Why do people say 'Dude' before telling that person off?

You ever notice that?

like 'Dude, why are you being such a dick' or 'Dude, stop doing that'

Why dudes?

1918

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 18

• I do it for the sake of being level-headed with that person. To let them know that I'm not here to belittle them, but to tell them on a level they can understand. Nobody wants to feel undermined. Just like fathers often say 'son' more than mothers. But if mother's say it, and not your name, you know something isn't right. It's mostly done with a sense of familiarity. At least that is my perspective on it.

• That's it's a good question. I do it because that's what I'm used to hearing others do. I know how it's meant, to let them know you're telling them because they need to hear and not because you're trying to be mean. But why "dude" specifically, that's a mystery to me.

• It makes it a little less serious, softens the blow, while still allowing you to get the message across

• Think it's used to not sound like you're insulting them. Like sugar coating it first ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

• Ha ha ha I'm not sure. Maybe because you're so peeved that they don't deserve to be called their name and the use of dude is a derogatory term.

• Because they feel that person doesn't deserve to be called their name OR they don't know their name.

• I only did on 2 posts but like

-- "Dude" she's under 18 PERV!
    calling them out

• lol I don't know. But I do that

• I dunno who says that petty shit with "dude". If you're going to diss someone go all the way: "Dude, fucking stop, seriously." I think it's meant to soften the blow in a friendly manner, but NO FAM.

• Dude, why not?

• Dude good point! Lol

• As some kind of reprimand? I don't know, even though I do it, too.

• That way it doesnโ€™t sound like youโ€™re searching for a fight

• I don't know I just grew up saying that

• Sorta to ease the blow like it doesn't sound as severe.

• attiTude rhymes with Dude lol.

• Dude...

• Lol I say Yo before ๐Ÿ˜‚ but I also use it to greet someone.

What Guys Said 18

• Bruh, were you stoned when you noticed this?

• It's like an alternative to their name. Used to catch their attention.

• As a dude myself, I take great offense of the misuse of this sacred word.

• It's an attention check, you say dude and you pause to make sure you have their attention

• I suppose it is just ingrained in our culture I guess.

• I would never defame the name of the Dude like that... the dude abides...

Instead I do this...
    https://youtu.be/dROwEc4VyJA

• I think it just became one of those expression that just slips out of your mouth.

• It would be funny if they actually are calling them the dictionary term for a rhino penis. Some people are used to calling their friends dude, for others, it is just moniker for someone they don't know.

• Dude why are you so picky? You could be more chill in life. Instead you must argue on everything. So calm down man, and have a beer. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Mate, who says dude?

• Must be an American thing, Lad.

• It's proper American English

• They don't respect them enough to use their name.

• They do? I just normally rip into someone. I don't think I ever say ' dude" .

• I say dude a lot before many other things

• I will say dude, bruh or bro

• Dude... I don't know dude. But totally a dude-rightous question dude.๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿ„