Are women really obligated or feel pressured to wear makeup in order to attract MEN?

I feel like her chances are higher if she wears makeup! And she is more attractive than the ones that don’t wear makeup ! Now I’m not saying makeupless women are ugly some actually very few are extremely beautiful without makeup 💄!! Even men would look at women with makeup and be attracted to them more than the bare faced women.. it’s like an embedded pressure what are your thoughts on this?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• There's a lot of debate about this. I treat make up like the clothes you wear. If you wear nice clothes appropriate for the occasion, you look and feel nice. If you overdress it makes you look like a prick.

Wearing make up is not required, just like wearing proper clothes is not required. You can go to the date in jeans and a tee shirt. But you're trying to impress someone and get them to like you, so are you not going to put effort into your appearance?

The root then becomes, "why do women require makeup when men don't? The answer to that is "because women said they wanted to." Creating contrasting outlines on the eyes make them bolder, and appear larger. Larger eyes (while staying within proportion with the rest of the face) is typically seen as more attractive by our species.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have a my take coming up, hopefully by tonight (fingers crossed) but it says and I will say it here. Makeup is an advantage, not a disadvantage. It's an extra tool in your dating arsenal. It's not about wither it's an obligation or a pressure but does it work! If you were hold a piece of steak in front of a dog and say I really think a dog should be able to control himself and he would be a better dog for it, will he still go for the steak? Can the dog be trained not to of course! But my point here is, if a girl is wearing makeup next to you and you are not, does that make him more attracted to you or her? I mean, does it work? If it does not work it's a dead practice by all means stop doing it! But... if it attracts men. I suppose you could go without it and get a guy that looks past that, it's very possible and I am not going to say that it won't work. But men take notice to things like that and I guess the question is do you want more men to notice you? I'm in the same ballpark as you, if I want to attract girls there are things that I have to do about my appearance to make it happen. But I will end with this, I know men that use concealer because they want to, it's an advantage to them! Men don't just like it, in some cases they envy it. You make it to be a women exclusive thing but if society let men do it, they to some extend would be doing it too

0|0
    0|0
    • I felt that I may have laid this one on a little thick, I did not mean to cause tension, I was trying to use a powerful writers argument but I think I may have went a little too far. But I am going to ask a question about this today, there has just been so much about do we really need makeup. I would like to ask you a question and I promise to not go into detail and I will be respectful to your responses. Why do you think makeup is bad? Is it time, the facial discomfort, chemicals or is it the fact that you wish guys would like you for you and not for your make up?

• Cool! I'm glad that was helpful too you!! I was a bit worried... Thanks for the MHG!!!

Most Helpful Girls

• It's a complex issue.

We're simultaneously force-fed the 2 contradictory lines of "look pretty by doing xyz or no one will ever love you" and "just be happy with who you are because that's what people really want"

I think we're pressured by media through paid advertisement and sponsorship to use the products and men honestly don't give a shit.

Makeup exists to mask small skin flaws and compliment facial features. It isn't a substitute for good genes and it definitely does not make you appear hot when your face is so painted on that you should be juggling bowling pins in the circus.

Anyway, I rarely wear makeup so my opinion is worth as much as a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on.

0|1
    0|0
  • Women aren't obligated or pressured by anyone other than themselves typically. I've never had a man in my life tell me I have to wear makeup. My mother, on the other hand, raised me to believe you get ready every day to look your best. Most women just arrive at this conclusion because they see hot girls with makeup getting male attention and they take it as: "Waaah, I'm not getting attention, I'm forced to wear makeup to look like her so men will like meeee!"

We are our own worst goddamn enemies.

0|4
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 45

• This is like asking are men obligated or do they feel pressured to have a successful, well paying career in order to attract women.

Maybe men and women don't HAVE to do these things... But there's absolutely no question that they will get you more positive attention from the opposite sex, especially from the most desirable partners, which translates to a better chance of making a good match.

This isn't rocket science, and it does absolutely no good to be annoyed, or worse bitter, about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Women wear it for their comfort and to impress their friends and guys and others. I personally prefer women with no makeup especially because my sheets or shirt or face or skin being coated in fairy dust each time we make contact then uh... We'll have some issue starting with a fee for cleaners or laundry detergent xD and not to mention covering beauty for some like Alicia Keys she has nice freckles like myself which suits her although she's pretty with and without I feel like one the inconsistent and very different make up looks sometimes made her very pretty sometimes less pretty than without make up. Then, there's the covering lack of beauty I'd rather not be surprised by you looking like yoda by painting yourself to look like Fiona (From Shrek) I'll be like okay nice skin uh... Pretty tall and great build and body then seeing butt pads come out and tissue leaves the cleavage and everything suddenly is shrinking and enlarging all at once and then wrinkles and flaps appear I'd feel like cat in the hat stuck in a strange portal and dirty/covered with the make up and then lied to like Conrad and Sally felt with the Cat and Like Joan's boss I'd be like you're Fired, fired, fired, fired, fired, fired and here's your enhancements and my fee.

0|0
    0|0
  • in the nicest way bullshit. Least for me I real woman at absolute best only wears makeup to accentuate her existing facial features. and even then it is very little. So unattractive looking at a face covered in fake bake.

0|0
    0|0
  • There's a time and a place for everything you don't necessarily need makeup to be beautiful there's plenty of women that attract men all day everyday and wear no makeup at all it's all about you and the way you carry yourself the best thing a woman can wear is confidence don't forget that

0|0
    0|0
  • I feel like makeup is over used, I personally hate the makeup that u can feel with a touch of a finger or that u can taste, I personally prefer 0 makeup on any woman, but some woman feel the need to cover some spots in their faces and that's ok if it is only for those small spots, but I still prefer the spots, each spot tells a story :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Not at all, there are so many natural beauties out there who are attractive without makeup. Sure it can give you an artificial advantage but its not mandatory. Thats just a lie told by the makeup industry to get you insecure enough to buy there stuff.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most of the time when obsess over makeup and how to use it to attract men but most of the time with men, they don't care much about makeup, most men supposedly prefer a natural look... A little bit is alright, just to cover up some stuff or highlight a feature or something but too much just looks fake and guys don't like that...

0|0
    0|0
  • Not a big fan of make up. I think it's just more women wanting to wear it themselves, more then being pressured too. When you say men are more attracted to a woman with make up then a bare face I complete disagree. Personally I think of make up like a mask. At least with none you know what your getting.

0|0
    0|0
  • To be honest, I personally feel scared of women who have make-up on. I feel they're putting on an act. I tend to trust those who are plain-faced. I believe the latter are bold enough to show who they really are or simply don't care about impressing others. A quality which I really like in people, especially women.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. It’s all about nature beauty. Makeup is really gross. I never saw a girl go from ugly to hot or even average to hot using makeup, so to me it makes no difference , just a gross substance on her face. So it doesn’t really matter as long as she looks beautiful without it

0|0
    0|0
  • I think magazines and advertising does that. Its especially bad with age defying crap.. sorry but most mend just don't care if you wear makeup its other women and adverts and idiotic beauty mags that make you feel like that

0|0
    0|0
  • When I go on a date with a woman, the absolute last thing I give a shit about is her makeup. I'm trying to get to know the person I'm sitting across.

1|0
    0|0
  • For me makeup is a turnoff. I don't like it at all. Woman who uses makeup every day feels insecure by herself and don't need to put it on men. I never told any woman that she looks better with makeup. Always encourage to not use it at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly its up to each woman wether she wants to use make up to enhance there looks. But ask yourself this. Do u like yourself like that. Do u like what u see in the mirror. If u do. Then don't try to change for other people

0|0
    0|0
  • Hell no.. i personally think make up makes women look worse.. because what's better then someone loving their own nature beauty..

1|0
    0|0
    • That's very rare to hear lol i think sometimes make up can make people look a little better but it depends on how much. But i don't wear make up and i do agree people should just wear their natural state if that makes sense lol

• Honestly, women were make up for other women. In general men dont even notice you guys have make up. I for one prefer natural beauty but that me ( 30 yr male hispanic )

0|0
    0|0
  • To me no i rather date a girl that doent wear a lot of make up or at all if i like you i like you simple

0|0
    0|0
  • If a guy only likes you for your makeup he is not the one for you

1|0
    0|0
  • Women don't need make-up but it can look great on some women if it is not overdone and applied right.

0|0
    0|0
  • Believe it or not every woman is Beautifull in her own way!

1|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 17

• I never thought of it like that... I wear makeup cuz it makes me happy... I can't stand foundation or lipstick... I have. Very light eyebrows and I don't like them, so I tint and fill them in,. And I love. Doing eyeshadow like a form of. Art. And self expression, I never think about what men or women think about me... As a prove... If I feel like putting red eyeshadow on my chicks and now to mimic a tribal look I will do so... Even if is a weird look, let. Alone an atractive one

0|0
    0|0
  • Every man likes a different kind of woman... some men like their women painted up, some men like them all natural. It should be about the kind of man you want to attract to you... that's why I hardly wear make up at all. Maybe a couple times a month on nights out I wear a little eyeliner and make sure I my eyebrows look good. Thats it, and the men it attracts love it of course.

0|0
    0|0
    • I dont want to be with someone who expects me to look painted up all the time.

• I think men couldn’t care less weather or not I wear makeup. I don’t feel pressured to wear it. So no, I don’t think women are really obligated or feel pressured to wear makeup.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope. I only wear it when it’s important, I’m tired or need that little confidence boost. I’m bare faced 99% of the time. I’d really only wear mascara regularly.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know most women west make up for themselves as far as I've heard. I don't wear make uo unless u consider chap stick to be make up😂😂 but then again I've only had one boyfriend😂😂😂 but anyways i dont think so. Girls just like to make themselves up and if they feel good about themselves then thats all that really matters☺

0|0
    0|0
  • Women choose to wear makeup and they should stop blaming it upon "feeling preassured to wear it"... I've seen more people tell women to go natural than to wear makeup.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I feel pressured. Despite having dry eye syndrome (no oil in eyes) makeup fucking hurts. Burns the shit out of my eyes afterwards for a day but I still wear it.

0|0
    0|0
  • No one should feel obligated to wear makeup, for any reason.

If someone wants to, then they should wear it for themselves. If they feel forced, and thats the only reason they wear it, they shouldn't.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it's necessarily to attract men. I feel like women wearing makeup is just such a norm now, that when people see a bare faced woman they either think "wow that girl is tired/unattractive" or "geez she just rolled out of bed and left the house didn't she?" Like when I used to wait tables, I'd always wear makeup so that my guests would think I look professional and polished.

Mostly I do "natural" makeup on myself, but on the rare occasion I do something more bold, it's honestly women who appreciate it more than men haha.

0|1
    0|0
    • But isn't that a stereotype? I don't use makeup on a regular basis... Just on special occasions. If people feel good about themselves then there is no issue to have or not have makeup...

• I am not interested in attracting men. Well maybe ONE... but he doesn't seem to feel the same about me. I wear makeup for ME.

0|1
    0|0
  • I wear makeup for myself. I couldn't care less about what guys prefer

0|0
    0|0
  • the women that wear makeup are choosing to do so, nobody's forcing them lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. I dont wear any and im still pretty gorgeous. ^^ you can dm me and Il give you my insta.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes but make sure they got money. No you don’t but it only highlights our features.

0|0
    0|0
  • Who cares wear what you want

0|0
    0|0
  • Well would never I don't wear makeup at all

0|0
    0|0
  • Uh hell no lol. Find a guy that likes you natural and with makeup

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes