On a scale of 1-10, how comfortable are you around the opposite sex?

I'm talking more in a general setting with guys/girls you don't know. Like the cashier in the checkout line. I am probably the most awkward person I know around guys, even after I've gotten to know you a bit lol.
  • 0-3 super comfortable
    Vote A
  • 4-6 so so
    Vote B
  • 7-10 get me outta here!
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Yes guys, the voting scale is probably opposite of what you're used to. I'm numerically dyslexic AF, sue me! Just slow down and read the darn thing before voting! 🤦🏾‍♀️

1|3

Most Helpful Guys

• I suppose it partly depends on who they are. I'm not terrified of a waitress, or a clerk... I can talk to them. Of course, if they're attractive, that changes (to a point). If they're attractive, it's a bit different.

I have to still put on some small act, though. I can't say stuff the same way (not that what I say is bad). But like I can talk about who I'm interested in with most guy pals. I'm not telling too many girls about any of that. I have to sound cool or be interesting. prove value, more than with guys (still have to do that sometimes, but less so).

1|0
    0|0
  • I love being around women more than men because I feel a lot more relaxed around them, plus they are more expressive and friendly from my experience anyways. This probably explains why I have a lot more girl friends than guy friends which I'm not sure if this is something to be proud of 😂 I know a lot of people will say gender shouldn't matter but I feel more like myself around women who aren't afraid to open up to personal conversations and are usually very thoughtful as well :)

For a scale rating, I would put a 0 for very comfortable around women! A 7 for guys because they make me feel tense at times :(

5|2
    0|0
    • That's great that you feel wo at ease around women

• Show All
    • @SleuthOnehundredOne Wrong topic for what I just said! I just feel more comfortable around women that's all. Its not to say I have a few guy friends but I just prefer hanging out with women more :)

Most Helpful Girls

• I love being around people! I don't view people so much in genders to be honest. I view them as people, interesting at that.
    I don't care if I'm the only woman in a room of men; it doesn't scare me, doesn't affect me. Same with women.

What I do notice is the general difference in approach and discussions. Body language. Women's discussions/judgments are more based on a personal level (feeling/approach/looks/behavior), men are more focused on subject/project level (tactics/tips'n'tricks/progress/goal).

1|0
    0|0
  • I’ve never really been awkward with other people, except perhaps with the (lady) clerk at Ardene where they were having a bikini sale and I loudly complained that they wouldn’t have any tops that would fit me. She said they would. Spoiler alert: they didn’t.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 154

• okay, so your scale goes the opposite direction of how i would place it, but i'll stick with how you presented it in the poll...

if she doesn't initiate contact 6-7...
    if she does initiate contact 2-4...
    if someone else introduces us 8-10 unless she seems really interested in talking...

i don't get nervous, i just don't like talking to women i don't know because of the percentage of women that are rude as fuck...

1|0
    0|0
    • Lol ok so I know the scale is backwards. Numbers and I don't get along the way they do with everyone else ok? That aside, it seems unless she initiates contact herself, you're not very comfortable

• correct... i don't have the energy to sit and guess if someone is going to react as if i am an annoyance or creep... unless i have a good reason to talk to a woman, i'ld rather not... the funny thing is that most of my friends are women, and i tend to get along with them better than men once the ice is broken...

• Makes sense.

• It depends upon the woman in context,
    I am super comfortable with my family and G. F
    but I will be comfortable with some new girl and woman of my ethnicity.
    There are woman of other races that scare me and particularly the white ones (sorry if you are white)

1|0
    0|0
    • Lol do I look white?

• Show All
    • Yep but "I was feeling lonely is fucking ridiculous" and whenever you will ask any white woman, its always the man fault. I cheat cuz he made me do it but in reality "you did it cuz you are fucking whore" and now 80% of them complain about guys not willing to marry and 50% divorce ratio.

• Well watch this and I personally know this family, you will understand why I am behaving like this.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4HSiDzH3yg

• It varies. With someone im in a platonic friendship with: 8. Someone I find attractive but dont know: 0.
    Its a little different now that im in a relationship because even though i find other women attractive, i know that im not pursuing them so my confidence stays higher

1|0
    0|0
  • I feel more at ease than I did before but I still don’t feel completely comfortable around woman or people in general I need more exposure. Years of bad habits and thinking take a long time to untangle.

1|0
    0|0
  • Females where mostly none players in my life, at least after high school. And that's not because of deliberate choice. It was purely situational. Everywhere I go, I'm almost exclusively surrounded by men. Although these days it's far more mixed being in academic circles. Having said that, there is still a huge gender gap in my field.

Therefor, I tend to relate a lot better to men a lot better. They are also far more likely to share similar interests with me than a female. So therefor holding a conversation is a lot more natural with males then females. So in that respect, I would say males.

On the other hand, females are probably easier to "small talk" with. For example, whenever my family through's a dinner party, the men and female eventually segregate (naturally) into small groups. The men tend to talk about politics, careers, world news and so on. Whereas the females can spend hours gossiping.

The difference in conversation topics is stunningly apparent. And that's not just in my families dinner parties, but wherever I go. Be it fancy international conferences/events or my work colleagues who are far more mixed (gender wise) these days.

So at the end it comes down to familiarity. People are more comfortable with what they are familiar with. My perception (whether right or wrong) men are far more reliable with long term friendships. Perhaps it's the way we evolved as a hunter gatherer species. Men needed to cooperate to to hunt game, explore new territories to colonise and advert threats (mostly other groups of men sadly).

I have met few females that do share the same interests/values with me, and I treat them as equals. Therefore, principally it's not a gender issue. But far more men tend to be more interested in the things I like than women.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm normally as comfortable around the opposite sex as I am around the same sex. I act awkward around a crush, but doesn't everyone? Some would still class me as awkward around people in general regardless of sex, seeing as I'm no connoisseur in small talk. I usually end up sitting silently while others talk about meaningless points of discussion.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not really relevant to distinguish a comfortability w specific gender because humans are very unique and each individual male or female could equally potentially evoke a very high level or low level of comfortability

1|0
    0|0
    • While this is true, I feel like some people generally are just more or less comfortable or uncomfortable around specific gender

• Well I wouldn't let most guy just give me head, but I'd let most girls do that,. So I see ur point in this way

• The scale seems backwards, but okay.

I'd much rather be in the presence of the opposite gender; I'm much happier in cooperation than competition.

1|0
    0|0
    • Re: Update
      Just remember that the numbers usually represent intensity, lower numbers tend to be less intense, and higher numbers tend to be more intense

• Yeah once the first person brought it to my attention I realized that it made sense for the least of to be the low numbers and the most of to be with the higher numbers lol. But thanks, I'll keep this in mind.

• I most def put a 2.. I'm mostly comfortable around girls, because I can talk and banter wit them much more than I can guys.. Girls can be some of the most fun people really..

1|0
    0|0
  • I have 2 answers for this. In a general sense I'm very comfortable. Having conversation and entertaining. When it comes to my feelings and trying to Express them freely it's where I get uncomfortable.

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 72

• shit, well thanks for the heads up man. I read that last bit AFTER I voted. Anyways, meant to say really uncomfortable. I may just be alone for the rest of my life unless I lose 20 pounds.

1|0
    0|0
    • Malarkey. You'll lose the 20 pounds and guys will still be weird lol. Besides, I thought you were dating someone?

• yep, I have many imaginary boyfriends. I can introduce you.

• Oh me too. My invisible boyfriend is shy tho. He doesn't like to be seen.

• Wow that was opposite, usually the worst is at the lower part of the scale and the best is higher such as 10. Me, I'm very comfortable around all people regardless of Gender.

1|0
    0|0
  • i only lose confidence if he's hot 😅 bc i naturally blush, and bc i blush i just feel like hiding my face but i have to talk to him and i become flustered blablahblah but if not im totally cool. i just wish to stop blushing so much so easily zz

1|0
    0|0
  • I've always been much more comfortable around guys than girls. They are straightforward and usually easy to please. Most of the time the accept and like me just as I am and there's no competition.

1|1
    0|0
  • I'd say 0. I mean, I grew up with four brothers, had a lot of guy friends growing up, had lots of positive male role models throughout my life... I'm just fine interacting with random men.

1|0
    0|0
  • More so Here, dear, Than any Bratty and Catty Girls. xx

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends if I am attracted to him and if I can act normal around him. Or if I am wondering if he's into me or giving me special attention which is usually always in my head. If he's gay or not my type I can always be 100% normal.

1|0
    0|0
  • As long as it's a situation like talking to a cashier or any other type of service it doesn't make any difference to me if that's someone of the opposite gender or not. But in any other setting, even if I just met a strander guy at the street or a colleague at work I'm not familiar with yet I kind of get the fight or flee response in my brain 🙈 adrenaline rush, feeling super uncomfortable etc. I do not have the slightest idea why especially because most of my friends are guys 😐

1|0
    0|0
  • I feel confortable around women, probably due my professional atmosphere and own family the majority are women.

When it comes to guys I feel confortable around friendly, respectful guys.
    Guys who stare, speak quickly and try to be a hunter are just not my confort place and I find them pretty disrespectful.

1|0
    0|0
  • Men make me extremely nervous, but there are reasons for that. I’d rather spend time alone honestly.

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes