Will wood last covered tightly with a tarp and in a carport?

I plan to build my own off-the-grid, tiny log cabin in about 12 to 15 months (After saving up my money for the matural). I was told to buy it alittle at a time till I get everything I need and just storght it wrapped up in a tarp under a carport. This is the tiny log cabin that I will be building.

I am worried about the wood drying out and changing colors?Will wood last covered tightly with a tarp and in a carport?

47

Most Helpful Girl

• It could get damp and warp, it could get warped in heat... Could freeze and damage, could change colour in the sun (even if covered) It could get stolen! Could get rotten... Wood is fine being stored under tarp if you're gonna burn it but I think a storage container would be much wiser. Here you can get dry, sealed shipping containers for rent for about £20-£100/month. You wouldn't need a large one but I think it would be much wiser than leaving the key materials for your build semi exposed to the elements.

• That is a great idea. If I buy it in advance I will diffently get a container to store it in. Based on my best estimation I am going to need about 300-400 items and that is just the building material.

• That is cool. Please follow me so I can message you.

• Done... 😊

Most Helpful Guy

• I think part of it depends on your location and the climate you have there. Down where I live, wood warps pretty drastically just from the crazy humidity. Unless you store it in a climate controlled room, it’s pretty much impossible to avoid. My dad is pretty big into woodworking, and even wood stored in the garage gets warped over time. (Shopping at the local stores is hard due to that.) I can only assume a tarp wouldn’t be any better than a garage. Depending how exposed the wood is to the elements, it could even rot/have bugs get into it.

That being said, I’m sure there is a form of sealant you could coat/paint your wood with to avoid it becoming warped/rotten

• After getting all the answers I have decided to just save my money and order all my matural at the same time that way it only setting around about 1-2 months as I use it.

• After getting all the answers I got I have decided to hold off on buying anything till I have the money to buy all the material at one time and when we are ready to start the building. That way the wood will only be laying around about 60-90 days as we use it.