What “clique” or group were you in in high school, and how did it effect your ability to make friends in college?

I’ve noticed with a lot of the kids who were popular in high school, they have a very hard time making friends in college because they are so used to friends just coming to them. What do you think? And what’s your experience?
  • Popular
    Vote A
  • Band Geeks
    Vote B
  • Outcasts
    Vote C
  • The loner
    Vote D
  • Goth/Emo
    Vote E
  • Jocks
    Vote F
  • Other
    Vote G
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• In high school, I was sorta the loner/goth
    In college, I was sorta the loner/goth
    Nowadays, I'm sorta the loner/goth

2|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• I was friend with nearly everyone to be honest so I don't really know. I was friend with the popular girls and guys, the geek / otaku but I generally stayed with my best friend who was a slacker XD

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 34

• Mainly got along with all groups. Some better then others. College no group really. I guess I'm just antisocial outcast now.

1|0
    0|0
  • I bounced around and had 3 distinct groups of friends; 1 group was based on the neighborhood I lived in a growing up in it, the other was based on skateboarding and music-tastes, the other was sports and I bounced around. I had friends that didn’t like or respect other friends in other groups but they respected me enough to get over it, and shut up about it, so this general attitude helped me out later in life

0|0
    0|0
  • My circle changed I think... I began as friends with other gamers/anime lovers and slowly became part of the nerds because I was really smart and they started asking me for help. It didn't affect my ability of make friends in college because I was never good at it. People came to me and I am too shy to approach others. In college I joined a research group/club and we all work together and required communication, which is how I made friends. However I don't really have friends outside of it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Generally speaking I bounced around a few groups, jocks, populars and what I'd consider just your average students, but other people at the school generally thought of me as a jock.

1|0
    0|0
  • We had no "cliques" in high school.
    My circle of friends included a hot playboy, a loner guy who watched anime, a perpetually stoned jazz guy, that guy who likes beer, concerts and videogames, that guy who constantly licked his fingers to fix his hair, a cool but "easy" girl, a goth girl, a village girl who listened to her mp3 all day, a teen mother who dropped out in 3rd grade, a popular blonde chick and an unkempt tomboy girl who didn't give shit about anything.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was definitely a blend of Outcast/Loner in highschool, and that ended up being the case in college. I have always been quite popular though. I was the outcast everybody liked.

1|0
    0|0
  • the ones who played pc games

I dont got too many friends in college cause I'm a commuter student focusing more on schoolwork.

If I was a resident student I'd for sure have friends by now, maybe even a cool girlfriend

but schoolwork is more important than cool friends

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol... I always thought the cliques were; the ntellectuals, the sporties and the smokers. I was what we call in the UK (like the TV show) an inbetweener in that I was clever (but not an intellectual), I was sporty (but at an all boys school so never got onto a team), and not bad enough to be a smoker... therefore I was a loner :(

0|0
    0|0
  • I have no idea what I really was honestly. I got along with every social group except the preppy rich kids. I didn't talk unless spoken to and everyone thought I had a good sense of humor when I did talk and found me easy to get along with. Never went to college but as I've changed jobs not really any difference same thing when getting along with everyone

0|0
    0|0
  • I had no friends in high school really. That changed during college when I was hanging with the popular kids, the jocks, cheerleaders, rich kids, etc., but I actually never felt more alone than being among those people.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was in the JROTC crowd , a bit of a loaner and kept to myself mostly

1|0
    0|0
  • I was in an advanced program for all my classes, so I guess the nerds. I went to college but dropped out during my 2nd year because I didn't know what I wanted to do

0|0
    0|0
  • Picked "Outcasts". I wasn't quite a loner because I had 2 or 3 friends. I wasn't in band but was in the choir.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was mostly a loner but the only groups I fit in were the ones that gad most of my friends from middle school.

0|0
    0|0
  • I made friends on all levels both in high school and college. I fit in all puzzles.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't really fit into any of these. I went from being a shy loner in middle school to being friends with literally everyone in high school. The best compliment I have ever gotten was from one of my classmates during our graduation when she mentioned how I had been absent a lot our last year: "We didn't realize how important you were to the class until you weren't here". And I think the reason I was able to be friends with everybody was because I didn't really have a "clique" or a group I fell into, I kinda just went with the flow. I joked around, I was the one the class relied on to stand up to the teacher, and I never cared about how my classmates saw me. I even got along well with the teachers despite being a trouble-maker and always driving them insane.

0|1
    0|0
  • I was getting hated/bullied by everyone including teachers person

0|0
    0|0
  • I was the loner in school and bullied by other students.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was the drifter. I had a few friends in every group but didn't really belong to any of them.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think there were cliques as people understand them when I was in high school.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 20

• I was in all the clicks, I made the popular look like loners. They use to say I took popular to a whole new level. It's always been easy for me to make friends still is. I gave to sometimes try to pull it back for a few friends that struggle making friends, they'll be friends with someone then introduce me and next thing there friends are calling and preferring me. They get jealous.

0|0
    0|0
  • My sister was a year above me and she was really popular.. I was kinda just there and everyone knew me as her sister -_- pretty much a loner when I wasn't around my sister. Had a few friends who were considered the loners, nerds, and weirdos.. I was pretty much one of them but with a popular sister

0|0
    0|0
  • Nerdy/Outcast since I was Bi. I know schools accept it much more now. But when I was in school a lot of girls were worried to be my friend cause they thought I might come onto them

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess if you labeled me I was a loner. However, I talked to everyone, but I kept my distance.

I moved around quite a bit, and I hated drama, so I was on the basketball team, soccer, and Lacrosse team, so I probably should've been with the "Jocks/popular" kids, but I always chose to eat alone and alone. However, in class I would socialize to them and be polite.

My Headmasters and teachers all loved me because there was nothing wrong with me.

However, my peers never could figure me out. I would be nice to them and friendly, yet I didn't want to be too close.

I just figured out early on you don't want to get too close to people you work with in a sense. Then Drama occurs. I made my friends outside of school. Like in my dance classes, and art classes.

I know I am weird, but I was always respected, so no complaints. It's all I can ask for.

0|1
    0|0
  • You forgot the druggies. :/ almost all my friends are druggies and I get pawned off as a druggie by association. Even though I'm not

0|0
    0|0
  • I waltzed through all groups, never limited myself. Never struggled to make friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hmm... I don't really know where I would say I fit. In high school, I had a really tight group of friends, and we were together very much on the outskirts of the social circles, but not outcasts. We weren't band geeks, we weren't the artsy group, we weren't anything in particular other than the five quiet smart girls that a lot of people just overlooked.
    In college, well, it's pretty much the same thing except that I don't have the tight group of friends here. I have my roommate who I'm really close to and a couple other people that I talk to occasionally.

0|0
    0|0
  • Popular and I have a good time in college too, have a few very good friends.

1|0
    1|0
  • Anyone else been homeschooled in highschool? I was the rebel hahahah

0|0
    0|0
  • Popular with boys. I have a lot of guy friends. They see me as “one of the boys”

0|0
    0|0
  • When I was able to share classes or time with my few nerdy friends, I guess we were a group of outcasts. Otherwise, my time was often spent alone. I was always shy and quiet from a very young age, I felt that played into being judged or bullied in primary school. By the time high school rolled around, I pretty much just avoided people I did not well, or those who were not particularly friendly. In my second year of college now. I get along with people well enough to function, but have no friends lol. I've learned it is probably best to not get super attached to people here anyway. A lot of students tend to end up withdrawing, or drop courses, and then I never see them again. ʅ (´⊙౪⊙`) ʃ

0|0
    0|0
  • The loner definitely

0|0
    0|0
  • Nerd~

0|0
    0|0
  • i fluttered between groups of average types

0|1
    0|0
  • Between popular and I hang out with jocks

0|0
    0|0
  • I was more the outcast loner type.

0|0
    0|0
  • Somehow I’m popular, but also a loner. Lol I don’t like anyone at my school. I’m scared for college cuz I’m so damn shy

0|0
    0|0
  • My click was a series of headphones and the on and off button to my music. Books if I got tired of them. So I was a loner, but not because I'm ugly or something dumb like in movies. I respect people I just hate them all in one place. Everyone always wanted to hang out with me but I rather go home or something.

0|0
    0|0
  • Popular

0|0
    0|0
  • my group was the group that no one liked because we always spoke our opinion

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes