Do you take criticism to heart?

for me i accept criticism but it's to a certain extent. I sometimes really hate it when someone keeps pointing out your mistakes in a way of tearing you down instead of encouraging you to do better. For example, i write and draw and love my efforts but had some people coming up to me and say shit like "IT COULD BE BETTER I DON'T LIKE YOUR STYLE IT'S SO BAD I LIKE XYZ ART/WRITING" and i do take it personally sometimes. I think everyone has their own aesthetic and if someone doesn't like mine then ok good for you but i don't think it's fair to give negative comments just because my style isn't for them

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• theeeeeeeen they are not to blame... you are. you just care too much about what they say and not used to a come back line or just ignoring it. trust me been drawing all my life and get shit like, that looks like this person, oh the head is bigger than her body, oh she look cute but itd be better if you... and the fuck is that? dont like it you can do better.
    I just look at them and say aight, cool. i was drawing you but guess your saying your head too big, and youd look better if i put this and this and this.
    So i dont take it to heart I just dont care anymore.

0|1
    0|0
    • Lmao i don't, i'm a complete bitch sometimes tbh but when it comes to someone shitting on your work when you didn't even ask for it then i do think that i have the right to feel whatever. But i guess so yeah

• Show All
    • I dont know you handle it but id feel like they crossed the line there. talk shit about drawings. but stealing my shit, they're starting the year off on a bad foot.

• well this one person i know did like my drawings and the next day boom i saw her using the exact same style and people were liking it and didn't credit smh. So annoying. I called her out ofc and she felt bad so its all cool. It pissed me off so much tho

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends who it comes from, abd if it's constructive or not. I ignore random unasked critics unless they're constructive and might help me improve myself

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 44

• What you're looking for is constructive feedback. If they have something negative to say, they should follow up with advice on what you could do better. If they can't define how to improve something they find lacking, then their opinion isn't worth much.

1|1
    0|0
  • I don't take criticism very well at all, because my narcissistic ass thinks I'm right most of the time haha. I do listen if what the person's saying is logical and is clearly superior than whatever I had going on though. Other than that I tell people to fuck off haha.

1|0
    0|0
  • Art is 100% subjective to the viewer, for every person who doesn't like what you do there's at least one that will love it.

In my opinion having someone dislike my own specific style of art of writing tells me I'm staying outside the norm.

The most remarkable artists and intelligent minds to date were met with harsh criticism before they became loved as they are today.

Keep being different and doing what you love. Take the criticism and listen to suggestions for improvement but never compromise your own style and individuality to make someone else happy.

0|1
    0|0
    • Show All
    • I guess so. But i appreciate your advice

• No problem!

• You're right. Critizing is actually to look at someone's weakness and suggest to make it better and not showing you that you have weaknesses. If someone tells you you are bad or not good enough for something or you don't fit because they just have a problem with that you shouldn't take this seriously because it's childish and unnecessary and not criticism

1|1
    0|0
  • If you have self esteem issue. Criticism is no good for you. But considering "criticism" itself is just another person's observation and opinion.

0|1
    0|0
    • not really. i couldn't care less what people think of me. But i find it unnecessary when people shit on your work when you didn't ask for it that's my point lol

• πŸ˜… it would bother obviously because it's someone else opinion right/wrong and they use it to shit others

• I agree with your thoughts. It all depends really on if you asked for critisism and or opinion on the matter, also their demeanor... Did it sound or seem like an attack on your accomplishments? Disrespect is what it is and I don't think you should tolerate it and nor do i

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't like criticism very much - but I also don't criticize others much. I'm generally the type of person who needs a lot of harmony. I really hate conflict and confrontation.
    So, I can take criticism fine when it is delivered in a very light-hearted, kind way and that's also how I deliver my criticism in the rare occasions that I do criticize. However, as soon as it becomes too serious, I tend to shut down a bit. A lot of situations that just feel mildly confrontational to some people feel very aggressive and hostile to me and I can't take that.

1|1
    0|0
  • In my case I think it comes down to constructive criticism as opposed to ranting. A rant leaves me more entertained than reflected, while a constructive breakdown of positives and negatives is something I value greatly.

1|1
    0|0
  • it really depends who is levying the criticism and what the criticism is specifically. if there is merit to the criticism then i generally do take it to heart

0|0
    0|0
  • We are all human beings that's the way we are programed. Pug in the mirror know your self-worth and say screw the world not an a****** way but people are expressing how they feel and I can come off negatives only if you allow it know your worth if you love what you do then no one else should ever bother you

0|0
    0|0
  • It's really about those who encourage you and point out possibilities to bettering yourself in that specific area. If someone criticises you work without saying, yeah you could do this and that to make it better, then it isn't constructive but just plain hating. If you encounter those types of people stay away from them. All they would do is to try and tear you down.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I don't you should never let someone else's opinion of you change the way you see yourself cause at the end of the day the only opinion that really matters is yours!

1|0
    0|0
  • There are two types of criticism.
    1. Constructive criticism
    2. Not constructive criticism
    I highly appreciate the first one, and simply ignore the second one.

1|0
    0|0
  • I try my best not to take it to heart but we are only human so it does hurt still. I say write how you like and hope they accept those flaws.

0|0
    0|0
  • I take it personally because I'm a weak willed individual. Unless it's something that I can't really do anything about then I just brush it off.

0|0
    0|0
    • You are not correct. Just because different peoe have different styles doesn't mean that yours is right. If you have mistakes in your writing that doesn't mean that it's just your style. Learn to take critcism or you won't be able to fix mistakes.

Theoretically what if other people think the same thing as that other person. Do you really want to put that writing out with mistakes that bad to save your pride?

Teavhers have told me about grad school. They rip you apart so you can build yourself up stronger. If you can't except that you made a mistake then you'll always make those same mistakes.

• Show All
    • Maybe I did jump to a conclusion. It's not the first time I've heard people who are critized say they just don't like my type of work so the critcism isn't constructive.

• I don't think so. Every style is good in their own way, there's no right or wrong and yeah i'm guessing you are but that's ok

• I take it personally. I take too many things seriously, and personally. I'm very sensitive, and have had many years of sorrow.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the source of the criticism. If it comes from someone I trust and respect, I take it to heart.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I do. I dwell on it and try to fix it. Shitty childhood made me this way

0|0
    0|0
  • I always consider criticism. I am licky in that if I get criticised, it always has a good basis.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes I do. Over time, we tend to grow "thicker skin". If people are negative just cause they don't like your style, they can go home.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 27

• It depends on how it's delivered, and whether or not it's opinion based.

I'll be much more open to it "this is what most folks like" than "this is what I like". Most folks aren't able to be objective and appreciate something for what it is when they don't like the subject or the content.

Art isn't something that you can actually teach, because you can only teach your own style; true art, good art, is extremely personal.

0|0
    0|0
    • **Techniques for creating art aren't art themselves, so teaching those isn't the same as teaching art.

• you can't tell people to give comments at your liking. it's not gonna happen to be honest. people will always have something to say.

just be optimistic. try see good things on every negative remarks of others. don't take anything to heart. let your brain do the thinking. let them criticize and do ur part to improve and be successful on whatever u do 😘

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't always expect good feedback, but the ones i don't appreciate the ones are those that are unneeded. The ones i didn't even ask for or just purposely want to shit on you to make you feel like your effort is unworthy

• Show All
    • i agree, thank you

• 😘😘😘

• If it’s constructive criticism, I accept it because it makes me and what I’m doing better but if you’re criticizing me for something stupid, I’ll get offended or just leave.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes time to times I do take criticism by heart, but there are also times that I don't. So I guess it just depends on the situation and what you are getting criticized about.
    P. S. can we be buddies? I also like to draw.

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't mind any kind of criticism as long as people don't use it to purposely tear me down or when i didn't ask for it. And sure! what do you like to draw?

• Show All
    • Don't worry. Everyone feels that way.

• thats good i suppose

• Just think of it as constructive criticism but also try not to take it to heart because everyone is different! Just do you girl!

1|0
    0|0
  • Most of the time I just brush off the hateful things, but sometimes I focus way too muvh on what other people say.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm Juliet 29yrs I look for a lovely and caring man that is add working and ready for a long term relationship that leads to marriage and a man that will always take good care of me and treat me like a queen if you are interested text me 5014432875

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes. I used to really take it to heart tho. I am still working on building myself and my self esteem up.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends if they're being objective or are just trying to tear me down and confront me with every single detail they don't like about what I'm doing

0|0
    0|0
  • Used to but I had to force myself to use is as a turning point and improve but ngl if people keep attacking something it will go to heart and I'll just end up lasting at them...

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Everytime. Sometimes i try to shrug it off by being sarcastic. But I take it to heart and can't help it tbh.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's hard for me to not take criticism personally. It normally takes me a couple of days to put it into a constructive perspective

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends if it sounds like they're insulting me or not

0|0
    0|0
  • I am ridiculously sensitive and take everything to heart

0|0
    0|0
  • I take it badly, it just makes me doubt myself really bad

0|0
    0|0
  • Obviously, criticism is not always beneficial for everyone. There are many people who want to live their own life

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a cancer so sometimes
    Other times in doesn't brother me that much

0|0
    0|0
  • Kinda, as long as it's constructive

1|0
    0|0
  • Hmm sometimes no sometimes yes.. depends

1|2
    1|0