What's your take on same-sex lovers in children's shows and movies?

I saw a lot of opinions on questions about Bert and Ernie that said that children's characters shouldn't have sexual orientation or any kind of romantic interests.

Then I don't understand how same people are okay with Johnny Bravo, Shrek, Simba, Aladdin etc which clearly show protagonists having romantic interests. If hetero romantic interests in children's entertainment are accepted, what's problem with homosexual romantic interests?

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• There is The Loud House where one of the characters has 2 dads (white and black) and one of the characters is Bisexual. Honestly, it's been going on in cartoons in hidden ways since the 90's. Smithers from The Simpsons is a good example. Cow and Chicken at times even borderlined on homosexuality and Transgenderism

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't have a problem with non-hetero relationships in children's programs, nor do I have a problem with non-hetero relationships in real life, but I might the minority here. I'm just against people parading around naked in the street in front of children at the Gay Parade in San Francisco. That's where I draw the line.

1|0
    0|0
    • I agree with you actually.

And yes, you're a minority here for most people here think that kid's characters shouldn't be shown to be gay.

• Virtually every gay person I know dislikes Gay Pride parades, usually because they feel those people aren't representative of them.

Most Helpful Girls

• There will be same-sex married teachers, friends,... in their life. Censoring gay people out of every show because children watch it is setting them up to become intolerant people. How can they become tolerant if they don’t know who they can’t discriminate in the first place? Gay people are not sexual deviants. They are two people who love each other like every other couple. Why should children be raised to hate people who are different by not showing them that people who fall outside of the heteronormativity exist?

1|0
    0|0
  • I feel it is not right in kid's cartoons and shows.

it is a grown up situation and kids dont know how to make good decisions in other things.

let them grow up and as adults decide for themself.

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 39

• On one hand, I can see the hypocrisy. On the other hand - gayness is still not a usual thing in society. And never will be.

So trying to make it not only a logical, but a desirable alternative can lead to children mischaracterising same sex friendships as homoeroticism. And that's a horrible idea.

Sorry that I have to. say this, but i take a side here: gay marriage and relationships should remain as rare in TV and movies as it is in real life.

0|2
    0|0
    • Yea, but no need to get triggered over one gay character in sea of thousands straight characters. I
      As I said on one of your question, it's just a character, made by creators who shape them the way they feel right

• That's fine. Except the characters WEREN'T gay before. Not explicitly. This is clearly another instance of current day politics influencing an existing series, and retroactively overwriting it.

This is like that one guy in school who saw you do anything mildly unusual, and went: "haha, ur gay! Gay gay gay gay gay!"
      XYZ is your favourite character? Your role. model? He's gay now!

This kind of "gotcha" mentality is what annoys me. Want gay characters? Write new ones, and let me judge them based on your writing. Don't just change straight characters.

And let's not pretend that being gay is not a relevant character trait.

• sex no matter whether gay or straight has NO place in a children's show... if romance however and it is a love story then it isn't a problem as long as it doesn't take away from the story,

example like if they change something and put it in purely for equality purposes and make the story suffer as a result

otherwise no issue

1|0
    0|0
  • depends is it a blatant message? i remember this commercial i saw it i never even caught that it was supposed to be a gay couple. I just saw two guys spending quality time with a kid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVnOsonF1Fw

1|0
    0|0
  • It's just more problems for the parents really. Kids are going to learn about homosexuality later in life anyways. But when they're kids the only kind of relationship they is between their parents. So when they see two males or females saying that they're are in a relationship they're going to ask their parents about how that is possible and then the parents will have to explain it.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think like any romantic interest in kids shows it should be subtle other than innuendos for the adults.

I think showing everyday examples of your gay friend next door types like that helps people accept it as more normal over time.

1|0
    0|1
    • so when you say "more normal" the sub context of your sentence is giving away that clearly it is not normal, and you are right

• Id say forcing it in when it doesn't fit a story feels awkward.

Homosexuals make up around 10% of the population so that sounds pretty normal to me.

• It's nothing new. Plus, only the religious nuts are freaking out over it and being snowflakes over it

This clip proves this that same-sex lovers have been in children shows forever
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9aP2dDNqds

1|0
    0|2
  • As i understand it from the gays I've spoken too a lot of them didn't know they were gay as children so maybe we should keep ideas of sexuality and sex in general away from kids.
    https://youtu.be/uMl9oYSVGlo

0|0
    0|0
  • My personal beliefs are that homosexuality is wrong but I don't hate anyone for being a homosexual. I don't believe any homosexual romantic interests should be shown in media for reason previously stated.

1|2
    0|0
  • it's an interesting point to explain to children that same sex couples are a thing, that they exist, that there is nothing to be ashamed of and that it's love, just like a straight couple BUT they are a bit young to understand what it means... so yes and no

1|0
    0|0
  • God damnit! We do not need our children thinking homosexuality is okay.
    Kids are copy cats
    They see a homosexual relationship in cartoons, they will want one.
    We do not need our kids becoming gay.

1|1
    0|0
  • Kids shouldn't be sheltered from reality. It's the only way to make people stop caring about orientation. If people just accepted everyone we wouldn't need any of the "*insert anything* rights groups", people could just be people again.

1|0
    0|2
  • I suspect they will grace the screen more and more as homosexual marriage becomes legalized in more and more places.

1|0
    0|1
  • I think it's best to save that for school where they can be taught, it's important to be able to ask questions about that. I would prefer to explain that to my child instead of Hollywood doing it

0|0
    0|0
  • If our children are are going to see it in the real world why not educate and introduce children to it on tv

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it's fine because children will learn and grow used to the concept. That will make them more open minded in the long run.

1|0
    0|0
  • My take is that until we are 100% certain what the cause of non-heterosexual orientations is, children should consume only heteronormative media.

0|0
    0|1
  • I think they are trying to hard to shove it down are throats

2|1
    0|0
  • I don't care if the are gay or not, but it should be sensored. Like you don't see shrecks ding dong slamming feonia

1|0
    0|0
  • Shits insane in my opinion
    They're kids let em grow up and mature before they get exposed to this shit

1|0
    1|0
  • Simple - because homosexuality is still taboo in most places.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 11

• I'm okay with that. Totally fine with it. It will make them more accepting and open minded. But the only problem is they will ask me and my husband about same sex lovers and all. Will kinda get awkward when we will have to explain it to munchkins..🙄 lol.

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't really care if it wasn't for the fact that its such a big deal right now. we should be keeping political shit out of childrens movies and shows. they do this with feminism as well. im waiting for a childrens movie about guns needing to be banned to come out soon... smmfh (idk if wut i said made sense, i tried to explain the best i could lol)

1|0
    0|0
    • I think I just get really annoyed with it in particular though because for a while i had a bunch of friends that were bi and lesbian and they all shamed me and claimed that i was boring for being straight and they looked at straigh couples like they were trash. and all they would ever talk about was lgbt. im just so fucking done with hearing about it 😂 its so redundant at this point

• i dont mind it, although i haven't seen it a lot. other than maybe adventure time with princess bubblegum and marceline, i dont really know any other shows that showcase gay/lesbian couples/characters

1|0
    0|0
  • I get Bert and Ernie. That's for toddler's, and young children's shows like that tend to not have romantic interests of any kind, beyond having parents.
    Other than that, perfectly fine with same sex relationships presented in media.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why would a sexual relationship (homo or hetero) be implied in a Children's show or movie in the first place?

1|1
    0|0
  • i don't see anything wrong with it. in fact i think it's great. just as how heterosexual couples and love have been shown on television, i think it is so important for homosexual realtionships to be portrayed, rather than have children who grow up not understanding their sexuality and feeling ashamed of themselves. plus as long as the couple, regardless of sexuality, aren't being sexual or weird about the fact that they are "a thing" there is nothing wrong with showing that to kids. most of them see it in real life anyways.

1|0
    0|1
  • Kids shouldn't be sheltered from reality

Being sheltered makes people stupid

1|0
    0|0
  • They are awesome. But with Muppets it's a little far fetched.

1|0
    0|0
  • more representation yus

1|0
    0|0
  • I don’t care

1|0
    0|0
  • I am for it

1|0
    0|1

Recommended myTakes