How can I face my biggest fear?

I have a fear of being in the dark especially at night. I sleep with a lamp and tv on because I have an extreme fear of the darkness which is weird because I used to be able to sleep in the darkness when I was younger like around 16 but as I age it gets worse ☹️. Growing up with a big family I shared rooms with my sisters for about 15 years, we recently moved houses and I got my own room I love it but I dread it at night. How can I get rid of this? Is it common in adults? How can I face my biggest fear?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• It sounds like you just aren't used to being alone. The dark enhances that feeling. You were raised with sisters in your bedroom, so i think it can be normal for that reason.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're interested in having a partner in the future. Try turning off the tv and turn on a playlist of music (that will turn off after some time after you're guaranteed to be fallen asleep). And i dont see whats wrong with a lamp until you have a partner to sleep with in the future. Dont worry :)

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• Try to think logical, when you go to sleep you can only see dark anyway or just try and sleep under the covers with a light one first then once you get used to dark try and do it with the light off then slowley get used to the dark. It is better in the dark than the light that's what i think, i used to be scared of the darkness until i was 13 then i just realise when i sleep i see darkness anyway so why care. Also if you more worried about what could be in the dark get a lock for your door.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just you have to become powerfull, big STRENGHT, you can face anything you can beat anything, you got the POWER! thats how i lost the fear of darkness :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Welcome it. I have horrible paranoia and it's always pitch black around my house so I see crap laying with me and in the car to the point that I'm nulled to the fear of the dark.

0|0
    0|0
  • U shld be easy on urself, somethings take time
    Start watching horror films alone.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well then. Imagine if there was a blackout or a complete power failure? Then what? You got candles just in case that happens? Or A flash light? Maybe glow in the dark sticks?

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• Leave the TV off just Put on a Night light. You will Slowly feel this Soothing and all of your Fears may Drift Away. I used to be Somewhat afraid like you but I learned to Overcome it with Age. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • I used to be scared honestly I still am don't be alone when it's dark that's what I do

0|0
    0|0
  • I used to be scared of the dark but then i really thought of it. Its not the dark you're scared of initially it's the unknown you're scared of but lets say you're in your room alone with the lights open, you're aware of your surroundings then you close the lights and go to bed. At this point you already know what's in the room and you know you're safe so why let the difference in lighting scare you? Nothing in that room will change depending on how bright or dark the room is because at the end of the day its just light and won't save you from anything. Also the more you overthink it the worse it becomes next time don't keep reminding yourself how scared you are or let fear take over just pretend to be extremely casual and not bothered by the dark until you eventually actually feel that way until you just get used to it.

1|0
    0|0
  • do t

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes