How to stop being afraid of the dark?

To be honest I thought it was normal for a grown adult to be afraid of the dark. I found out it's not. I need help please I'm deathly afraid of it. I tried the exposure method and I freaked out. Just the thought of being alone, and anything like a ghost or some demon can just pop up n whisper in your ear or flash their face scares me! Basically all the stuff you see in movies are what goes through my mind. I know it's "not real" but my mind just goes wild. Anyone else afraid of the dark? How can I overcome it?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I'm kind of scared of the dark. I don't watch any horror movies, but I'm easily scared by pretty much anything you throw at me. I have a night light at the corner of the bedroom, that illuminates a small area. It kinda works. I know how you feel, with all those thoughts in your mind. I have a lot of trouble sleeping most of the time. The main reason why I don't watch horror movies is because it scares the hell out of me. But that's also because my mother died 5 years ago, and I don't want to watch zombie movies. The thought of knowing a zombie who's actually a family member, or even closer pretty much frightens me. But the fear might go away by time. It makes it less painful, I think, once you get wiser or more comfortable. It's not always like that, but comfort plays a big part of the fear.

1|0
    0|0
    • Sorry to hear that about your mother ๐Ÿ’”
      Interesting you say comfort plays a big part, I think I need to work on that then. Thank you ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

• Thanks. Even if it's quite a long time ago, the feeling is still fresh. But indeed, comfort plays a big role in it I think. Or, rather called safety. If you feel comfortable where you are, or what you are doing or thinking, it kind of makes you feel more safe. There are usually less worries when feeling safe, since the brain doesn't really pay much attention to the stress or thoughts. So, I think it would also kind of help you with overcome the darkness. If you have trouble with sleeping, a good comfy bed works, along with a night light. A bit of reading or other activity that makes you a bit tired, and after a while you might get sleepy. A nice, warm, comfy bed and a bit of light could get a bit of fear away. I think.

Most Helpful Girl

• Youโ€™re hardly the only adult afraid of the dark. My college roommate turned every light in the room on when she came home. She was your age. I go through periods when I donโ€™t feel safe sleeping with my door closed. I used to be nervous in the dark, but I have a light right next to my bed that I can turn on without reaching (bc demons might grab my arm, right?). Iโ€™ve felt better since then.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 29

• For me exposure worked, but it took a long time, wasn't fun..

1|0
    0|0
    • Oh man, how'd it go? What did you do?

• Show All
    • Huh, sounds nice, I'll try that out ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

• Good luck :)

• when ever u have to step into areas without light and start having those thoughts of demons, ghosts, evil spirits from the scariest movies u watched, Remember that those characters from those movies don't even know u. They don't, u don't owe anyone anything. That's how I got rid of mine cos fear is all a thought to be repkaced

1|0
    0|0
    • Right! I think I'll watch behind the scenes of scary movies to help me out too. Thanks!!

• Sleep with a night light on, as time goes on decrease it and decrease and decrease it until you just take all the lights away. Remember the sun will come up you'll be fine. Say your prayers to the Lord every night before you fall asleep

1|0
    0|0
    • That sounds like a peaceful way to do it. Thanks ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

• Show All
    • Hahaha it's okay! That happens to me too ๐Ÿ˜‚

• You really have two options, CONCENTRATE THE FUCK OUT OF YOUR BRAIN TO NOT THINK OF ANYTHING CREEPY or just be ready to kick anything that can come from the dark, isn't the living stronger than the dead?

1|0
    0|0
    • I know! I had to come to this app to get the creepy thoughts away ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ ! But yeah you're right, I just gotta be tough and be ready to fight something in the dark! (Except one night I was so scared I slept with a bat and my mom walked in and I got up so fast with it - she just stared at me like "wow look at you, ready to hit your own mother. Stop being stupid" ) haha

• Have a gun... no seriously the reason that people are afraid of something is that they dont know it... u can use a flashlight to check everything every few minutes and after a while when you see everything is normal... u just get over it

1|0
    0|0
    • Maybe not a gun, but a blunt weapon would be great. Thanks for the advice !!

• Is it actually the dark you're afraid of or just not being able to see? Maybe you should start wearing a blindfold during the day.

1|0
    0|0
    • That's not a bad idea!
      It's definitely afraid of the dark though, in poor lighting I'll start to see shapes n weird things. But I'll definitely try out the blindfold during the day, sounds great!

• If nothing you do seems to be helping maybe you should see a therapist. If you know you're not in any real danger then your fear is rooted in something deeper. Understanding what that is might help you know how to overcome it.

• Awesome, I never thought about a therapist, maybe I'll get a clearer idea and understanding it would help out a lot.

• Shut your mind off iunno you gotta drop the fear and distortions that have been put in your head to make you afraid of the dark like whatever you think is there is nit there lol

1|0
    0|0
    • I knooow! It's hard though. I've tried. Sometimes it works for 5 seconds I believe I'm a boss & I can beat anything up - but then the fear comes back like "who you thought you was?" ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

• Show All
    • Hehe meanwhile i sit in the pitch black

• So whats up?

• Fear is imaginary and unreal but danger is real. Movies, ghosts and demons are not real, they are just movies. It's for you not because am telling you to, next time try it at home where all the lights are off and it's completely dark and start thinking out loud what can possibly happen to you in the dark that is real. Try to focus on what is real and not the movies, trust your self and take few steps into the dark because there is nothing to fear. Fear is based on many ''What if'' what if a demon came out of no where which is unrealistic, change your ''what if'' that's based on fantasy to ''it's nothing'' which is real. Try it at home few times and think real out loud. You will be alright, i guarantee it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm personally terrified of the dark I have to sleep with a light or the TV on and I am 20 years old.

1|0
    0|0
    • ๐Ÿ˜ฉ aaaahh!!

• Iโ€™m almost 20 and I sleep with a nightlight Iโ€™ve had since I was a baby. Iโ€™m not afraid I just donโ€™t like sleeping in the dark, I used to be scared when I was a kid. The only time Iโ€™m scared is after watching a horror movie

• Well I'm also a little so I can't sleep without my stuffie or paci...

• Mentally understand there is no such thing called ghost or monsters etc.

1|0
    0|1
    • But I saw one ):

• Show All
    • ๐Ÿ˜ sorry about that I've seen this guy around and he's always so arrogant acting like he's superior to everyone he's talking to and it pissed me off

• Troll blocked. Thanks.

• we all are to some extent... but fear is a choice :)

1|0
    0|0
  • sit down with your mum or little brother or anyone in dark room
    so you will be getting used to it

1|0
    0|0
  • Try keeping your mind off it...
    Try listening to music that soothes you or makes you laugh

1|0
    0|0
  • You need to realise that ghosts and demons donโ€™t exist.

You seem to be unwilling to believe that though, so why not turn them into your friends? Invite them for a spoon, cuddle and netflix & chill.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's all part of some kind of anxiety problem... U can seek professional help and see.. It might change ur subconscious view bout it

1|0
    0|0
  • Remember there is nothing to be scared off because like the great Sam Fisher said if you are in the dark with monsters they can't see you like you can't see them

0|0
    0|0
    • Idky that made it more scarier ๐Ÿ˜ญ , but I get it.

• Lol how safer in the dark then having a light sourounded by dark

• Best way to overcome a fear is to face the fear itself.

0|1
    0|0
  • Try music, night light, get a pet and let it sleep with you.

0|0
    0|0
  • did u tried the gradient method instead of exposure?

it takes time but is better for longer run

0|0
    0|0
    • No I haven't, I guess I'll try it gradually.

• Show All
    • Oh wow, okay I'll try that out ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ thanks !!

• yeah that will work out well

• Just to be clear I m not afraid of dark but I like giving advice/opinions in virtual works to feel connected, which helped me to overcome my fear of approaching girls ( for friendship ). Learning for you u r afraid of dark if u r alone that's good which means u r not afraid if someone is with you. Start by taking your loved ones along with you in dark and create memories (like talking Ur mind out, gossiping etc ) if u do this for while. Then try to go alone and Wen u r there focus on those good memories and attach them and happiness from it to darkness it should help overcoming your fear

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 1

• Look Iโ€™m not scared of the dark but I always sleep with a nightlight unless Iโ€™m with someone else sleeping in my bed like a friend, cousin, or my mom in hotels. Itโ€™s a comfort thing, Iโ€™ve had my Peter Rabbit nightlight since I was born in 98. I still use it every night unless itโ€™s sunrise by the the time I fall asleep. The only time Iโ€™m actually afraid is if Iโ€™ve seen a new and scary horror movie other than that, nope. No judgement, I donโ€™t like sleeping in a pitch black room.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes