Why Do Some Mentally ill People Have A Special Look in Their Eyes?

I've noticed that some mentally ill people have special facial expressions and eyes. So it's not only people in movies, comics and TV-series that has that stereotypical look. Some criminals like terrorists, school shooters, serial-killers etc. do have this look. They often looks confused, have dilated or constricted pupils, a special smile and so on. I'm not saying every mentally ill people have this look. Most don't, but some do. #MentalIllness #Looks #FacialExpression
I can't use a real picture of a real person since I've to respect people's privacy. Therefor I used a cartoon character. Hope you gets the point!
I can't use a real picture of a real person since I've to respect people's privacy. Therefor I used a cartoon character. Hope you gets the point!

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• It's called expressions. They show what people feel. So it sort of is self explanatory that someone mentally ill most often than not cannot school or portray their features or hide using them.
    That's sort of like asking why some happy people smile.

0|0
    0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• I'm not an expert on psychology, but it could be because they have a different way of looking at the world. The reason they're mentally ill is basically because there's something wrong in their thinking. And it's our thoughts that show up as expressions on our faces. The "special" look in a mentally ill person's eyes could be a result of his ill thinking.

0|0
    0|0
  • That face is usually a mix of all emotions coursing theough them and their neural system is not wired in coordination with the rest of their bodies so sometimes they can't control their facial expressions and that's why they have that certain look on their face...

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 7

• Why do I feel like this is somehow glamourizing mental illness

1|0
    0|0
    • I'm not. I'm wondering on why some people have this look. If there's a scientific reason on that.

• might be overthinking it, my bad. But to answer your question, I think it’s a way of expressing what’s on their mind. Like if you were to be angry, it would show on your face giving off to other people that you’re angry.

The same goes for these people, when they show off that expression, it gives off that they’re about to do something psychotic

• That's because they are not okay. And they might be already thinking about what they are going to do next, who are they are going to hurt next and that makes them happy.
    Or they might simply not know that they have this look on their faces.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've noticed this as well. Like I can tell sometimes if someone is depressed or Borderline by their eyes. Maybe more perceptive people notice this? I don't know

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not about the mental state, but more about the drug taken I think.
    Some treatments can have these side effects and also some people are straight up junkies

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe because their brain don't work correctly. Like people who have Trisomy 21 have different face feature.

0|0
    0|0
  • I can’t say I’ve noticed it myself and I’ve know a few people suffering with depression or BPD etc. If someone gave me an uneasy feeling though I’d pay attention to that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Crazy eyes

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 9

• What you gotta understand is what we consider a normal person uses 10% or less brain capacity. When a person is mentally ill or on drugs the percentage of brain usage is enhanced. In that case, their experience of reality and our experience are very different. Hence why when you're on drugs for example others ask or assumes that you're "tripping". But really you are just experiencing shit that normal 10% brain don't let you experience

0|0
    1|1
  • They exist in another universe, a new world of reality to use. So you can see it when you look at them.

0|0
    0|0
  • It might be due to drugs, or the condition that person has.

Simples...

0|0
    0|0
  • That's how the brain function anyone could make those faces it's all in the head

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont think so

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes they do.. They laugh at your sane perception..

0|0
    0|0
  • The devil's spark in their eyes

0|0
    0|0
  • The crazy look.

0|0
    0|0
  • mental illness doesn't exist.

0|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes