How to stop being afraid of the dark?

To be honest I thought it was normal for a grown adult to be afraid of the dark. I found out it's not. I need help please I'm deathly afraid of it. I tried the exposure method and I freaked out. Just the thought of being alone, and anything like a ghost or some demon can just pop up n whisper in your ear or flash their face scares me! Basically all the stuff you see in movies are what goes through my mind. I know it's "not real" but my mind just goes wild. Anyone else afraid of the dark? How can I overcome it?

230

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I'm kind of scared of the dark. I don't watch any horror movies, but I'm easily scared by pretty much anything you throw at me. I have a night light at the corner of the bedroom, that illuminates a small area. It kinda works. I know how you feel, with all those thoughts in your mind. I have a lot of trouble sleeping most of the time. The main reason why I don't watch horror movies is because it scares the hell out of me. But that's also because my mother died 5 years ago, and I don't want to watch zombie movies. The thought of knowing a zombie who's actually a family member, or even closer pretty much frightens me. But the fear might go away by time. It makes it less painful, I think, once you get wiser or more comfortable. It's not always like that, but comfort plays a big part of the fear.

• Sorry to hear that about your mother ๐Ÿ’”
      Interesting you say comfort plays a big part, I think I need to work on that then. Thank you ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

• Thanks. Even if it's quite a long time ago, the feeling is still fresh. But indeed, comfort plays a big role in it I think. Or, rather called safety. If you feel comfortable where you are, or what you are doing or thinking, it kind of makes you feel more safe. There are usually less worries when feeling safe, since the brain doesn't really pay much attention to the stress or thoughts. So, I think it would also kind of help you with overcome the darkness. If you have trouble with sleeping, a good comfy bed works, along with a night light. A bit of reading or other activity that makes you a bit tired, and after a while you might get sleepy. A nice, warm, comfy bed and a bit of light could get a bit of fear away. I think.

Most Helpful Girl

• Youโ€™re hardly the only adult afraid of the dark. My college roommate turned every light in the room on when she came home. She was your age. I go through periods when I donโ€™t feel safe sleeping with my door closed. I used to be nervous in the dark, but I have a light right next to my bed that I can turn on without reaching (bc demons might grab my arm, right?). Iโ€™ve felt better since then.