For those that had an XBOX 360, did you ever have the dreaded 'Red Ring of Death'?

On the older big models if you got this it means your system no longer works.

1322

Most Helpful Girl

• It happened to my brother & I years ago... it was terrible.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh yes... Mine overheated a couple of times. The first time I just sent it in for a replacement, I was able to eject my game beforehand... no biggie.

The second time, it overheated and it was just completely dead. I had a game stuck inside, it wouldn't eject... Sucked lol. So I ended up taking the thing apart, voided the warranty... (there's a little sticker inside of the front panel that you couldn't break or your warranty would be voided) and got out the disk tray and opened that up... got the game. Reassembled it...

BUT the problem was (and I'll bet this was the common problem for all 360's)... the heat sink on the inner part of the cooling system, it was COATED in thick sheet of dust. Literally trapping heat.

So I cleaned that all out, dusted off the insides and again, reassembled the rest of the console... The Xbox ran smoothly for a year of additional use until the XOne came out.

I'm telling you, those little holes on the sides of the 360, dust got sucked in there and attached to the heat sink... had to have been the leading cause of the Red Ring issue. Almost positive...

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE