Atheists of GaG, what are views on meditation?

Do you practice it? Would you consider practicing it?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't practice it. I've once tried Tai Chi but it hasn't really given me anything. I've also tried Yoga and it hasn't given me anything either. Supposedly they should make you feel calmer and peaceful inside but to me it just felt like a waste of time. But in principle, I have nothing against it. I don't really view mediation in a religious light and if it helps you to start better into your day, there's no reason not to do it.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• I used to do it when I took karate. When I stopped I kinda fell out of the habit of doing it.

1|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Did it feel any different when you stopped meditating, than when you were meditating?

• I honestly can’t remember, it’s been a long time since then. Sometimes I think about starting it up again when I feel stressed. I also thought about using the practice to improve my posture.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 26

• Well I do breathing exercises and mobility exercises and I think they have some similarities to meditation.

1|0
    0|0
  • Mindfulness and meditation has scientifically proven benefits. There need not be any superstitious or dogmatic components of it. Plenty of atheists practice "yoga" for its health benefits despite not following Hinduism.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure since its actually something that works for a lot of people. Ever felt stressed about deadlines, life, work basically everything at the same time? So why wouldn't sitting down and clearing your mind completely be efficient for someone like that?

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think of it as anything religious but more akin to a psychological exercise.

1|5
    0|0
  • So you may not believe in God because the books tell stories that you don't like. Then abandon all the communal activities associated with regular attendance. And then go out and try things like yoga classes or meditation which is akin to church attendance and praying. Is there a void here?

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes. We have a void that despirately needs to be filled with hogwash and Fairy tales. LOL 😂

• Show All
    • @SketchForger Atheism offers nothing to as a substitute for falling into hypocrisy.

• @SketchForger "To be fair I have read the Bible and it is very interesting literature. But I would never be interested enough to follow it as a belief. It is literature and nothing more, and I will respect it as such." That is fair. But I find it intellectually dishonest to neglect the context in which it was written. When you have guys mandating that guys circumcise themselves to reduce rates of infection for lack of hygeine in a time when "hygeine" or "infection" was crudely understood if it all, it seems obedience to a God is what worked. So today's comedic absurdity of religion kind of wears off when considering that reality for those people, bordering disrespectful. And had we been in their shoes, likely hypocritical..

• I practice it for the benefits of relaxation, de-stressing, improved focus and the clear/sharpness it gives you when you finally finish.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've done it before, just sitting there blocking everything out. At the very least its a decent mental practice.

1|2
    0|0
  • My opinion on it is that it's stupid and a waste of time. But that has nothing to do with my religious views.

1|0
    0|0
  • Possibly try it, to control my anger, stress, and depression if it helps with it.

1|0
    0|0
  • yes meditation opens a third eye and hightens tour perception ifeel if there some thing else out tgere it can communicate with you through medatqtion

1|0
    0|0
  • It's good for clearing the stimulus clouding your judgement. Also relieves muscle tension and helps strengthen your joints.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have done simple meditation occasionally to clear my head when I get upset. I don't buy any spiritual significance to it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not exactly familiar with it other than a vague knowledge it's about relaxing your mind. Well that sounds good.

1|0
    0|0
  • Atheist. Meditation is great for the Human brain. Years of religious practice and more recently studies have shown this to be true

0|0
    0|0
  • i am atheist,

yes i meditate
    while i meditate i don't think of following the dot.. finding a light, or think of god or chant holy words..

i ponder things about my life. the journey of life.. where i began,
    where i am, where I should be! , where i need to go! what will be best course of action to my current challenges,
    i will have to make sacrifices,
    will my sacrifice be worth it! how can i ensure my sacrifice is worth..

basically my meditation is a Board of Directors each of them with their own point of view.. and i am all the director. and i am somehow able to make a decision which is unbiased..

1|0
    0|0
  • there's nothing g religious about meditation. It's just a relaxation exercise.

1|0
    0|0
  • It can be a completely secular practice that is quite effective.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's shown positive results, I won't be doing it cuz I like free time

1|0
    0|0
  • can i answer this?

i am not atheist but spiritualist

but i do have technical answer for this

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't but I would consider it. I think I might need something like that lol

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 11

• Well meditation has nothing to do with religion for most people. You can certainly practice mediaton whether you're religious or not.
    It is more like a brain exercise than a prayer so anyone can do it. I'm an atheist and I'm not opposed to it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am not sure if it is actual meditation but I often sit quietly and clear my head out. I find it can be a very relaxing experience and it helps me remain calm and organised. I am not sure why that should be limited to atheists.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not actually atheist, but I do think some atheists would do it. some people do it for the spiritual side, others for calming mind and body. its even been scientifically proven to help!

1|1
    0|0
    • I forgot to mention that some people do it for both reasons. I'm one of those people :) meditation is a good thing to do before bed to help you sleep.

• Yup, to become calm.

• I've tried it as a way to manage my anxiety but generally just find I'm more tense after than when I started :P I had no issues with attempting it though, it seemed like it could be useful.

1|1
    0|0
  • Im not a atheist but I know a couple that practice it they use it as self reflection rather than something spiritual

1|0
    0|0
  • I do practice it because it helps me with my anxiety.

1|1
    0|0
  • I've never tried it. I don't think it would do much for me.

1|0
    0|0
  • I meditate on my SCHOOL

1|0
    0|0
  • Meditation is key to a calm mind. Love it!

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't do it, but I think it's really cool :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Meditation is for relaxation.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes