Do you listen to sad songs when you’re sad?

I don’t understand why people do that? Doesn’t it just make you more sad? Listen to happy songs to cheer you up!

1|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I think human beings have a natural inclination to express their emotions but they are taught that they should not express their emotions all the time so when they hear a sad song - the song because an excuse for them to express how they feel - without actually mouthing the words which they might be too scared or intimidated to do.

0|0
    0|0
  • I do that. It’s comforting. When I feel like being cheered up, I will find a way. But I’m not always in the mood for that because sometimes it can be really annoying. Sort of like someone bragging “I’m happy, you are not, get on my level.” With depressing songs it’s like they’re saying “I’ve been there too, this is my story, you are not alone”

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• that just make me feel even more sad. I have stop listing to some songs because they remind me of bad time. I guess some people just like to suffer and feel depress about themselves when they are going through bad times, they can't help it. music stimulates the brain soo much...
    I love music!!!

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it’s important to develop and delve into your emotions rather than try to block them out or bandage them up. Sad songs do not make me more sad and happy songs do not make me happier, they help to inform the context of why I am sad or happy. A sad song can enumerate reasons that contribute to why you feel sad, which I view as important and necessary to finding out how to axe those problems as much as you can. Listening to happy music when I am sad just makes me feel like I am not included in the experience described in the song, it actually makes me more sad at times.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 38

• I don't listen to music when I'm sad/down, not even happy music helps me getting out of that mood

0|0
    0|0
  • I do, even if it makes things worse!

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I listen to sad songs when I'm sad. Happy songs just irritate me and make me more sad, like I just can't relate to them. Sad songs are like... Oh hey someone else feels sad sometimes too. It's almost a comfort

2|0
    0|0
  • No it cheerful happy songs just give me a headache and annoy me if i'm upset because i'm not in the mood to listen to them if i'm sad but i more listen to sad songs because it helps express my feelings

1|1
    0|0
  • Sometimes so I can feel miserable have a pity party and cry and let it all out. Once I cry and let it all out I feel better. I know it's weird🤔

1|1
    0|0
  • I’ve read somewhere that it helps to listen to sad songs when you’re sad. It’s an acknowledgement of the feeling you’re having, like someone understands you in a way.

1|2
    0|0
  • I do it specifically to make myself cry.
    So that my bi-polar self can get tf over it & move on with life.

1|0
    0|0
  • For me, listening to sad songs, don’t make me more sad, it actually brings me at peace and calms me down, and makes me think about the situation, to try and understand it and move onward

0|2
    0|0
  • Yes... I listen to sad songs when I'm sad...
    I dont know why, but it somehow helps, it helps a lot.

0|0
    0|0
  • When my tears need to be shed, sad music helps. Other than the fact that I like the songs I listen to, it is why I listen to them when I'm sad.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 39

• I am currently stuck on "Take Me Down" The Pretty Reckless. It will not leave my head and I am far from sad.

2|0
    0|0
  • I actually do the opposite 🤣
    Happy cheerful and motivational songs when I'm down
    &
    Sad, down to earth songs when I'm over the moon - just to remind myself that the happiness isn't gonna last forever... so enjoy every moment of it till it lasts

0|0
    0|0
  • I normally start listening to semi sad songs and then mix in some happy and up tempo songs too. I do this whether I’m happy or sad and it keeps my mood at an even level.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I do. No it doesn't make me more sad, they help me handle my emotions by expressing just how I feel. When sad I'm not in the mood to hear happy songs, they would just piss me off.

0|0
    0|0
    • Listening to happy songs when I'm sad is like when I'm really really really really tired and can't get out of bed that instead of keeping on laying there I stand up and start doint jumping jacks. A terrible feeling.

• Listening sad song when sad makes it feel reliable, real. It feels proper, peace.
    Listening to happy song when sad makes it boring, unrealistic, uninteresting!

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe because it feels like there’s someone commiserating when they’re down.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope. I don't know why people do that. I think it's pretty stupid.

When I'm sad I actually like to watch stand up comedy cause I think laughing is pretty much the opposite of being upset.

0|0
    0|0
  • Fuck no. I listen to Barney or Teletubbies. That shit is firee.

1|0
    0|0
  • When I am sad, I usually listen to alternative, punk rock, metal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes