Why do soldiers and police officers have to shave their head bald?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• They don’t have to shave it. But there are many reasons for short hair. Most of them can be summarized by the fact that long hair gets in the way. Other than that it looks neater, is easier to take care of when in the field, and gives the group more uniformity. In Boot camp it is also symbolic. One of the first things they do is give everyone a buzz cut as a way of saying “who you used to be doesn’t matter, now you are a recruit. Not an individual, but part of a team.”

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

What Guys Said 10

• It makes no sense at all for police. They have to shave their head in the academy and run 1 1/2 miles, but as soon as they are done they can grow it longer and can gain 100 pounds of fat.
    So there was no point in having those requirements to start with if they aren't continuous requirements.

0|0
    0|0
  • because hair gets in the way of their hats and fighting crime

0|1
    0|0
  • For soldiers, I imagine it would mostly be hygiene. You're in close proximity to a lot of people for a while and it is less likely to have lice and other stuff spread.
    It can also help with unity.

0|0
    0|0
    • what about when they are on the battlefield fighting

• uniformity
      gets in the way
      helps to lessen the ego to break them into being a team as opposed to an individual

• They dont they just need short hair. It's so when they get in an altercation someone can't grab there hair.

0|1
    0|0
  • you dont want your hair yanked on in the heat of battle do ya. Plus it looks more professional.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lots of reasons. In combat, I imagine long hair would be a disadvantage no matter what.

0|0
    0|0
  • Military makes sense, because it's a part of the breakdown process. For police I have no idea

0|0
    0|0
  • What are they gonna do, leave a little bit round the sides? That doesn't look cool.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's clean, simple, and uniform.

0|2
    0|0
  • Lice

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes