Is being a good person, actually a bad thing?

Odd question, right? It's just something I was thinking about. I have a tendency to be treated poorly by people, people have no qualms about hurting me (emotionally). Just one negative thing after another. I suppose I can be a bit of door mat. My mom says I'm too nice and people think it's okay to treat me that way. I just , I know what it's like to be hurt by others words and to stand up for myself I feel I have to become just as big of a jack ass as the person that hurt me and I don't want to do that. I don't want be that way. I just can't bring myself to hurt someone in order to defend myself. So, because of that the cycle will always continue , huh?

Hence my question. Do you think being a good person just makes everything harder because people think they can treat you bad because you are such a good person? Just something I'm curious about.

536

Most Helpful Guy

• Being a good person, is a good thing. Letting people hurt you, is a bad thing. People don't hurt you because your nice, people hurt you because you let them. It's a fine line, but a big difference. You owe to yourself and your self-esteem to stand up for your self. To let people know the way they are treating you is not acceptable and you have zero tolerance for anything less then to be treated with respect and love. You don't have to be a jack ass to stand up for yourself. But you do have to love yourself enough. If you really can't bring yourself to stand up for yourself. Maybe it's time to seek help to develop that skill set. It's an important part of healthy living. What do you think?

• I think you are right. It's not that I never stand my ground, it's just I know who I can speak my mind to and who I can't because they'll turn it around on me. So, it just depends.

• I'm just saying there's people I'm close to that if something they do bothers me, I know I can state how I feel without an argument, with most people I've encounter though, I don't have that same luxury.

• Thank you for MHG. You rock Love!!!

Most Helpful Girl

• No it's not a bad thing. Being a good person is not the same as being a doormat, letting people use and hurt you, etc. You can be a good person but still have the ability to put your foot down when you're being mistreated, and to cut ties with toxic people. I'm a good person, and although I've met a handful of pretty bad people in my life, the majority of the people I've actually invested my time in have treated me with just as much kindness and authenticity.
    Your kindness isn't the issue, the issue is that you let people walk all over you and treat you badly.