What is your general opinion on the homeless? and do you personally know anyone who is homeless?

I live in L. A. and this is called Skid row a portion of Downtown L. A. that is the 'home' to almost 18,000 homeless people and that number keeps growing. It's a huge problem in big cities, but what is your general view of the homeless? do you personally know anyone who is homeless?

1021

Most Helpful Girl

• My general view is that there are situational homeless and homelessness as a lifestyle.

I believe that many situational homeless people may turn into homelessness as a lifestyle and not many homelessness as a lifestyle turn into situational homelessness.

And I do not believe that building temporary housing solves the problem and I do not believe that removing the "shame" of homelessness helps matters. I think both of these things actually makes matters worse.

Homelessness sucks. And sometimes, some people just need a helping hand. And sometimes, no matter what hand people are dealt, they will end up homeless.

Government programs are not the answer. I am not sure what is the answer but I know government programs will get us further away from solving the problem. At least, that is one thing I am pretty sure about though I have no clue about anything else...

Most Helpful Guy

• First of all don't disrespect cuz u got the internet to hide behind. Those stories were something called EXAMPLES. U don't see me saying go run to ur nearest homeless. I was just saying a little compassion goes a long way. i live a cross the street from a homeless shelter. Yea, there are people that choose that. They would rather be homeless instead of getting screwed over by the government. Or people go on the run from the cops and go become homeless so they don't get caught. FORGET ABOUT ALL THAT. U think the people that have to steal is cuz they love stealing? They steal because they are hungry. They want to eat. I understand that. But I in no way agree with it. Every 1 of them is there for a apparent reason. U can tell which ones are hurting and which ones are the fakes. When I moved here I became friends with 1 from across the street. Only to watch him die in front of me. I tried to help him. And he was really trying. Sincerely trying. If u had the opportunity to help some1 and ppossibly change their life, u wouldn't want to do it?

What Girls Said 9

• There are varying reasons for homelesness. Believe it or not some people really do choose to live that way. I've spent some time volunteering at a homeless shelter and I can tell you, homeless folks are legit. They can be such warm hearted kind individuals. They all have light hearts. It is so sad. I wish people wouldn't see them as garbage. Yes people have to help themselves but some people never stood a chance.

• We have a huge homeless population here; the majority of them are veterans that really do prefer living off the land and having no physical address to tie them down. Most of the rest of them were just hit by hard times and couldn't keep up. Most of them are quick to lend a hand in times of need and only ask for a hot meal inn return.

Now I'll say this: we also have a fair share of successful cons that play dress up and stand on the street corner with signs, make a couple hundred bucks a day, and go home to their 4 bedroom houses. Those that are truly homeless live in camps approved by the city in land specially set aside.

• I hate when people assume that homeless people are lazy, mentally ill, etc.
    Most of the time, homeless people have fallen on hard times and are finding it hard to recover. I feel bad for anyone who is homeless. Hell, I’m slightly at risk for being homeless in my opinion.

• I try to get to know the homeless in my area, as long as I feel safe talking to them. But their mental state is such that they don't remember me, so I wouldn't claim to really know them but I'll buy them for or whatever, ask if they need anything.

I'd like to do more for them.

• I don’t know any homeless. I feel bad for them but I don’t wanna be near most of them.

• U don't want to be around most of em huh? Do u think they said that about you whilebullets were flying by them? (Service Vets) they fought for all of us that we can live free and get along. And we can't even get along with each other. Another solution, there's a couple living together. Both can't live without the other. They split the bills. 1 of then passes... The other can no longer afford her house or bills... Some time goes by and the state is selling her stuff in an auction to pay off all her delinquent accounts. She loses all her stuff. Her house. Her car. She has no one. She's forced to live on the streets. Were never gunna know their side of the story of we don't ask. But of u do, be careful. 8 people out of ten s story will break ur heart.

• But Hidden_P u have urself a wonderful night

• No I'm not saying u have to go be next too em at all. U live ur life ur way. I'm in no way saying our telling u how to live. I'm just saying they all have sad stories. It's heart felt when I here them. And u know, the meanest dirtiest homeless person can have the warmest heart. Don't judge a book by its cover. But do fallow ur gut. Cuz ur guts never wrong

• I don't know any homeless people.
    I think homeless people are a diverse group, you have good people and bad people, people who have fallen on bad times in a broken system and people who have essentially thrown everything away. Addiction is a huge issue.

• I want to help them as much as possible

• Where the heck is their family and what happened? that's what pops in my head. its scary.

• It makes me sad when I walk down the street and see people sleeping outside. I feel like everyone should have a home, even if it's not a fancy one.

What Guys Said 20

• I think they're a mixed bag. I don't hate them, I certainly don't love them just because they're homeless. They're people, and just like everyone else they're given to ridiculous levels of laziness.

People won't work as long as they can eat and take a shower, and once someone's become content with begging for the rest of their life even telling them they could have their own bedroom isn't going to wake them up.

We have shelters. You'd be surprised how many of them aren't even close to full capacity. That says a lot, considering how many homeless people there are. California is especially bad.

• That’s the 2nd skid row I’ve seen today 😂

Anywell, it sucks for them. I definitely feel bad, but I don’t generally help homeless people. Not because “fuck them”, but because, where I grew up, we didn’t have homeless people. And me moving to a city, I feel like if I do give homeless people money, I generally feel like I got suckered into giving money away.

And I say that because the last time I gave a homeless dude money, I got suckered into it. The only reason I gave him $10 was because I just parked and he saw me get out of the car, so I didn’t want him jack my car. And I only feared that, cause the previous time, I was right outside penn station and a homeless dude straight up try to attack me to jack my soda bottle. Luckily, there was some chick next to me and I used her as a meat shield. It was basically the walking dead. That chick had to have gotten rabies 😂😂😂

• I don't know any homeless people and don't feel especially bad for them. Part of that is that I'm not an empathetic person at all. Part is because there are a lot of facilities in any half-size town where the homeless can stay and ear for virtually nothing. There usually is no need to stay on the streets. We also have a welfare state so homeless people can get paid - if they want to - for not having a job, so they still could have a house. Extremely high debt could also be fixed with debt repayment, which basically means they have to live for a couple years for almost nothing to have their debts vanish in air.

If somebody is homeless and they refuse to go to a shelter, refuse to get money from the government and refuse to get their debts vanished, then they are just idiots.

• Being homeless is not easy I can attest to this ( I had at a point been homeless ). the experience is very painful and when you see other people looking at you and analyzing your situation it makes you feel very bad.

Unfortunately in this country's current social and economic state it isn't easy to help end homelessness issue that plagues each state. I am in NYC and due to cops constantly going after homeless people, there are no areas where homeless people actually congregate or migrate too. The homeless in NYC have to for the most part... Just keep moving.

• Most of them are drug addicts. I don't feel bad for them at all, and I was homeless really by choice at one time, but I was never an addict. They panhandle and hustle people for quick easy money, then they turn around and get drunk or high. They prey on naive bleeding hearts who mean too well to question their motives, or why they don't actually admit themselves into a shelter or a program. In my area, the salvation army offers a program where they can get not only a GED, but also a forklift operators license for free. They simply choose not to do shit with themselves, and are too far gone to ever become productive members of society. Addicts have to want to quit, if they don't want it, then there is no sense in feeling bad for them.

• In a way, I feel bad for them. Maybe they just had a bad deal in life, and are struggling trying to figure their way out. On the hand, I think quite a few of them are lazy dumbshits or druggies, and could have worked their way out of their situation years ago, and simply chose not to.

• I'm north of you and have a large number. I know about 10 - 15 people who are homeless. For some it's a choice, they're lazy. Others are fuck ups and druggies.

• I know one person that lost his job, whom lives in a shelter and my mom also did the same. Both of them were stupid and quit their jobs without a back up plan

• Technically I know one person that is homeless but she's not the living on the street kind of homeless. My neighbors sister doesn't have a place of her own she just kinda bounces around from friend to friend's and boyfriend to boyfriend's place. She's pretty irresponsible she has I think 4 kids now all of which have different father's, her mother has custody of all her kids because she isn't responsible enough to care for the. I guess that doesn't count as knowing a true homeless person.

• It's crazy that the problem is that bad. I did not know this. I have known homeless people and see a few from time to time. But I'm an Aussie and we have a welfare system that pays you about $450 a fortnight till you get back to work. So homelessness is not a huge problem in my country.

• In general I don't worry much about the homeless because if I worry about every homeless person I come across I'll be wasting much of my time though I did get to know a few of them and did what I can but I'm not making a change anyway.

• It's heartbreaking. I hate it it's a fact not everyone have a home.

• I dont know anyone who is homeless... its there are people who make the wrong choices in Life to chose to be homeless or not

• A good amount of them are only homeless because of drug/alcohol addiction etc. Some of them got screw though.

• i feel bad for them. i wish i could give them a job or rehab or whatever they need. i was downtown one time (chicago) and a homeless guy came into the mall and we bought him lunch

• Yeah every week I go visit a homeless shelter. All the kids there know me since I've been going for months

• If we don't help them, we'll become them.

• That sounded patronizing but I mean that we who have the luxury to be of poor, middle, and rich classes inch closer and closer towards homelessness as the most heavily used economic resources of the planet get depleted. Aside from the economic and technical consequences however, our spirituality as human beings loses meaning the more injustice there is, and I use the word 'injustice', not 'homelessness', because not everyone who's homeless was necessarily driven into it by society - some people make obviously bad choices.

• When I lived in London almost a decade ago, I used to see a homeless man walking up and down the same spot for years even on the coldest days of the year, which did traumatize me because there is no homelessness where I was born and raised (Qatar) - there were poor people but not homeless - so, it stunned me seeing him walking outside in the freezing cold with frostbite in his beard. I invited him to dinner and breakfast many times then and afterwards, always gave him his cigarettes, but he wouldn't speak about his past.

• I was a college student back then and didn't understand the importance of finishing what I started on principal, whether it be an act of kindness or otherwise, and I wish I had done something to deliver him to a better state before I left the country.

One soul is everything. Every single one counts. Looking at it in terms of faceless numbers is meaningful to an extent, but I think reigniting that spirit of kindness and love that's in all of us puts the horse in front.

• I've known a few. I consider most of them friends. I meet them when they need food, of course; I offer to order them something and eat with them, if I have the time. I enjoy talking with them. I've had some real heart to hearts with them.

• Not my problem. What? Just being real.

• They should all be given £10 million