Do you listen to sad songs when you’re sad?

I don’t understand why people do that? Doesn’t it just make you more sad? Listen to happy songs to cheer you up!

4041

Most Helpful Girls

• I think human beings have a natural inclination to express their emotions but they are taught that they should not express their emotions all the time so when they hear a sad song - the song because an excuse for them to express how they feel - without actually mouthing the words which they might be too scared or intimidated to do.

• I do that. It’s comforting. When I feel like being cheered up, I will find a way. But I’m not always in the mood for that because sometimes it can be really annoying. Sort of like someone bragging “I’m happy, you are not, get on my level.” With depressing songs it’s like they’re saying “I’ve been there too, this is my story, you are not alone”

Most Helpful Guys

• that just make me feel even more sad. I have stop listing to some songs because they remind me of bad time. I guess some people just like to suffer and feel depress about themselves when they are going through bad times, they can't help it. music stimulates the brain soo much...
    I love music!!!

• I think it’s important to develop and delve into your emotions rather than try to block them out or bandage them up. Sad songs do not make me more sad and happy songs do not make me happier, they help to inform the context of why I am sad or happy. A sad song can enumerate reasons that contribute to why you feel sad, which I view as important and necessary to finding out how to axe those problems as much as you can. Listening to happy music when I am sad just makes me feel like I am not included in the experience described in the song, it actually makes me more sad at times.