Will wood last covered tightly with a tarp and in a carport?

I plan to build my own off-the-grid, tiny log cabin in about 12 to 15 months (After saving up my money for the matural). I was told to buy it alittle at a time till I get everything I need and just storght it wrapped up in a tarp under a carport. This is the tiny log cabin that I will be building.

I am worried about the wood drying out and changing colors?Will wood last covered tightly with a tarp and in a carport?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It could get damp and warp, it could get warped in heat... Could freeze and damage, could change colour in the sun (even if covered) It could get stolen! Could get rotten... Wood is fine being stored under tarp if you're gonna burn it but I think a storage container would be much wiser. Here you can get dry, sealed shipping containers for rent for about £20-£100/month. You wouldn't need a large one but I think it would be much wiser than leaving the key materials for your build semi exposed to the elements.

0|1
    0|0
    • That is a great idea. If I buy it in advance I will diffently get a container to store it in. Based on my best estimation I am going to need about 300-400 items and that is just the building material.

• Show All
    • That is cool. Please follow me so I can message you.

• Done... 😊

Most Helpful Guy

• I think part of it depends on your location and the climate you have there. Down where I live, wood warps pretty drastically just from the crazy humidity. Unless you store it in a climate controlled room, it’s pretty much impossible to avoid. My dad is pretty big into woodworking, and even wood stored in the garage gets warped over time. (Shopping at the local stores is hard due to that.) I can only assume a tarp wouldn’t be any better than a garage. Depending how exposed the wood is to the elements, it could even rot/have bugs get into it.

That being said, I’m sure there is a form of sealant you could coat/paint your wood with to avoid it becoming warped/rotten

1|0
    0|0
    • After getting all the answers I have decided to just save my money and order all my matural at the same time that way it only setting around about 1-2 months as I use it.

• After getting all the answers I got I have decided to hold off on buying anything till I have the money to buy all the material at one time and when we are ready to start the building. That way the wood will only be laying around about 60-90 days as we use it.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• I don’t really understand why it would make a difference to buy a little at a time vs buying it all at once - the end price is still roughly the same unless you managed to get it ALL on sale.
    It depends on the timber you use, some change colours significantly as they age and others happen shortly after they’re cut. I’d check with where you’re buying your timber, and whether or not they treat it or leave it natural

0|0
    0|0
    • It won't change the price any my stepdad was just saying that I should but it as get the money for it although I thought as a woodworker that it would be best to buy it all at once so it is all around the same age.

• Show All
    • The main store I will be getting the logs, post and purch railing from don't although I will be getting common building material from HomeDepot and they do have gift cards.

• I do have trouble saving money mostly from my parents borrowing it and not paying it back. In this case I just save. Thanks for your answer. All the answers here are good answes and advice. I thanks it will just be adding more work to a already somewhat of a major project so I may just wait and order everything at one time.

• Yes it will

0|0
    0|0
    • You mean "Yea, It will last. " or "Yea, It will change the colorering."

• Show All
    • It will last

• Thanks for your answer. All the answers here are good answes and advice. I thanks it will just be adding more work to a already somewhat of a major project so I may just wait and order everything at one time.

• Only if it's pressure treated, and/or not laying down.

0|2
    0|0
    • After getting all the answers I got I have decided to hold off on buying anything till I have the money to buy everything I need and we are ready to start building the cabin. That way the wood will only be laying around about 60 to 90 days.

What Guys Said 6

• Keep it wrapped and off the ground. Make sure that you have the entire bottom supported. Not just each end, unless you like curved wood. Use pallets under it. Also once a month uncover it and let it breath and give the tarp a chance to dry out.

0|1
    0|0
    • Thanks you for the great answer and advice.

• Thanks for your answer. All the answers here are good answes and advice. I thanks it will just be adding more work to a already somewhat of a major project so I may just wait and order everything at one time.

• Your going to have to paint it every year anyway. Even if your just using creasoat.

It will last just fine but would changes over the years. It's part of the train people like wood.

0|1
    0|0

• Show All
    • If the wood changed that quickly it would all even out over a year or so anyway

• Okay. The tiny house I will be building is 25'x27' (1,092 square feet) although it is the biggest project that I have ever attempted. I have ways wanted me a nice cabin and 5 acres to farm. My mom just told me about 2 weeks ago that if I did not move to West Virginia (about 800 miles away) she would give me 1/2 an acre to build a small cabin on.

• It will last but just remember to turn after 4 weeks as it can start to bow and bend. Nothing worse then working with bent wood

1|0
    0|0

• If ur a confident person, ask for bulk order discount or look online at wholesalers or timber suppliers, get it cheaper and of good quality too

• I will do that.

• the wood would need to be treated. even if it is covered by a tarp the changes in temperature and humidity would invariable cause the wood to warp and suffer damage

0|0
    0|0
    • After getting all the answers I got I have decided to hold off on buying anything till I have the money to buy everything I need and we are ready to start building the cabin. That way the wood will only be laying around about 60 to 90 days.

• Wood needs air if it’s going to last, keep it under the carport but don’t wrap it up
    Sun is the biggest factor in discolouration so if it’s covered you should be fine

0|0
    0|0
  • No because the tarp won't last.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes