Where do you stand on the Sasquatch question?

A still from the famous Patterson / Gimlin film
A still from the famous Patterson / Gimlin film
I will state my position.

I believe that the burden of proof rests on the believers. To date, they have not been able to supply compelling evidence of the existence of an unknown hominid in the wilds of North America.

However, whilst I personally believe that the existence of such creatures is highly improbable, I am also curious as to what might compel so many people to believe that they had seen something unusual. Not all of these are monster hunters, and some of them have pretty impeccable credentials, with no apparent motive for lying.

I was also unaware, until recently, that this hypothesis had been taken significantly more seriously by the scientific community, until an incident involving what came to be known as the Minnesota Iceman destroyed a scientist's reputation, since when other scientists have steered well clear of it.

So I would say that I am inclined heavily towards scepticism, but feel that I cannot categorically state that sasquatches are a myth. I would be delighted to be proven wrong, but I do not believe I will be.

What do you think? And why?
  • I'm a believer
    Vote A
  • I sit on the fence, but tend towards believing
    Vote B
  • I sit on the fence, but tend towards scepticism
    Vote C
  • I'm a sceptic
    Vote D
  • What's a sasquatch?
    Vote E
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Not a believer (unless you count the hair obsessed guy on GaG that likes to show his shag carpet chest) and still don’t understand how any “footage” that comes up of Sasquatch looks like it was shot with a shakey home video camera from 1992. Even a $50 phone these days has a semi decent camera

0|1
    0|0
    • I don't think that photos and film these days would convince me, no matter how good they were. There are a lot of people about now, who know exactly how to doctor stuff so that it looks entirely real.

For me to get off my fence, I'd need a qualified expert to examine a physical specimen, and pronounce it genuine, under the eyes of the world's media. Otherwise, it's still not going to make me a believer.

Most Helpful Guys

• Are you aware that a mountaineer once saw large footprints on a mountain in the Himalayas that Hadn't been climbed in 30 years.
    That two of my Personal Heroes, Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay saw large footprints on their ascent.
    There is more if i could bother to go back and listen to the afterword of a certain horror novel I like

0|1
    0|0
    • I voted B. I'm on the fence but there are more than a few things that make me inclined to think there is something to these stories

• I'm reading a book at the moment, and those events are mentioned, along with potential explanations. I don't believe anybody else was up there, planting those as a hoax, but I do believe that sun distortion might have played a role in making the trails of other animals look like something very unusual.

• I have no reason to believe there are entire species of rather sizable animals running around undiscovered in the wild.

I do believe claims of people running into things, but I think those are just sightings of regular animals that are either victims of diseases or natural mutations.
    Alternatively, I believe the victims might actually the viewers, fooled by their fear response and imagination.

As someone who lives in a rural area and frequently encounters wild animals, I have my own share of mistaking minks, foxes, piglets and deer for crazy monsters that are out there to eat me.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 5

• I'm not a believer. With all the technology we have, not a single soul can get a clear picture of him. In my 42 years no one has found out exactly where they sleep.

0|1
    0|0
  • How did you get that photo of my husband? 😆

0|2
    0|0
  • Andre The Giant in a monkey suit

0|2
    0|0
  • Probably hopped out of some other dimension.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm on the fence leaning towards skeptic.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 16

• Well, seeing is no longer believing... so I'll wait for the geneticists to tell the world yea or nay on this one. Need evidence to test first, though. I'll say this: If they exist, they're smart enough to fool us for this long, and for their sake that's a good idea.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah, I’m not a believer. I don’t believe in ghosts, chubacabras, Sasquatches, etc. I think some of these individuals have spotted something that looks like a Sasquatch, but in fact it wasn’t and was some other type of animal who may have been distorted via light, elevation, distance, angle, etc. It is very possible that these people who have claimed they saw one of these things have had their sight distorted by any of the above or all of the above listed factors.

0|1
    0|0
  • I mean, I know there hasn't been any hard evidence.
    But the Panda, Okapi, Platypus and Gorilla were all animals that were thought to be myths until science proved them real.

If there are humans and there are apes, it makes sense that there would be something in the middle.

0|1
    0|0
  • The modern camera-equipped smartphone has been distributed to virtually every person wandering the north American wilderness.

There is no sasquatch.

0|1
    0|0
  • wtf dude, who allowed you to take a picture a me after bathing? you're a sick individual and Im calling the cops...

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't stand anywhere on the sasquatch question.

I just walk by since I don't care in the slightest.

0|1
    0|0
  • There has been no credible proof of a Sasquatch at all.

0|1
    0|0
  • I live in the Pacific Northwest and love doing outdoor activities like camping, horseback riding, and hiking

Never seen one or any proof of one

0|1
    0|0
  • Maybe he is real and he is just a blurry monster and there is a giant out of focus monster running around the place

1|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes