Do you believe people are inherently good?

1835

Most Helpful Guy

• No. There is too much ugliness in the world for me to believe there's inherent goodness in humanity. Self-interest is the hallmark of mankind. When there are huge humanitarian acts, I suspect it's not primarily motivated by doing "the right thing" but rather satisfying one's ego by doing it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Incentives alone resonate the truth about the self-interest people manifest. People are inherently inclined to do things that yield to personal gain, with regard to ethics or with disregard thereof.

People present themselves to be good when it benefits them. Presenting themselves to conform is inherent to people, which is customarily interpreted as a good thing primarily because it entails lesser risks than behaving in a deviant fashion that might lead to people ousting you from society.