Is there any reason in 2018 that you would ever give a hitchhiker a ride?

• Yes (explain)
    32%(8)46%(36)Vote52%(28)
  • No way
    68%(17)54%(43)Vote48%(26)

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I would never give a hitchhiker a ride in my car. If it seemed like they needed help , i'd call the emergency services , but i wouldn't pull over for them

• This. I personally just don't want to be "that girl" on the news who decided out of the goodness of her heart to pick up this one hitchhiker this one time and he turned out to be some killer on a streak. It is so much different for women. I mean, true a killer and kill anyone, male or female, but most of the time when you hear these stories, it's a woman who was killed/raped/whatever awful. Truly, you are not obligated to give them a ride, let alone even call someone else for them, but I feel like the least I could do was call the police for them or emergency services... and if they refused that help, my hairs would stand up on the back of my neck, and I'd hit the gas!

• I agree. That's so true! It's just not worth the risk.

• Thanks for the MHO

What Guys Said 31

• You're a cop and you see the hitchhiker's face on a BOLO. That's a good reason to give him / her a ride. :)

• Because I'm a guy who can differentiate a good safe person and a potential threat. I also have a license to carry... I strongly suggest that all women refrain from picking up anyone hitchhiking, M or F it's dangerous. My bad, I'm glad I proofread this, I left my answer out & yes I'd pick up a H. H. in certain circumstances.

• As long as they look like they need help and they don't pose any physical threat, I just might. I'm an able-bodied man - I can stand up for myself if it's an unarmed teenager or woman

• Why does 2018 matter? Picking up hitchhikers has been stupid and dangerous since the invention of the Ford Model T vehicle from 1920.

• My parents have talked about hitchhiking; both of them did it in their youth, both of them gave rides to others. For them, it really was community helping community because not a lot of people had cars. There really was little to no danger in doing it and though I still firmly believe there were dangerous people out there back then, I think with the advent of technology, and the spreading of safety information and horrible tales of people hurting others, very few would actually offer a ride to someone else. Plus most assume, you have a cell phone now, so call someone you know to pick you up. My parents obviously didn't have cell phones back then, so unless you hitchhiked in situations like your car broke down, you'd be sitting there forever or have to walk.

• Maybe if they were going to freeze to death and no one will be coming down the road for awhile, I think in some states it’s even a law

• Normally I don't take the risk, except if I know the person.
    Some smile like a friend than get in your car and car jack you 8)

• I always do if given the - very, very rare - opportunity... I hope that its like the movies, so either the hot blonde with big boobs uses me sexually or I end up in a ditch, bloody and with limbs missing, panting and sweating while the sound of the chainsaw tells the undeniable truth; he is still out there and now heading my way to finish what he started...

• I would always give rise to Hitchhiker's number to who I've been stranded so many times it's just you know do something like maybe someone else to do it I have gotten few rides from people hitchhiking and is very appreciative and that's another reason I get rides

• If the hitchhiker was a small female who doesn't appear to be drunk and there don't seem to be any other people hiding around...
    Then I might consider offering a ride.

• I mean... if they pass my visual appearance test, I don't see why not. If you were stranded or had to travel a long distance by foot wouldn't you want people to be kind to you as well?

• I used to pick up hitchhikers all the time. Until 1 man I picked up stunk so bad that I rolled down my driver side window and leaned my head out so I wouldn't have to smell him. Thankfully he was only going a couple of miles. I haven't picked up a hitchhiker since, and that's been several years.

• I got many rides myself

• i'd sure do, cause i've been hichhiking myself only 3 years ago.

• I don't need a reason to help people 😇

• I still hitchhike. i am a big guy who is very good at defending himself, though

• what if they have a gun or offer you some water and you wake up in some basement?

• no biggie, not afraid of death. they would have to want to kill me though or be very good in trying to imprison me. if they were not, i like inflicting pain and was a real bash artist as a kid

• I can't drive so nope but if I could then yeah why not. I'd like to think we aren't to far gone as a society to still help hitchhikers.

• Yes because if the people/person looks decent then I would pick them up and take them as far as I go. Plus just because it's 2018 has nothing to do with it, we all go broke sometimes, have a car break down or a battery die on us. Misfortune is omnipresent.

• the reason I asked about "2018" is because most people have cell phones now, vs. in previous decades which were the height of picking up hitchhikers because you knew back then, they couldn't just call someone they knew to pick them up.

• Yeah but what if my phone is dead?

• "Misfortune is omnipresent." I'm merely addressing the issue of 2018 vs. just in general. I also want to point out, these are strangers. Just because someone shaves, or has on some decent clothing, doesn't mean they can't or won't harm you. Not all criminals... look like or act like you'd think a criminal should. If they wanted to cause you harm, odds are, they're not going to stand out there by the road side with a gun hanging from their waist and blood dripping from their finger tips.

• No I ride a bike.

• Any children 44lbs and under I'll pick up off the road. Bungie them down nice and secure.

• if i have the time, and the traffic allows it sure.
    But i would only do it if i had my weapon just to feel safe.

• I would, I was a hitcher myself at one point. We don't want to hurt you we just want to get to the next town/state over.

• Correction: YOU may not want to hurt people, but you certainly don't represent everyone.

• You have a point I guess I just look for the good in people 😂

• I really wish there were in general more good people. I know they are out there because I've been helped by strangers myself before with other stuff, but I still retain my girl scout heart, better safe than sorry.

• She's hot.

• Yes if they are in need. You need to use some caution but countries like France there is the good samaritan law.. ...

• in my country its dangerous so i don't do that

• yes if she's hot and naked

• If she's hot... maybe

• Never lol

• Id be like yo u wanna ride in my trunk?

• fuck no

• Money

• I get money for a ride - win
    I get killed - JACKPOT

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 12

• hell to the no, I have read too many ann rule books and also watched too many unsolved mystery to become a hitchhiker or pick one up. NO THANKS

• Literally only if it's a female with young children with her, and looks like she's struggling.

Sorry guys, but I have trust issues.

• The only time I would pickup a hitchhiker is if I knew them. There are to many weirdos out on the road today.

• Definetly not alone—There are a lot of weirdos and I like being alive at this time.

• Mayyyyyybe a woman and her baby or a small man and a baby.
    lol I know that sounds bad with all the requirements, I just don't want to die.

• Only and only only if the hitchhiker was my best friend or my mom other than that I'd never pick anyone up.

• No way, thats how people get killed.

• If it's a young kid like 10-13 something bad could happen, but of course I check them for weapons first

• If they look like they really do need a ride, possibly

If they look sketchy tho, nuh uh

• If it's someone I know.

• why wouldn't you pick up someone you dont know?

• Yeah you too, haha wrote an answer before your second reply. :)

• Thanks, my mistake :)

• No even if they have a baby.

• what if they have pizza

• so you would risk getting shot in the head just to not give someone a ride (or god knows what)?

• It's 2018 there are a lot of sickos out there I'm not giving anyone a chance to do that.

• Nope , i dont trust strangers. I mean it depends if i can read them but pretty much a no.