Does economic status affect people's behavior? Just for example, are people more generous or arrogant if they have more money?

Does economic status affect people's behavior? Just for example, are people more generous or arrogant if they have more money?
  • Yes it affects their behavior
    Vote A
  • No it doesn't affect their behavior
    Vote B
  • Other
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|3

Most Helpful Guys

• This one is very simple to understand and at the same time trying to explain. Everything is circumstantial, it all depends on the person and how they grew up. And I'm not saying like if you grew up poor and I'll have money so you'll give money out or if you were born with money and you know you just have so much money that you think you can help others, no that's not the way it works. Have you ever thought to yourself man I really need some help right now if anyone could just spare such-and-such it would make my day or whatever, but only in moments of dire need. And then someone graciously helps you out when they themselves then have much to give those kind of moments shed light on a person especially when they make it big. However if someone is gone through something similar but they never got helped out and they had to grow up a hard life then they're going to be arrogant about it. And if you were born with a silver spoon and you were told that people have to learn what they need then you're also going to be pretty arrogant unless you have a kind soul and your goal is to help the world through your own means

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • The majority of people who invest so much time into finances or have a lot of money in general are more likely to be arrogant and selfishly focusing on their financial success and pride over thinking of people outside of themselves. They did the research; they feel like they've earned their money through hard work and making connections (or by pure luck) so why should they spend it on people who didn't help contribute to the cause? It's sad to say there are people who are influenced by greed; that there's never enough money to feel satisfied because there's always room for more control, more property and such. This is why you may notice that people who are poor can empathize the suffering of others who barely make enough to get by and want to help out as a result.

If you've grown up in a loving and caring family, you'll realize that money isn't everything; that having just enough to get by plus a little extra is all you really need in life. Because society has labeled money as a way to get what you want whether if it be via traveling, getting the car you always wanted, your own private place and such, some people will do ANYTHING to achieve that goal, even if it means inflicting harm onto others. I really do believe that the more money you make, the less empathic you'll likely be when you focus so much of your time on making money instead of bonding with people. This doesn't apply to everyone though; some people were raised by a loving family to know how to distribute money fairly through a balance of charity and personal income! It's just sad when we separate ourselves like this; that we all can't be one as a community and help everyone out.

3|2
    0|2
    • Show All
    • Lol. thank god money exists.
      Cut the happiness shit, they would be miserable.

• Like first two para though

Most Helpful Girls

• No of course not depends on the person. For example my grandparents are quite loaded yet they're all about helping and saving the planet, they dont dress expensive or throw it in anyones face, they donate TONS to charity they're are far from arrogant.

Also my brothers Wife owns a franchise of bakeries and gas stations in the Phillipines but they do not flaunt it yet again, If you met them youd just think theyre normal. Their family is very loving.

It honestly depends on the person, most of these votes are from people who dont know anyone who has money.

1|0
    0|0
    • 5d

My grandparents have gone as far to make sure when they pass a percentage of their will, will go to charity.

• Research shows that the poorest people in society give the highest percentage to charity.

Those who make $20 000 or less give around 11% of their income charity
    Those who make over $100 000 give around 6% of their income to charity

Those between $20 000 and $100 000 give the least out of any other group

3|1
    0|0
    • 5d

Thats quite strange as my grandparents have put in their will, a percentage of their money will go to charity, thats why I dont like statistics they seem to generalise an awful lot.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 40

• It definitely affects most peoples behaviour. They think they are elite and if raised rich, they usually feel entitled to have more. They judge people on how much money they make. If someone has a lamborghini and drives up next to someone with a box car, a lot of the time they think something along the lines of "I'm ahead of this person in life" or "I'm smarter than this person" or "We are a different class of people altogether because I was born with wealth." People even sometimes use it as an insult saying they earn more than you make all year in a week, or something like that. Some people only date people that get over a certain income. There's very few people that judge someone solely on their character. It's a pathetic world out there. Personally, even if I was rich, if I wanted to date someone I would not let then know that I was well off until we're either well into the relationship or getting married because then there's a good chance they could just be marrying me for my money. Also I never treat anyone differently no matter what their occupation is. If it's an engineer with 6 degrees, I will treat them the same as a janitor if they treat me the same.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes it affects most people's behavior. However the effect it has on each person is different. For example when some people are rich they become the scrooge type and they become cautious now that they've done so well. On the other hand some won't know what to do with their money so they spend it on whatever, while other will give what they have to charity. So... there's no blanket affect that applies to everyone, but I do think each person generally will behave differently in these instances.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have to say YES
    I've noticed people in poor countries are friendlier and happier even though they try to scam you, while people in rich countries like the Scandinavian ones are arrogant introverted assholes and greedy individualists.

3|0
    0|0
  • Yes. But not necessarily in an adverse way.
    Most of the (wealthier) people I've met were kind and generous and very very humble. And people from a struggling financial background were rather rude (when the fairy tales describe them as opposites).
    Then again I've met rich brats who're exceptionally ill-mannered and inconsiderate.
    I say it's more about the upbringing of a person.

1|0
    0|1
  • People with money can be both generous and not generous but arrogant? They have achieved financial success so it's obvious they are the higher level in the hierarchy.

It's their money and let people what they want to with their money not demoralizing them on how they use it because it's not your fucking business.

1|0
    0|0
  • I can't cite this information, but my ethics professor made a claim during class that stingy, wealthy folks were statistically the most generous in terms of charity donations. Again, I don't know the study, so I can't really back this up.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not exactly. The attitudes of some people can be shitty or awesome whether they had rich or broke parents, ended up becoming wealthy or went bankrupt. I've been around both and in-between. I don't believe that arrogance or generosity has much to do with any economical status though..

1|0
    0|0
  • Poor people are more generous and charitable because they don't spend a lot of effort to earn their money.

People who earn more money, are less likely to give them away because they worked considerably harder to earn them in the first place.

It's an easy come easy go situation.

0|0
    0|0
  • “If you want know the true character of a person, give him the power “

Money is just another form of power.

Yes, it does changes the person.
    The change can be good as well as bad.

3|0
    0|0
  • Generally yes wealthy people have a different attitude but it also depends on the kind of person they are

3|0
    0|1
  • Yes and No

For some people it might change them to be better or worst.

Others might not change them at all. They will remain the same.

1|0
    0|0
  • It could for sure. How much so I think just depends on the person. It would affect some a lot more than others.

1|0
    0|0
  • I have seen studies that show that rich people give a lower percentage of their income to charity than poor people.

2|0
    0|0
  • For materialistic people, yeah money has a negative affect most times.

1|0
    0|0
  • No it doesn't effect your behavior when you have money, when I started selling dope I made bank, and relized that people want to be around someone successful so they hung out with me

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes and no, so depends. Weak ones become more arrogant and impossible and others stay unaffected or more giving

1|0
    0|0
  • I think money does indeed change people, and how others interact with them. Just look at people who win the lottery.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it has a potential to affect behavior but don't think it's always the case

2|0
    0|0
  • I know many very wealthy people... Most of them are entitled assholes with zero personality or selflessness.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes if they are born in rich family then yes may be but if one achieves its own then not as they also seen poor life

1|0
    1|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 12

• Depends how they are raised but the majority of rich guys I’ve met are very stingy and arrogant

1|0
    0|0
  • I came into a huge amount of money a year ago. Didn’t really change my behavior at all. But I guess for some others, wealth can rewire the brain. But that just means they were always weak minded individuals.

2|1
    0|0
  • First, it depends on their personality. A person who lived in a wealthy environment and used to a special economics status won’t be arrogant. Because they used to it and it s not something new for them. And also they know that money doesn’t define or make the person.
    Despite of the persons who are arrogant, in my opinion, it’s just they try to hide the void they lived, or to compensate their complex or what they didn’t had.

1|0
    0|1
  • Yes it does affect it. Many few people with lots of money are actually generous. Most of them are too afraid of losing it since they've probably been through a lot to get it in the first place

1|0
    0|0
  • Its the opposite. Poor people are more generous than wealthy people. Wealthy people are in general more conceited less generous self righteous and less moral.

2|1
    0|0
  • People with fewer means use to be a lit more than generous sometimes. Its really ironic but rich people are very greedy

1|0
    0|0
  • No, it depends on the person and how they grew up. I think if you grew up in a luxurious lifestyle then you're more prone to be more arrogant and selfish with it and not being able to understand those who don't have money. If you grew up poor, and you happen to come upon millions of dollars of money, it's a 50/50 chance you may be generous or arrogant depending on who you are as a person. Although I am poor currently, I love giving gifts to people. I love seeing them smile when they get something just like I do when I get something. There's something about giving to other people that makes me happy like their life became just a little bit better, or they feel more appreciated.

1|0
    0|0
  • the ones who said no are probably rich and arrogant but dont know it lol

1|0
    0|0
  • It just brings out their true selves.

2|1
    0|0
  • Mostly it does affect.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I think it affects