Should high school teachers be allowed to have tattoos?

Updates:
And explain

2|0

Most Helpful Guys

• i'm actually not a big fan of tattoos, but yes absolutely, for three reasons.

firstly, simply freedom of expression, people should be allowed to live their own lives in ways that don't hurt others or brake laws without being officially penalised. and if they can do the job, appearance shouldn't matter.

secondly, most people i know of my age, many of whom are bright, academic minds that may one day go in to teaching, have tattoos. it's not just bikers and convicts these days.
    we need teachers, throwing half of our potential down the drain isn't good for anyone.

thridly, if we want to help bring openness and understanding to our society, I don't think it's good or healthy to deliberately be putting our children in hermetic boxes, cutting our kids off from the world.
    if their not used to tattoos, it'll be weird for them to see people with them, just as it's weird to see a black person if you never have before, but getting over that unfamiliarity to people of all backgrounds and lifestyles is good.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't like tattoos at all.

That being said, I think that it depends. If it's something like a tribal armband, that's not a particularly bad thing. If it's an unsafe of an ice cream cone on your face, then no. Just, no.

I don't like tattoos, but I believe in freedom of expression so long as it doesn't infringe on the tights of others. Teachers should be allowed to have tattoos. A more important question isn't whether or not they should have them, but rather if they should be allowed to desplay them.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• In my opinion it would unconstitutional to keep someone from equal employment opportunity because of tattoos or other body modifications. whether it not a teacher has tattoos or an ectra piercing, students are going to "be distracted" by everything and anything they set their minds to. Oh, she has short legs, his nose looks like a beak. He has a really sexy haircut. Students will always try to distract themselves and it's really more the parents that will try to blame the teachers for their own student's inability to pay attention.

1|1
    0|0
  • Of course, obviously as long as the tattoos are not gang related or offensive or anything like that. I've never heard of school boards anywhere here banning them, even the Catholic ones that force students to wear uniforms. To me, it's okay for teachers at any level to have tattoos. It doesn't affect how they do their job in any way.

My husband is a high school teacher, he has tattoos, and he typically wears button up dress shirts with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows... nobody's ever said anything.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 105

• There are two questions here, even though they might seem like the same one.

Should teachers be allowed to have tattoos?
    Should schools be allowed to say they can't have them?

I think schools (or any employer) should be allowed to have dress codes for their employees. I think the requirement for men to wear ties is stupid, I hate ties. I think a ban on tattoos is kinda silly. But I think the schools (or any employer) should be allowed to make that decision.

0|0
    0|0
  • Off hand I would say yes, because the employer has no say over what the teacher can do with his/her body. However, employment is at the discretion of the employer, so if it is a no no from an appearance standpoint then it should be taken into consideration when planning to get something as permanent as a tattoo.

1|0
    0|1
  • Yes. Kids ought to be exposed to different lifestyles, not just the conservative mainstream teachers seem to have to adhere to. Also somones appearance dosent affect their ability to teach and inspire young people. I'd draw a line at anything obscene, but generally tattoes shouldn't be demonised

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends where. If they are obnoxious, it might be distracting to students but if it's small and or not in plain sight it's not that big a deal. But inappropriate tattoos like sex or swears are a big non no

0|1
    1|0
  • i think tattoos are totally fine as long as it's not a tattoo of some gang/criminal organization the teacher is secretly in or use to be part of, and if it's covered by their shirt i see no problem with it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah its their body let em do what they want with it as long as they can teach well. But i think it would be more appropriate if it was like a more lenient version of the military where its as long as it can be hidden under a long sleeve and nothing on the face or neck.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, if bob has the right to lob off his gentleman sausage, and give himself a big ole set of fake chesticles and himself cheryl and nobody can say anything about it without being labeled as an insensitive sexist homophobe, then tattoo your whole body, i dont care. Id rather someone who owns their body art and stands by it than someone who decided they wanted to live a lie.

"An armed society is a polite society. If I offended you, you needed it"
    -Robert Gentry

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I mean they are adults they can choose whatever they want I had a teacher that had tattoos he was really cool, I think they should maybe some parents may be against it because kids are like sponges they absorb everything in their surroundings so maybe the kid one day want to have a tattoo when their parents are against it but i think they should

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, having one or multiple tattoos doesn't change your level of qualification as a teacher. It does not and should not determine whether you are competent enough or capable to teach. With that being said, I think it is perfectly acceptable for an employer to look at two people with the same qualifications, but where one has tattoos, and decide to hire the job seeker without tattoos for that fact alone.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, you have an entire life ahead of you. And the overwhelming amount of people who regret or have to cover tattoos that they don't like later in life should be reason enough that anybody with a still devolving brain shouldn't make life ling decisions.

1|0
    1|1
  • Yes
    1. Freedom of speech
    2. Allows for more creative thinking
    3. Could offer a better relationship with ones students
    However, If I had a toddler with a teacher all tatted up, I dont know how my kid would feel about it. But if my son/daughter was older like in middle or high school and had a teacher with tats, I would hope he/she would think it's pretty fuckin cool. But some people aren't comfortable with tattoos like myself and many others are so honestly this is just a tough question lmao

0|0
    0|0
  • Personally I wouldn't go down to it or say yes or no but person me I wouldn't do it but everybody has their own prerogative drunken got it so it's not for me to say but the way it's what is taught in school and how to preserve themselves not how they look

0|0
    0|0
  • I think the teacher must be a good example for their students, every teacher is like spiritual parent , even if teacher have tattoos it must be covered. The school , college etc, should have their rules and spiritual free from extreme thing's like tattoos you said, and more.

0|0
    1|1
  • Yes they should. I don't see teacher as rolemodels young people or kids follow. Maybe they should.. but seeing that tattooed people still have manners and place in the society could just lower the prejudice people paint in their heads.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not if they're visible. I think it's reasonable and important to expect high school teachers to present themselves in a certain way that doesn't include tattoos. That's just my opinion.

0|0
    3|0
  • Yes because it only affects her appearance and not their teaching skills. But That does not mean that everything should be allowed like face tattoos and/or inappropriate tattoos with themes such as sexual or adult content, or nothing to gruesome

1|0
    0|1
  • Yes, ink should not be counted against as a teacher, its their personal expression and should not be a factor, they are who they are, and if they are qualified to be a teacher they have earned the right to teach, and not be judged by their ink

0|1
    0|0
  • Sure I believe by having some ink let's the students know there teacher is with it and that might allow the student to open up if there having problems and need to vent to someone...

0|1
    0|0
  • I see no reason ehy not I mean why should someone's choice to put something meaningful on their body affect their efficiency to do their job as good as anyone else right?

0|0
    0|0
  • Why not? If the school policies do not allow them just cover them. This coming from a guy that dislikes tattos.

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as they can be covered I don’t have a problem. Teaching is a professional job, and having a arm, or body full of tattoos exposed, in my opinion isn’t professional

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Unless the tattoo says anything and mean anything negative.

2|0
    0|0
  • To be honest the fact that schools make children and teachers dress and present them selves in a certain way is wrong people should be alowed to express them selves

0|0
    0|0
    • You mean like bringing a gun to school and shooting somebody?

• Absolutely, it would probably create a stronger relation between staff and student. The faculty would appear more relatable and they would get the freedom of physically expressing themselves

0|0
    0|0
  • Why wouldn't they back allowed tattoos. Or is this an anti Jewish thing because they all got tattooed in concentration camps (ban the tattoo ban tattooed tactic)

0|0
    0|0
  • Should be fine, people are free to do whatever they feel like doing. And why should they stop? Coz the kids will do same? Nah... if those kids were taught well they'd be okay with it

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. To show kids that regardless of what you have done growing up or regardless of the different interest you have it doesn't determine who you are regardless of what society may say.

0|0
    0|0
  • The professional should never have tattoos. Look at it this way, you build a nice building. You spend all of your resources maintaining it. Why in the world would you graffiti it?

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I don't really see what I would need to explain. Tattoos do not effect how well a person does their job.

0|0
    0|0
    • But it does affect how others perceive things. Students may be distracted by the Tats, just as Adults are distracted by Tats on someone in a business meeting. Tats are distracting.

• Show All
    • But it shows thier character.

• No it doesn't.

• No, it would corrupt our innocent pure little angelic children! Arhghhh Gonna destroy their innocence oh the poor poor child... Jk, who gives a shit.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 55

• Should a student be allowed to have a tattoo that says fuck school? I don't think tattoos have any place in school. A lot of businesses, like Disneyland will not allow any tattoos that show. Schools should be for learning, not for admiring tattoos. Kids have no say as to if they think a teacher should have one because they have to go to school so have to deal with things they don't like. This should not be one of them.

0|0
    2|0
  • Yes. It allows the kids to be able to relate to the teacher more. Tattoos are seen as bad in a professional setting (for dumb reasons). So the kids who see that their role models aren’t perfect strive to not only learn book work, but they also learn how to accept wisdom and real life knowledge.
    Also... tats are cool ☺️💕

0|0
    0|0
  • Their body, they can do what they want, as long as it isn't disrespectful to others in the images or language used.
    E. g., grade school teachers having swear words on their arms or sexual acts visible

0|0
    0|0
  • What? Having a tattoo means you're a sleazy nobody with at least one addiction of some sort, how could someone like that be allowed to teach?
    (sarcasm)

1|0
    0|0
  • No, it should always be up to each School District. Students may be distracted by the Tats, just as Adults are distracted by Tats on someone in a business meeting. Tats are distracting.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, that’s okay, as long as they’re not inappropriate or offensive.
    Tattoos don’t effect teaching ability.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, tattoos are nothing but ink on the body. They don't say anything negative or positive about a person.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes They Should Be Able To have Tatooos Because Even Though They Teach A Younger Audience They Still Are Grown And Still Should Be Able To Do What They Want Even It They Are An Elementary or Middle School Teacher

0|1
    0|0
  • I think they should be allowed. Like I dont have a promblem with it have my teacher have tattoos. Its there body. Some parent might be uncomfortable with it especially if its like a lot, but like its not stoping them from teaching.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it matters as long as they don't have like, a nazi symbol on their forehead or something.

1|0
    0|0
  • If it isn't anything offensive I don't see the problem, tattoos have a very bad reputation in Japan though due to the cultural association they have with the Yakuza

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes lol, why not? What does a tattoo have to do with a teacher’s ability to teach? Several of my co-workers have tattoos. Our students think they’re cool actually.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think so. That doesn't intrude on their ability to teach students.

0|0
    0|1
  • Yes. Getting tattoes won't turn them into bad people nor won't make them unable to teach young people. They can wear long sleeves if tattoos are against the school code, but it's not a big deal to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes! It encourages freedom of individuals as well as promotes creativity! As long as the tattoo is not inappropriate!

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. It's not like kids don't already see them at home or on social media so teachers should be allowed to have tats as well

1|0
    0|1
  • Why not. We should be more focused on their knowledge and ability to teach rather than to instill an unconscious bias from an early age.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is absloutly no reason to why not. Tattoos mean nothing about who you are as a person and it's so ridiculous that people mean someone doesn't present themselves well because they have tattoos.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, unless they're covered in swastikas I don't see any reason it should effect their career.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think they should be allowed provided any provocative tattoos are covered.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, how does having tattoos affect their teaching? Plus it is their body not someone else body

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course it represents who they are also long as it's not like something racist of just inappropriate for children to see than I would say it's fine

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, of course. My math teacher was a tattoo model and I'm pretty sure her tattoos didn't make her any less of a math teacher than other teachers.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes. y no other profession should be banned either let alone the one that is in front of snotty nosed kids

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes obviously. Its just a tattoo its not hurting anyone

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, it's only tattoo

0|0
    0|0
  • Tasteful Ones. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • Why not?

0|0
    0|0
  • Why should they not be allowed to have tattoos?

0|1
    0|1
  • Lol, yes? Why should it matter?

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes