compliments me I feel like they're doing it to get something from me and it makes me more cautious around them.

2533

What Guys Said 33

• I take compliments very well. I enjoy them. It's flattering. Positive and energizing. It's also just simply part of a communication and socialization pathway. So i'm just comfortable with them.

Additionally, your uncomfortable feelings toward compliments are whether cultural or psychological. It's most likely possible that your issue with the whole behavioral function of compliment comes from bitter observations and experiences you have had in the past. So you learnt to become guarded. Because you view the world as anyone who speak nicely of you tries to take advantage of you. Be alerted. Because your mind doesn't want to allow those experiences happens to you or get repeated for you.

Good Luck.

• 7d

Yes, I know exactly why i am the way I am. I've always been a little uneasy but after a terrible period in my life I've become guarded and cautious.
      Good answer though, thanks. šŸ˜Š

• 7d

You're most welcome. :)

It's understandable. It takes time till you heal from your previous experience. Your previous experiences must be over-written by new experiences. But in order to overcome it, you must very slowly and cautiously give room to the new experiences to arrive. So you could look at the case from a different angle again.

I wish you all the best :)

• I really enjoy compliments. I try to assume the best of people, so while I know that people most certainly do compliment others JUST so they can get something out of it, I try not to assume that's what someone is doing. And I try not to give anyone a reason to think that about me should I ever give them a compliment.

• Yeah... same here.

Depending on circumstance, I use choose the more Western way of taking them well (thanking the one complimenting) or the more Eastern (denying it, returning it, redirecting it to others, attributing it to team effort, minimizing it, offering self-deprecating info to counter-balance). I feel more comfortable with minimizing or redirecting.

• If someone says "job well done, you've stood out amongst the team" ... sure I'll take it well because there is hard evidence if my good work which earns compliments.

If someone says "you are literally the best engineer on the planet since Brunel" ... yeah I'm not buying that.

• I appreciate compliments but I'm bad at responding to them. I feel like saying "thank you" is like saying "why yes, I am great, thank you for noticing." I know that's not how most people take it, but it just feels that way when I say it, so I don't know what to say.

• PrettyKitty31, I am like you. Compliments make me uncomfortable. But I would say that it also depends on how the compliment is given.

For example, If I am talking on line with a girl and she compliments me then I am more appreciative. But if it is an awards ceromony or in person I get shy and nervous.

Regardless, I like compliments, It is just how they are given.

• I think its cool. I never overthink those things so I take it at face value.

• Compliments make me suspicious.

• I don't usually get compliments. I feel like someone is just doing it to be kind or polite during a conversation.

• really depends on if I think I deserve it or not lol. Compliments about my looks... not so much. If I did something well and I know it, then I have no problem with taking a compliment

• 7d

I'm similar. Still have a hard time with both. Looks and personality are more difficult for me though.

• I feel a little discomfort but try to ease with it šŸ˜‚

• Yeah i don't like to make a girl uncomfortable with giving her compliments. So i know where your coming from.

• I listen to them, then my mind starts racing how they could fuck me over or set me up for a joke this time.

• I don't take compliments from people as a good thing generally. I nly feel them good by few people.
    As u said they may be trying to get something or may personally boost our over-confidence..

• Most comoliments i take as empty words.

• No problem since I don't give compliments. Women get too much attention especially from online.

• I say thank you and smile

• I take them with stride

• I love compliments they make my day

• It is a 50 50 split

• I hate to say it, but I'm jaded like you too. I'm pretty much the same as you.

• I hate when people compliment me >.> I always feel as if I've never earned it, no matter what I've done

• it took me a while to accept a compliment i would often disagree now i love them and sometimes i feel guilty saying thanks

• see if complet is a good one.. like if they really comment on something small u have on (; they pay attention and not just say the obvious

• I don't. I joke them off and change the subject. I don't need praise and it offends me when people think I do.

• I tend not to notice until afterwards when it's too late to reciprocate

• Compliments are compliments, there's a fair chance tho that someone may ask you out aftet complimenting you.

• They are nice, but I sometimes feel they distract me from working hard.

• Share the same thoughts as you. May be compliments from dear ones or family might mean something.

• Very well

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 25

• Easily, just say thank you and smile, then return some form of compliment.
    I can choose to read into it, or just accept it as kindness and deal with anything further if it comes up

• 7d

Why do you constantly have to prove how much more mature you are than the rest of us? Lol
      Good answer as always.

• 7d

I laughed at a toddler falling over today, maturity is cancelled out šŸ˜‚

• 7d

Haha well ok great. Thank you! I feel so much better about myself. To be fair though, I would have done the same thing. šŸ˜‰

• I agree, I am the same way. I also dont like when someone is overly nice to me. It sometimes can come across as being fake and phony. I dont have any female friends due to this very reason.

• 7d

Wanna be friends? Ill be mean to you and you can tell me I'm a bitch. I see this working out really well. Lol šŸ˜‚

• It depends. Sometimes I can tell whether a person is genuine or not. Generally I assume compliments are mere flattery. Cynical I know.

• I play it cool, but secretly feel awkward

• I don't take it well.

• I think they are lying but say thanks anyway LOL

• I do liek to receive compliments if they come from the heart and the person really meant it not out of an obligation.

A person I know told me this about compliments
    "If you want people to like you, you must be good at received and responding to compliments."

Is this true? What ya think?

• 7d

I suppose that could be a true statement. Otherwise you come off as snobby and ungrateful, I guess.
      But I think this also depends on the person giving the compliment. If it's a random person, which I will likely never see again I'm less incliinclined to trust what they say as I dont know their intentions. Could be just to be nice but for me I have hefty trust issues so it's hard for me to see that as a possibility.
      Now, if it's a friend, family member or an acquaintance that's another story and can see that statement being true.

• It makes me really uncomfortable. Especially if someone compliments me on something I'm insecure about... it makes me feel like they point out my flaws, even if it's meaned in a good way

• I like them! But at the same time i get flustered because I'm like, "well what do I say?" apart from thank you nāœŒšŸ˜œ

• I don't like them at all. I don't get them often, but when I do I kind of get mad. The reason is I feel like people lie to me because they feel sorry for me and are trying to make me feel better. When I'm given a compliment, I've actually asked a couple times if they're trolling or lying. I'd rather be given an insult than a compliment, at least that way I know they're being honest with me.

• not well

• 7d

You need more practice. Someone as capable as you will be getting lots in the future.

:D

• 7d

@0112358 lmao. clever.

• 7d

Clever without real capability is a speciality of mine madamoiselle. Thank you for noticing. ;)

• Well.

• Nervously, I become nervous, skeptical sometimes

• Good. And I like them. Especially if they are about my ability to do something. Makes me feel stronger.

• I'm horrible at excepting compliments. I feel just like you.

• Not very well.

• I blush!

• I don't really take compliments very well because if it comes from a girl I know they are just handing them out to be nice like so many girls do. They dont actually believe their comments are true. And my boy friends (friends that are boys) say compliments when I'm sad as an attempt to sympathize with me. I know they, also, don't mean it.

• I love receiving compliments.

• Very well

• I hate compliments, they make me feel bad... Like people are making fun of me or... I don't know šŸ¤·šŸ½

• Very well. I love compliments.

• I get weird when people compliment me too

• Same I don't trust people who compliment me

• I normally find them fake