Do you think a realist is just a pessimist in disguise?

I sometimes wonder this about myself because I tell myself I'm just "being realistic" about certain things but I wonder if it's just my pessimism and fear disguising itself as realism. Do you ever feel that way? And, do you think realism can be used as a front to hide someones pessimistic based fears?

1448

Most Helpful Guys

• There is this parable, about being in a boat, and it is an Optimist, Pessimist and Realist.
    The wind blows from the wrong direction, and the Pessimist complains, and curses the wind: "We will never get there, now!!"
    The Optimist, trying to lighten the mood, just offers his opinion: "Maybe with Wind will change direction, soon?"
    The Realist, understanding, says nothing, and just adjusts the sail, to catch the wind, and get them home!!
    How does your perspective fit in, with that parable? Which one, are you, really?
    It's hard to be the Realist, and say things are messed up! But part of being THAT REALIST, is the second part of the statement!!
    "Yeah, things seem bad, and messed up, but I AM ADJUSTING THE SAIL!"
    Are you the one that 'adjusts the sail' and 'offers a solution'? Or do you just complain, like a pessimist? THAT is the difference!!

• Nope.
    I'm a realistic optimist.
    I like to assume the best in people and the world. But reality is there are fucked up people out there too and the world is a harsh place. There's just a small but decent dash of beauty in both. I find if I expect the absolute worst of any given situation, I'm never really that surprised when it inevitably goes to shit and I always have at least the basis of a solution already formed up whereas I'm pleasantly surprised every time things end up turning out alright.
    Pray for the best prepare for the worst.

Most Helpful Girls

• A guy said to me - there is no such thing as the real world - you make your own reality. I agree with him! If you think positive and act good - people will like you and give you special treatment.

• So if I think positively and act good, slave trades, murder and rape around the world will stop? 🤔

• That's not even the half of it, I know a lot more people who were subjected to terrible things at young ages, people who were completely innocent, who are empathic and caring for others, who never wronged anyone and got hurt by the world and the evil people in it for no reason whatsoever other than "bad luck" and lack of protections. At least with my stabbing I can blame myself for jumping into a situation thoughtlessly, but the same can't be said for others.

• @4pple I'm really sorry to hear that. Nobody should have to deal the cruelness of the world at any age, yet alone a young age. I wish I could say I understand but I don't think my bad life stuff is anywhere near as bad as your life of stuff or that of the people you know. Again, I'm sorry.

• Well, if realism and pessimism are interchangeable (as you say your pessimism is disguised as realism) then really it's no disguise at all. Being 'realistic' often comes across as a negative, glass half empty outlook which could also be called pessimistic. So, no, I don't think it's a front at all and you're likely being too critical of yourself. Perhaps you might be a little depressed? Or is it that you see the consequences and weigh your decisions from a worst case scenario? Whatever the case, you recognize this penchant for pessimism you've got and that's half way to improving any situation; recognizing that you're in it.