How manipulative would you consider yourself?

Obviously being manipulative is considered a bad trait but do you consider yourself a manipulative person? Why or why not?
How manipulative would you consider yourself?

2|2

Most Helpful Guy

• Hands up will admit I was once, anyone without bundles of confidence and intelligence can be manipulated really easily for your own gain. You target their biggest insecurity and paint yourself in a way to appear like you are the perfect solution. Even easier if you are good at most things and can learn something very quickly to a relatively good level.

Nobody ever got to the top without manipulating people, even someone like Bill Gates who gives all his money away to charity now, manipulated people ruthlessly to succeed at the start.

But, with age comes wisdom and knowing when to do it and when you need to check yourself and genuinely help someone with their weaknesses.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• The word "manipulative" is loaded with negative connotations, but fact of the matter is, we're all manipulative. Almost every interaction that you have with another human being is subject to some form of manipulation, from both their end and yours.

It's how we've been socialized. From a young age, you've been taught to smile and be kind to others, even when you're not feeling smiley or kind. Why? Because treating others nicely improves their attitude towards you and increases your chances of getting what you want from them (which can be as simple as being treated nicely in return). In your school-age years, you learned that if you wanted your parents to agree to let you go out or have that sleepover, it was a better idea to wait until they were in a good mood to ask them (or, if you didn't have time to wait, to try to better their mood by doing your chores, saying "I love you", being nice to your sibling for once, etc.). As you got older, you learned that if you want that job in sales, you need to be amicable and convincing and bite your tongue when customers get on your nerves.
    That's all manipulation. If you don't have some skill in being manipulative, you likely don't have good social skills either.

To that end, I am somewhat manipulative. I don't go to any great lengths, like trying to change people's beliefs and ideologies to ones that would suit me better. I don't try to "brainwash" people into being my mind slaves. I use manipulation simply as tool to get through my day-to-day life. If I wasn't manipulative, I'd be moaning to everyone about how much I'd rather not be at work, but at home. I'd probably wear a sign that says "please, don't talk to me. It makes me uncomfortable." And, I probably would have gone nowhere in my field, because a large part of my success is determined by knowing when to speak, what to say, and when to listen in order to elicit an honest response from the person that I am evaluating.

4|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 38

• Playing board games very manipulative, but in life not so much.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm manipulative to everyone, I don't care if it hurts them just so I can benefit from it.

I'm only manipulative so I can get information to ruin people's lives which is highly fun. The upside of being cold-hearted is that you get to enjoy ruining potential futures to the ground.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am highly capable of manipulation but I try not to be manipulative. If I can use manipulation to make people understand an argument or see something from my perspective I often will but generally speaking I don't like being manipulated and for that reason will avoid manipulating others.

1|0
    0|0
  • Manipulation isn't bad. Your parents manipulated you into being a decent person.
    We all wanted to do things, that our parents scared us out of, like drugs, alcohol, or teletubbies.
    It's called raising or molding, but it's a type of manipulation.

Also, yes. I do it to get ahead and hopefully help others.

1|1
    0|0
    • Yeah that's what a lot of people don't seem to get nowadays. Being able to get what you want doesn't need to equate to being completely selfish.

• I'm charming and inspirational. Not manipulative. I'm honest and upfront, if someone does something because they want to, yes I'm responsible. But they would never feel ashamed to own up to what they did.

1|0
    0|0
  • I can be very manipulative, but I use this skill only when I noticed that someone is trying to manipulate me. In this case I manipulate back with greater efficiency, so the manipulator became the victim instead. :)

1|0
    0|0
  • I think I am a little manipulative, but some girls like that. I'm very territorial in some ways. I'm a lot about respecting a relationship. I mean, I would tell a girl to stop messaging other guys because it's not respectful to me because those guys might sometimes think she's leading them on. But I think it all comes down to trust.

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't consider myself as being able to put someone under my thumb, but I think im very charming and I can get people to do things I want

1|0
    0|0
  • I can definitely be manipulative at times. But I always make sure that I put actual honest logic behind it, and be direct when executing it.

So I guess it's not "manipulation" as much as it is "psychological warfare."

1|0
    0|0
  • I am highly manipulative. Even in games I make people trust me with my arguments when I am the guilty guy and make them kill eachother. No one I saw doing this. They all just randomly shooting people :D

1|0
    0|0
  • On a scale of 0 to 10, with 0 being not manipulative at all, and 10 being "I'm the most manipulative motherfucker you'll ever meet," I'm going to go with a solid -2.77, because I'm not the manipulator, but rather the manipulated. Sad, but true.

1|0
    0|0
  • I never can take advantage of ones sweetness and I'm grateful by all means for every little thing that i get in life. So i would say I'm not
    manipulative.

1|0
    0|0
  • I can't even manipulate myself to get out of bed what makes you think I can manipulate anyone

4|0
    0|0
  • I've manipulated my way through the workplace a few times

1|0
    0|0
  • Im not manipulative but i also dont let people manipulate me

1|0
    0|0
  • I know all the tricks, but I only use them for good.

1|0
    0|0
  • I was fairly good at chess , whist, not bad at poker.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think I'm manipulative... well at least I'm unaware of it. Lol

1|0
    0|0
  • I am not. No way, jose! I am just the shadow from all people. A peace-maker guy, P. P.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 19

• I'm not manipulative.
    But one of my friend was and it really bothered me. But he always got what he wanted at the end of the day and most people didn't even realise. It's a handy skill.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not at all

1|0
    0|0
  • I never thought I was until now. With my boyfriend, I can be whiny and manipulative in order to get him to go out and get me fast food.

I have become really bad (good) at this and I do not think it is a good thing. lol!

1|0
    0|0
  • I can be highly manipulative only when I WANT to be, but usually I don’t like manipulating anyone lol, I also don’t like letting anyone manipulate me

1|0
    0|0
  • I've manipulated to get what I want a lot. Using people's emotions is just too easy for me... but I feel bad about it so I try to not do it anymore and tell the truth.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm so good at it that it scares me. I try not to do that, I don't like being mean.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think I'm very manipulative at all. If I am I'm at least not aware of it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am very manipulative
    Very proud.
    I get what I want and know how to get t

1|0
    0|0
  • I feel the higher your intelligence the more manipulative you are.
    But yes, I feel I am as I can twist anything my way if I wish to

1|0
    0|0
  • Well if I am being honest here I am really manipulative.. like too much.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not really

1|0
    0|0
  • I could be, but I’m not.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not very. I'm not a great strategist

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not smart enough to be manipulative tbh

1|0
    0|0
  • No lol

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not manipulative at all.

1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe a very small, tiny bit.
    But no, I actually dislike it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I can definitely manipulate but i justify it as a way of survival. Examples would be getting ahead at work or making people behave "the right way" using guilt. Planting subconcious messages in my partners head so they believe they came up with the idea that i love so much. Its not a bad thing. I dont use it to be mean.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think I am.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes