Do people judge someone based on 'looks' before they get to know them?

Do you base people based on looks?

Or their personality?

And what you think is like as a person based on looks?

Share your opinions.

• Yes.
  • No.
  • Other (explain if you can).
    Vote C

2412

Most Helpful Girl

• As much as I hate saying this, we all have a tenancy to give some previous opinion based on the looks. Then when we get to know them we can be right or wrong. But I definitely say there's some slight judgment going on. "first impressions" thing came for a reason xD

Don't get me wrong tho. There's some levels of judgement also. It doesn't always have to be mean. You can see someone sitting alone all the time and assume she's not so fun. Then u get to know her and reality would surprise you. So yeah 🤷🏻
    Don't let that judgment stop you from knowing the person on a deeper level.

Most Helpful Guy

• yes they do. it´s a primal instinct. not even the best socialization can´t get that out of us. we all do it and whoever claims he doesn´t lives in denial.

What Girls Said 23

• Most people do. But that's just because by looking at a person that's the only thing you can judge. You can't look at someone and know their personality

• Whoever doesn't base on looks is not being truthful. It is natural to assume personality based on looks, as well. If you see a pretty girl, or a buff guy, you would think of a defining personality, doesn't have to be rude, such as "Oh, I bet she's very social since she sports" ; "I bet he's very outgoing with friends, and is perhaps competitive". Looks influence a lot.

• Definitely. I try to refrain from making harsh judgments based on appearance until I get to know the person, but I do get a general idea of who i think they might be based on their looks.

• What would you think of me if you saw me?

My profile picture is me by the way.

Just curious lol.

• Honestly I'd be intimidated. I can't intellectually keep up with a person who can read a book on the history of cancer. He'd seem much more intelligent than me, and I'd think that my conversation would bore him. However if he were to approach me, I'd gladly try to make a friendship.

• Fat me: didn't even get much as a glance
    Skinney me: had guys asking for my number without trying.

I believe if you make an effort and invest in your looks as well as learn interesting things. It will be easy to find someone. Lol

• Looks are important. I am pretty sure if you wouldn't want sleep or spend time with your girlfriend if she looked like a gorllia. Even if she was cool, the man downstairs would be bored. You end up force yourself to find that ugly girl or guy attractive. Life sure is easy when your pretty.

• everyone does, if you say no you're lying.. or you do it subconsciously.

• I mean unless you're blind that's the only thing you have to go on.
    And if you're blind i guess you go off the sound of their voice.

• How can you not? Well, if you're blind... The point is sight of someone will give you some kind of impression.

• my first priority is how you looks then personality

• Looks it's the first thing you see on a person. Do you think that a person can go on a job interview looking like homeless person, the interviewer won't wonder " What is their personality like?" No they would be turned off.
    So yes we judge off looks.

• I got called a slut at this summer camp a year ago despite never even kissing a guy, for sure, lmao.

• Yes it happens, a lot!

• If you saw me, what would you veiw/ base me on as a person based on my looks?

• I don't judge, it's usually wrong anyway

• The truth is we're first visually attracted and only from then do we usually get to know people

• To some degree, everyone does. Your first impressions are everything.

I like to treat everyone equally and professionally, if possible. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt to be present themselves as humble people.

• Sometimes it just depends. I try to be friendly with everybody but how they respond to my courtesy is how I judge most people.

• A bit. I don't want to deal with people who are happy being a sloppy mess. The once I dealt with were overly judgmental and moralistic.

• You can't see personality from afar and within seconds.

• Of course I judge people based on looks.

• truth is yes.

• what is with everyone saying yes lol

• Everybody does that.

• Of course

• Yes, because looks its what you see first

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 11

• Yes, I do judge people based on their appearance and it's part of the human nature. Looks can sometimes tell which interests a person have for instance and I can't help it that I don't find everyone attractive.

If someone are wearing a band t-shirt, emo style or something like that it may say something about their interests. But if a person wears a hijab or a cross necklace, then it indicates they're religious. Although first impressions aren't always right, it can be it sometimes. Some judgement are negatives while others aren't.

I do also think a person I sees on the street is drop dead gorgeous and another person are the complete opposite. It's just a habit I've. It's hard to not do so.

• At least 90% of people with sight judge based on looks first even though it may just be for a second. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it keeps many people alive. Though it's not good to dwell on looks.

For the rest of my comment, I'll just copy/paste what I just said for another question:

There's one girl in town that has a awesome body and is beautifully nice person, but I can't get myself to ask her out because I have to be honest inside that I am just not liking her nose/mouth. 😐

I know that sounds (& is) shallow but even then I wouldn't ever recommend her change her looks, because it's not bad it's just not attractive to people like me. 😕

• Looks is the first thing people notice when they meet someone (unless it's an audio or text meeting). It's easy to create a bunch of assumptions and judges based on their look.

• Everyone does. Whether we let that initial judgment define that person as an entirety is dependent upon our discretion though.

• People make constant judgements about people and things based on appearance. It's a statement about how you take care of yourself, and to what degree you feel that you are worth taking the time to put yourself together.

• They doit all the time: it's so easy.

• I think everybody has a first impression of somebody they see for the first time. after a first impression I'm always open to see what the person is really like.

• Yes.

• Yep. There had been a gorgeous girl at college who turned out to be a playmate.

• its human nature

• Usually that’s all you have to go on since it’s not often you know them beforehand unless you work with them or have been friends for awhile but most people base it on looks first then personality