Do you feel like personality is more inherited or learned?

I was thinking about babies (because I'm always thinking about them). I sometimes hear people say "I hope he/she has my personality" and it always makes me think. Like when I think of my personality I think that it's mine lol. It's me, it's who I am. But then I think about my mom and how she acts, and I see some of her in me. Then i think, did I inherit that behavior? Or did I learn to be that way from her? I've always been interested in behaviors and psychology and such. I really wish I had stuck with it in school.

Anywho, this is the randomness that is on my mind lol. Interested in your thoughts.
  • Inherited
  • Learned
  • A mixture
    Vote C

3889

Most Helpful Guys

• Is it inherited or learned? Yes.

It's been found that certain traits like habits and addictions may be passed down through epigenetics. For those that have never heard of it, the epigenetic code is responsible for activating and deactivating parts of the genetic code to allow an organism to adapt to its environment.

In this sense certain traits (including personality) are inherited. However, as is made clear by observing identical twins, it's certainly not the whole story. Identical twins are the same genetically but they're clearly different from each other. This is because our personality is something we develop with our environment. Even two identical twins don't develop the same personalities in the same environment though so it can be hard to tell if part of it is simply human nature.

• I would reframe the poll because almost nobody is 100% in the Inheritance camp. I think it’s about 80% learned and 20% inherited. There are also other factors like nurtrition and health that factor in as well. There’s the “stress level” of the family which helps the child either avoid or take risk. There’s encouragement vs discouragement, or outright neglect. I am who I am in spite of my parent’s upbringing. Which makes it difficult for me to care about them now that I’m elderly. On the other hand, I have prepared my children in every way possible for the world, and they are rocking their worlds.

• Reframe it why? You feel like it's a mixture. Other people don't feel that way.

• Yes, there is too much in one’s environment for things to be 100% genetically determined. Even the very smartest kid will not succeed without love and support of parents. There is a saying that I tell my kids that persistence, staying at a task is more important than being smart. I know a dumb billionaire.

Most Helpful Girls

• I don't think personality as a whole is inherited, its just who you are as a person though children do inherit some traits for example people say am as quiet as my dad but still as crazy as my mom, while there are things that compose your personality that you learn such as your values, principles and beliefs sometimes we are thought those from parents or just experience and the environment.
    Plus we know some kids be having parents who are assholes or criminals but they still turn well and better.

• This is true. It's so many factors that come into play with so many possible outcomes

• Scientists agree that it is in fact a mixture, however I will say that I think majority of it may be inherited. You see all the time siblings who are brought up the same way, in the same environment, are drastically different. Also, there’s been a couple crazy stories of how identical twins who were adopted, living completely separated lives, didn’t even know each other ended up with the same names, same careers, same strange antics, etc. Addistionally, serial killers often show very abnormal traits early on in childhood, such as tormenting animals and many were brought up in normal households, with no abuse. Jeffrey Dahmers father had said that he had always had urges to commit murder, however never did because he knew it was wrong. So, that could have been inherited. So for these reasons I believe that majority is inherited. But I also think the environment has a great impact as well. For example, Someone could have inherited aggressive tendencies but were raised with wonderful parents and grew up with love surrounding them, had a great experience in school and so that trait was molded and changed and never was acted out.