What's your take on same-sex lovers in children's shows and movies?

I saw a lot of opinions on questions about Bert and Ernie that said that children's characters shouldn't have sexual orientation or any kind of romantic interests.

Then I don't understand how same people are okay with Johnny Bravo, Shrek, Simba, Aladdin etc which clearly show protagonists having romantic interests. If hetero romantic interests in children's entertainment are accepted, what's problem with homosexual romantic interests?

1341

Most Helpful Guys

• There is The Loud House where one of the characters has 2 dads (white and black) and one of the characters is Bisexual. Honestly, it's been going on in cartoons in hidden ways since the 90's. Smithers from The Simpsons is a good example. Cow and Chicken at times even borderlined on homosexuality and Transgenderism

• I don't have a problem with non-hetero relationships in children's programs, nor do I have a problem with non-hetero relationships in real life, but I might the minority here. I'm just against people parading around naked in the street in front of children at the Gay Parade in San Francisco. That's where I draw the line.

• I agree with you actually.

And yes, you're a minority here for most people here think that kid's characters shouldn't be shown to be gay.

• Virtually every gay person I know dislikes Gay Pride parades, usually because they feel those people aren't representative of them.

Most Helpful Girls

• There will be same-sex married teachers, friends,... in their life. Censoring gay people out of every show because children watch it is setting them up to become intolerant people. How can they become tolerant if they don’t know who they can’t discriminate in the first place? Gay people are not sexual deviants. They are two people who love each other like every other couple. Why should children be raised to hate people who are different by not showing them that people who fall outside of the heteronormativity exist?

• I feel it is not right in kid's cartoons and shows.

it is a grown up situation and kids dont know how to make good decisions in other things.

let them grow up and as adults decide for themself.