Where do you stand on the Sasquatch question?

A still from the famous Patterson / Gimlin film
I will state my position.

I believe that the burden of proof rests on the believers. To date, they have not been able to supply compelling evidence of the existence of an unknown hominid in the wilds of North America.

However, whilst I personally believe that the existence of such creatures is highly improbable, I am also curious as to what might compel so many people to believe that they had seen something unusual. Not all of these are monster hunters, and some of them have pretty impeccable credentials, with no apparent motive for lying.

I was also unaware, until recently, that this hypothesis had been taken significantly more seriously by the scientific community, until an incident involving what came to be known as the Minnesota Iceman destroyed a scientist's reputation, since when other scientists have steered well clear of it.

So I would say that I am inclined heavily towards scepticism, but feel that I cannot categorically state that sasquatches are a myth. I would be delighted to be proven wrong, but I do not believe I will be.

What do you think? And why?
  • I'm a believer
  • I sit on the fence, but tend towards believing
  • I sit on the fence, but tend towards scepticism
    Vote C
  • I'm a sceptic
    Vote D
  • What's a sasquatch?
    Vote E

618

Most Helpful Girl

• Not a believer (unless you count the hair obsessed guy on GaG that likes to show his shag carpet chest) and still don’t understand how any “footage” that comes up of Sasquatch looks like it was shot with a shakey home video camera from 1992. Even a $50 phone these days has a semi decent camera

• I don't think that photos and film these days would convince me, no matter how good they were. There are a lot of people about now, who know exactly how to doctor stuff so that it looks entirely real.

For me to get off my fence, I'd need a qualified expert to examine a physical specimen, and pronounce it genuine, under the eyes of the world's media. Otherwise, it's still not going to make me a believer.

Most Helpful Guys

• Are you aware that a mountaineer once saw large footprints on a mountain in the Himalayas that Hadn't been climbed in 30 years.
    That two of my Personal Heroes, Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay saw large footprints on their ascent.
    There is more if i could bother to go back and listen to the afterword of a certain horror novel I like

• I voted B. I'm on the fence but there are more than a few things that make me inclined to think there is something to these stories

• I'm reading a book at the moment, and those events are mentioned, along with potential explanations. I don't believe anybody else was up there, planting those as a hoax, but I do believe that sun distortion might have played a role in making the trails of other animals look like something very unusual.

• I have no reason to believe there are entire species of rather sizable animals running around undiscovered in the wild.

I do believe claims of people running into things, but I think those are just sightings of regular animals that are either victims of diseases or natural mutations.
    Alternatively, I believe the victims might actually the viewers, fooled by their fear response and imagination.

As someone who lives in a rural area and frequently encounters wild animals, I have my own share of mistaking minks, foxes, piglets and deer for crazy monsters that are out there to eat me.