Is there any reason in 2018 that you would ever give a hitchhiker a ride?

Is there any reason in 2018 that you would ever give a hitchhiker a ride?
  • Yes (explain)
    Vote A
  • No way
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|1

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I would never give a hitchhiker a ride in my car. If it seemed like they needed help , i'd call the emergency services , but i wouldn't pull over for them

0|0
    0|0
    • This. I personally just don't want to be "that girl" on the news who decided out of the goodness of her heart to pick up this one hitchhiker this one time and he turned out to be some killer on a streak. It is so much different for women. I mean, true a killer and kill anyone, male or female, but most of the time when you hear these stories, it's a woman who was killed/raped/whatever awful. Truly, you are not obligated to give them a ride, let alone even call someone else for them, but I feel like the least I could do was call the police for them or emergency services... and if they refused that help, my hairs would stand up on the back of my neck, and I'd hit the gas!

• I agree. That's so true! It's just not worth the risk.

• Thanks for the MHO

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 31

• Because I'm a guy who can differentiate a good safe person and a potential threat. I also have a license to carry... I strongly suggest that all women refrain from picking up anyone hitchhiking, M or F it's dangerous. My bad, I'm glad I proofread this, I left my answer out & yes I'd pick up a H. H. in certain circumstances.

0|0
    0|0
  • I always do if given the - very, very rare - opportunity... I hope that its like the movies, so either the hot blonde with big boobs uses me sexually or I end up in a ditch, bloody and with limbs missing, panting and sweating while the sound of the chainsaw tells the undeniable truth; he is still out there and now heading my way to finish what he started...

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes because if the people/person looks decent then I would pick them up and take them as far as I go. Plus just because it's 2018 has nothing to do with it, we all go broke sometimes, have a car break down or a battery die on us. Misfortune is omnipresent.

0|0
    0|0
    • the reason I asked about "2018" is because most people have cell phones now, vs. in previous decades which were the height of picking up hitchhikers because you knew back then, they couldn't just call someone they knew to pick them up.

• Yeah but what if my phone is dead?

• "Misfortune is omnipresent." I'm merely addressing the issue of 2018 vs. just in general. I also want to point out, these are strangers. Just because someone shaves, or has on some decent clothing, doesn't mean they can't or won't harm you. Not all criminals... look like or act like you'd think a criminal should. If they wanted to cause you harm, odds are, they're not going to stand out there by the road side with a gun hanging from their waist and blood dripping from their finger tips.

• I would always give rise to Hitchhiker's number to who I've been stranded so many times it's just you know do something like maybe someone else to do it I have gotten few rides from people hitchhiking and is very appreciative and that's another reason I get rides

0|0
    0|0
  • I used to pick up hitchhikers all the time. Until 1 man I picked up stunk so bad that I rolled down my driver side window and leaned my head out so I wouldn't have to smell him. Thankfully he was only going a couple of miles. I haven't picked up a hitchhiker since, and that's been several years.

0|0
    0|0
  • You're a cop and you see the hitchhiker's face on a BOLO. That's a good reason to give him / her a ride. :)

1|0
    0|0
  • I still hitchhike. i am a big guy who is very good at defending himself, though

0|0
    0|1
    • what if they have a gun or offer you some water and you wake up in some basement?

• no biggie, not afraid of death. they would have to want to kill me though or be very good in trying to imprison me. if they were not, i like inflicting pain and was a real bash artist as a kid

• As long as they look like they need help and they don't pose any physical threat, I just might. I'm an able-bodied man - I can stand up for myself if it's an unarmed teenager or woman

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean... if they pass my visual appearance test, I don't see why not. If you were stranded or had to travel a long distance by foot wouldn't you want people to be kind to you as well?

0|0
    0|1
  • If the hitchhiker was a small female who doesn't appear to be drunk and there don't seem to be any other people hiding around...
    Then I might consider offering a ride.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why does 2018 matter? Picking up hitchhikers has been stupid and dangerous since the invention of the Ford Model T vehicle from 1920.

0|0
    0|0
    • My parents have talked about hitchhiking; both of them did it in their youth, both of them gave rides to others. For them, it really was community helping community because not a lot of people had cars. There really was little to no danger in doing it and though I still firmly believe there were dangerous people out there back then, I think with the advent of technology, and the spreading of safety information and horrible tales of people hurting others, very few would actually offer a ride to someone else. Plus most assume, you have a cell phone now, so call someone you know to pick you up. My parents obviously didn't have cell phones back then, so unless you hitchhiked in situations like your car broke down, you'd be sitting there forever or have to walk.

• I can't drive so nope but if I could then yeah why not. I'd like to think we aren't to far gone as a society to still help hitchhikers.

0|0
    0|0
  • Normally I don't take the risk, except if I know the person.
    Some smile like a friend than get in your car and car jack you 8)

0|0
    0|0
  • if i have the time, and the traffic allows it sure.
    But i would only do it if i had my weapon just to feel safe.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes if they are in need. You need to use some caution but countries like France there is the good samaritan law.. ...

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe if they were going to freeze to death and no one will be coming down the road for awhile, I think in some states it’s even a law

0|0
    0|0
  • I would, I was a hitcher myself at one point. We don't want to hurt you we just want to get to the next town/state over.

0|0
    0|0
    • Correction: YOU may not want to hurt people, but you certainly don't represent everyone.

• Show All
    • You have a point I guess I just look for the good in people đŸ˜‚

• I really wish there were in general more good people. I know they are out there because I've been helped by strangers myself before with other stuff, but I still retain my girl scout heart, better safe than sorry.

• i'd sure do, cause i've been hichhiking myself only 3 years ago.

0|0
    0|0
  • I get money for a ride - win
    I get killed - JACKPOT

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.. Coz if you don't need others then why someone will help when you are in need.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 12

• hell to the no, I have read too many ann rule books and also watched too many unsolved mystery to become a hitchhiker or pick one up. NO THANKS

1|0
    0|0
  • Literally only if it's a female with young children with her, and looks like she's struggling.

Sorry guys, but I have trust issues.

1|0
    0|0
  • Only and only only if the hitchhiker was my best friend or my mom other than that I'd never pick anyone up.

0|0
    0|0
  • The only time I would pickup a hitchhiker is if I knew them. There are to many weirdos out on the road today.

1|0
    0|0
  • If it's a young kid like 10-13 something bad could happen, but of course I check them for weapons first

0|0
    0|0
  • Mayyyyyybe a woman and her baby or a small man and a baby.
    lol I know that sounds bad with all the requirements, I just don't want to die.

0|0
    0|0
  • Definetly not alone—There are a lot of weirdos and I like being alive at this time.

1|0
    0|0
  • If they look like they really do need a ride, possibly

If they look sketchy tho, nuh uh

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope , i dont trust strangers. I mean it depends if i can read them but pretty much a no.

0|0
    0|0
  • No way, thats how people get killed.

0|1
    0|0
  • If it's someone I know.

0|0
    0|0
    • why wouldn't you pick up someone you dont know?

• Show All
    • Yeah you too, haha wrote an answer before your second reply. :)

• Thanks, my mistake :)

• No even if they have a baby.

0|0
    0|0
    • what if they have pizza

• Show All
    • so you would risk getting shot in the head just to not give someone a ride (or god knows what)?

• It's 2018 there are a lot of sickos out there I'm not giving anyone a chance to do that.

Recommended myTakes