Is working minimum wage enough to live on or afford to pay for house or car?

for the cost of a car insurance and licensing fees and registration fees and gas and the cost to live alone and buy a house?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• We have no idea where you're at, but where I live the minimum wage is so low that you have to work around 70 hours per week to afford a crappy apartment and a used car. And even then you'd be lucky. Maybe a used trailer with low property tax you could rent. And I'm in one of the lowest cost of living areas in the U. S.

2|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Normally no. If you rented a house instead then probably.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 29

• In the words of Zoidberg

1|2
    0|0
  • The cost of housing alone is such that in most communities minimum wage is not enough for those.
    Among the solutions are to (1) have roommates, (2) share a car, (3) work multiple min-wage jobs, (4) live at home, (5) live within walking distance of work.
    Minimum wage jobs are starter positions where you gain references for your next job by being pleasant, showing up for work, doing a quality job etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • Definitely not. But it's not supposed to. In my opinion. A minimum wage gets you minimum things. Hence the name.

However if everyone could afford a house and car on minimum wage, there would be no incentive to go further up the economical ladder to make more money. And we would lose jobs, and businesses would no thrive to create more jobs and employ more people.

My opinion

1|1
    0|0
  • Not in most places. It could be done in the little town I live near if, and it is a big if, if you had full time hours. That would be about $CAN28,000 a year where houses are available at under $100,000. You would have to be very efficient and thrifty.

1|0
    0|0
  • You can live but thats all you can do, no extra for clothes, entertainment etc

1|1
    0|0
    • not even a car

• You could afford to run a cheap car and pay cheap rent and feed yourself with basic ingredients but that would be all your money

• It depends on where you live and how well you can budget, really. You sure as hell ain't buying a house though - a lot of people can't afford one and they have higher incomes than that

1|0
    0|0
  • You live within your means. If you can only get a job that pays minimum wage that is what you live to. Or get qualifications to get a better paying job. You get nothing free in this world you have to work for it... sorry...

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably not, unless you live in a tiny village, grow your own food, use your brain to do things that people did before special tools were invented, and have no kids.

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably not, but the jobs that pay minimum wage are the jobs that young teens get as their first job. They aren't supposed to be jobs that adults use to support fully support themselves.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on where and how you live, but it would definitely not be easy. I bought a car and completely paid it off within a year while working minimum wage but I was still living with my parents at the time.

1|0
    0|0
  • If you were a couple and both working and living cheaply then yes.
    Otherwise, no.

1|0
    0|0
  • minimum wage, car insurance and an apartment vary tremendously.

If you live in a small cheap town in Ontario, yes, probably. most places no.

1|1
    0|0
  • depends where you live, where I live that's nigh impossible, I wait tables though so it's not min wage

1|0
    0|0
  • In some countries, maybe, in mine, with the minimum wage, I think it's not possible, would be barely enough to cover the house rental and bills..

0|0
    0|0
  • Not unless you work so much overtime you have nothing to look forward to but talking to the regulars at the diner who have become your only friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say no, it may be possible but it would be very hard. No savings account to be prepared for any emergencies.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. Min wage is a slave wage. Trust me I make 48 an he and I still have trouble.

1|0
    0|0
  • No chance unfortunately. have you own business on the side.

1|0
    0|0
  • in pennsylvania minimum wage is $7.25. presuming you work 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year you are bringing about about $13200.00 after taxes

let's say you could insure your car for $80 a month
    assuming $250 on a monthly car payment (which is below the national average for a new car)
    pay rent of about $450 (very cheap accommodations) a month

that puts you at about $9,360 in expenses. those estimates presume renting property not purchasing. i don't see how you could save for a down payment, pay closing costs, homeowners insurance, and a monthly mortgage in addition to car costs and food and clothing on $13,200

0|0
    0|0
  • It is not

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 6

• Geography plays a major roll in that answer.
    San Francisco CA probably not.
    Lexington KT probably.

0|0
    0|0
  • LOL! You’re funny anon!

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably not.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not.

1|0
    0|0
  • A car possibly but definetly not a house

1|0
    0|0
  • Minimum wage was not designed to be a living wage.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes