If you accidentally killed someone, but knew for CERTAIN that you could get away with it, would you keep quiet or turn yourself in?

For the sake of argument, let’s say that the person you killed is not someone whose existence—or death—has any implication on your life. This person is, for all intents and purposes, a stranger to you. You could, if you wanted to, continue living your life exactly as is if you choose to keep your role in their death a secret.

• If you accidentally killed someone, but knew for CERTAIN that you could get away with it, would you keep quiet or turn yourself in?I would keep quiet and hide/remove all evidence of my connection to their death.
    Vote A
  • If you accidentally killed someone, but knew for CERTAIN that you could get away with it, would you keep quiet or turn yourself in?I would turn myself in to the authorities.
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

2|2

Most Helpful Guy

• Use all that I've learned from watching TV and people I know from Finland's Central Bureau of Investigation and hide that shit and then wallow with whisky.

0|1
    1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• If I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time or well intentioned, I'd keep it quiet and atone for the rest of my life. If I'm not violent or malicious that is. This kinda happens in the medical field daily. Patients get the wrong treatment or mistakes are made and people wind up dead. Doctor's don't usually go to jail for misdiagnosing patients. A lot of them go on to save several other lives. I think this situation is very subjective.

Another comparison is if I unintentionally ran someone over because I was driving drunk or texting. I'd turn myself in over that because someone would be dead for no better reason than my arrogance and stupidity and I'd really need some time to get my shit together

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 38

• Whatever happened to people taking responsibility for their actions? "I killed someone, but I don't want to go to jail, waaahhh." Well, the person didn't want to DIE. The person's family and loved ones and friends didn't want to lose someone so dear to them. YOU are to blame. Take solace in the fact that you did not mean to, that you had no intention to cause harm, that it was an accident and unavoidable, so you actually weren't to blame, weren't responsible, to a certain extent. You can't undo it, you can't fix it, but turning yourself in and telling the truth of what happened is the only thing you can do towards setting things right. The family and friends will have the peace of mind of knowing what happened, the satisfaction of knowing the person who caused it is not running free, maybe to do it again to someone else.

In the end, if you are thinking about the victims instead of yourself (although I suppose you are a victim of the accident as well), and it truly was an unavoidable accident, you probably won't be criminally responsible or have to face jail time. And you will have a clean conscience, instead of it haunting you the rest of your life. It might anyway, but at least you will know that you did all you could.

3|0
    0|2
  • - Did i intend to harm him but not kill him? No i wouldn't turn myself in.
    - Did i kill him through doing something stupid? Hmm.. tough one, depends who got killed, there would be a difference between an old drunk and a young kid.
    - Did i kill him completely accidentally while doing something perfectly safe and legal? Yes i would turn myself in.

2|0
    0|0
    • Is your reasoning for the first one based on the justification that if you intended to hurt them, then they were clearly doing something to deserve it?

• Precisely that, I never want or harm someone for the sake of it, but if they make me do something and then they die... my hands are clean and I won’t go down for it. It all could be avoided if they didn’t do the thing in the first place.

• #3 I like
      #1 is a little like self defense, maybe? I would turn myself in anyway, in any situation I will feel sad if anyone dies...

• If it was accidental and no laws were broken, turn yourself in. You would get in way more trouble if they find out later that you did it and said nothing. If you get caught later it won't look like an accident anymore, it will look like you have something to hide.

0|1
    0|0
    • But, in this case, you KNOW that you will not be getting caught.

• Hah, I would like to take advantage of this opportunity and test your skills of evaluative analysis.
    What do you think I would do?

1|1
    0|0
    • Haha, making me answer the question for you... I see how it is.
      Well, here's the conclusion my deduction leads me to: It would be circumstance-dependent, but assuming that the person didn't die in a such a way that left you with too many mental scars, you would keep it quiet.
      There's an answerer on here who pointed out that going to prison would not necessarily alleviate one's guilt over the crime, and it definitely wouldn't undo the crime, so from a rational perspective, keeping quiet is the smarter option (as long as you have a higher chance of getting away with the crime than getting caught later down the road where it would look like more than manslaughter and add additional charges).
      Furthermore, it's long been shown that being incarcerated is strongly related to future offending. The simple act of going to prison means that you're more likely to come out a true criminal than if you'd stayed out of it. Crime begets crime. If you want to keep your morals intact,

• you'd have a better chance of doing so if you stayed away from settings which are overrun by bad influences.
      What's more is that, within prison, you do no good to anybody. Prison is for people who would do more harm than good on the outside. You, on the other hand, not having a criminal predisposition or otherwise being a menace to society, would benefit both yourself and others by remaining a free-walking member of society.

That’s how I think that you would rationalize your choice. Did I miss anything?

• Well, an accident is an accident. One can't change that. But, it won't be seen as an accident in the eyes of the law.
    So, I'll have to either hide him safely or, to disguise his death in a way that, I'm free from any blame.
    If, the law was good enough to understand that, it was an accident or, if I had some significant proof then, I may have turned myself in.

2|0
    0|0
  • I don't do accidents if I can help it.

But for the sake of the question no I wouldn't cover it up. If you kill someone by accident like they appear in the middle of road out of nowhere or something best thing you can do is call the cops and explain what happened.

1|0
    0|0
  • If it was a complete accident, then I would turn myself in, hoping for a reduced sentence, and that any loved ones of the victim would take solace in knowing justice was served.
    If I knew the bastard and he had it coming, then the cops can go chase their tails forever.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't see the point in turning yourself in. It isn't like it will undo what you already did. No sense ruining a second life when there is nothing to gain from it. At most, try to learn a lesson so that it never happens again.

I don't understand people thinking going to prison would somehow rid them of their guilty feelings. Even if I served my sentence, I would still feel just as guilty as before I went in. It isn't like going to prison would undo what had already been done. If you want to feel better about yourself after accidentally killing someone, then staying free and trying to do some good in the world seems like a smarter option.

1|1
    0|0
  • Even if it was an accident I would have had to been acting in some irresponsible manner to cause someone's death. I should face the consequences of my behavior, also this person had a life there are many other people who would be affected by their death if my punishment helps ease their grief in any way it would be worth it.

0|0
    0|0
  • you would never get away with it just hand your self in this dead person come from some where and how would you get ride of the body goverments of the world spend billions of £ $ per year to help fight crime dont treat law as daft do not commit crime and you can sleep at night

0|0
    0|0
  • Do not mess around with "Those Who Control The Lightning".

https://youtu.be/nSOjMkoBYYA

0|0
    0|0
  • Nothing would be served by turning myself in. Nor is it a requirement of the law. I would say nothing.

0|1
    0|0
  • we never loose our demons - we only learn to live above them..

if i killed someone i would choose the path that could help me live about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • In germany we say: ein bisschen Schwund gibts immer. Means maybe: some dwindeling always happens. I would get rid of the dead body and get over it

0|0
    0|0
  • Did they need to die? I already know where I dispose of the body.

0|0
    0|0
    • Nope, they didn't need to die. You killed them by accident, without wanting or intending to do so.

• Well, in that case I don't think I would have to turn myself in. Get a lawyer, explain the situation and hope for the best.

• If i was protecting myself from someone killing me
    I would admit to the police that i was trying to protect myself.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've had that dream a couple of times, and always woken up before I decided what to do...

0|0
    0|0
  • ... instead going to prison it's better to provide for the victim family.
    I don't really get why people choose turn them self in to the authorities

0|0
    0|0
  • Going to prison wouldn't solve anything. I'd take their wallet and harvest their organs and make sure their death wasn't in vain.

0|0
    0|0
  • keep quiet lol... like whateves, what's done is done

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd turn myself in. Accident or not, I'd have taken someone's life and I can't bear that kind of guilt.

0|0
    0|1
  • Any of you saying you wood hand your self in ever been inside? I got out ³ days ago after serving 2 and a bit years... if it's unintended stay free !

0|0
    0|0
  • If I want someone dead that's different from an accident. I would have to turn myself in.

0|0
    0|1
  • I would tell them what happened, take the plea for manslaughter and do my time.

0|0
    0|0
  • One of the most heart breaking crimes that are on the rise in my society is the hit and run. A work college of mine was telling me about one of her Friends who was killed this way last year, this girl was hit by a guy who must of drove his car onto a sidewalk to hit her. The mother who was walking with the girl at the time could only cradle her daughter in her arms before she died. The driver of the car returned to the scene of the crime after the accident and then drove off again. He got caught down the track, law enforcement will eventually get you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends. Would I have killed that person for a fair reason?

0|0
    0|0
    • It was simply an accident. Entirely your fault, but you didn't intend or want to kill that person.

• Then I would turn myself in.

• I would keep quiet and hide/remove all evidence of my connection to their death.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is nothing wrong in trying.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd confess.

0|0
    0|0
  • What retard would turn themselves in

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 19

• Well it would be man slaughter, i'd hand myself in.
    and hope the jury took pity on me since it would of been a total accident lol, but i would turn myself in because my moral compass would play on me, i'd feel to much guilt if they had never done anything wrong to me.

1|0
    0|1
  • It really depends on who they were. Serial killer or rapist? String their body up in public. An innocent? send it home to their loved ones.

Some criminal who tried to hurt me or my family? cut them up and feed them to the wolves

0|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't do it regardless. Maybe people who kill innocents would be the one that deserves to get murdered. But then at the same time, I don't want to live the rest of my life knowing this dark secret alone.

0|0
    0|0
  • I had one guy send me death threats so I e-mailed a millionaire that I know with his first and last name along with a photo of him.

1|0
    0|0
  • Awfully surprised at how many people would find a way to get away with it :( I would obviously turn myself in - the guilt would kill me, in a metaphoric or even literally... I could never live carrying such a stone up on my shoulders.

0|0
    0|1
  • If it was really an accident and not the result of reckless behavior on my part, I would not be criminally liable and would have nothing to fear.

0|1
    0|0
  • Can you live with the guilt if you kept it a secret (assuming you can even keep a secret)?

0|2
    0|0
    • No the thing said its an acident. Why would you feel guilty?

• @sumboi: So, you don't think you'd feel guilty at all of someone's death even if it's an accident or not your your fault? Also, wouldn't hiding knowledge & evidence of the death make you feel guilty? That would be "cold-blooded" to not have any guilt at all.

• never really felt guilty b4 so I don't know but i doubt i would.

• If I know I won't be charged, I would turn myself in... to not do so would actually only cause suspicion (if the rules can bend in this scenario)

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd rather live 2 years in prison paying for my crime, than to live my whole life in guilt, thinking of what damage I had done to the person and his/her family..

0|0
    0|0
  • I would turn myself in to the authorities.

0|0
    0|1
  • Keep quite lol I’m not going to jail

0|1
    0|0
  • I’d tune myself in because that’s just awful

0|0
    0|1
  • This isn't "How To Get Away With Murder."

0|0
    0|0
    • I would hope not, because the characters on that show do a shit job of it.

• I couldn't live with that.

0|0
    0|1
  • I’m keeping quiet since im not ready for jail yet.

0|0
    0|0
  • It was an accident. If l keep quiet then l will be blamed for it. I would tell it.

0|0
    0|1
  • I honestly don't know. I know the guilt would eat at me though.

0|0
    0|0
    • Actually I think I probably would. I know the family would want justice and isn't that only fair? How could I live with myself for the rest of my life without integrity otherwise...

• Plus in the initial moments of the incident my first reaction would be to call for help and try and save the person! So yeah

• Definitely wouldn’t turn myself in even if guilt got the worst of me id rather kill myself than go to prison

0|1
    0|0
  • If it was an accident and I didn't intend to kill them, I would rather be honest about it then it be found out years later

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes