Are there more than 2 genders?

I believe there are more than 2 in the sense that some people are born hermaphrodites or have chromosomes like xxy or xyy and can't be put in one out of 2 categories. However, I don't believe your gender has anything to do with your mind. My consciousness is neither male or female, it's just me. I don't understand why humans need to link everything about them to gender.

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I think there’s no reason not to accept people as they wish to be accepted. It doesn’t hurt me when someone else identifies themselves as something other than male or female. Regardless, they should be treated as people with dignity and deserving of respect. Part of that has always been calling someone what they wish to be called. Have you ever known someone that calls you some sort of nickname that you don’t really like? That’s often a technique of bullies to assert their dominance over people.

Also, there’s certainly a lot of difficulties for anyone that apparently belongs to a certain gender but has a personality or physical aspects etc that don’t fit the “normal” range for that gender. They’re essentially told by society that they are not a real man/woman. It shouldn’t be a surprise that they then feel like they don’t belong to the standard genders.

0|0
    0|0
    • Ok, I identify myself as a reptilian then. I am not crazy, that is just who I am. I hate to be refered to as human

• Show All
    • As i said in my post, In my mind I don't have a gender. I identify as female because of my sex, not because of how i feel inside, act, dress or look.

• That’s really easy to do when you more or less fall in line with gender norms. I think this might be similar to sexuality as well. Heterosexual people don’t have to think of themselves as heterosexual all the time because the culture assumes that. When you’re not heterosexual, however, the culture is constantly reminding you that you are different. That’s a lot of tension to live with your whole life.

• It is very important to differentiate gender from sex. Your chromosome argument applies to sex not gender.

Gender is cultural not biological and although the definition only states Male and female you could interpret cultural as allowing more genders to emerge. Our culture is changing and becoming more open to people so the creation of more genders could be seen as part of the new culture. I don't think it really matters though. As long as their choice doesn't effect me I couldn't care less what they call themselves.

0|1
    0|1
    • I am a reptilian, i am glad i found someone who accepts me for who i am and doesn't think i am crazy.

• Show All
    • Yes, I have read it, and you seem to confuse biological sex and gender.

Additionally, humans group people by gender and other things because that is how our brain works. People of the same sex tend to have more similar appearance and other factors, so they are grouped together.

• I agree that most intersex people have either joined cultural gender norms or were indoctrinated as their parents, and often medical professionals, saw fit. But should their biological differences be more than acknowledged; shouldn't they be accepted and part of the definition of sex? It may complicate matters, but we don't look to science and philosophy for the simple shit, do we?

Most Helpful Girls

• Truth be told, believe what you want. If there are a thousand, and that's what "you" believe, then that's absolutely fine with me because it's your life and you may believe as you wish, but if you ask me about my opinion, and what I believe, then there are two. I don't need someone to convince me there are more or give me yet another definition---just believe as you wish and be happy, period.

1|3
    0|0
  • My consciousness is a 40 year old disabled black man. Do you see the similarities between your consciousness and mine? They're both bullshit lmao. Your DNA doesn't give one flying fuck what you think you are, you are what your DNA tells you to be- and that is being a gorl ;)

1|7
    1|2
    • You don't seem to understand my poibt

• Show All
    • @Zerxz Exactly. I agree with you completely. People are becoming way too entitled and believe their feelings must reflect the truth

• @latinabutterfly96 thank you 😘😘

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 89

• No, their are only two genders. I do not recognize biological defects as being of a different gender any more then I would recognize some one with downs syndrome as being a separate species. If we did that then every one would be separate because we all have different genetics to some degree. As for under normal circumstances, also no because we have clear and defined data showing that their is no third gender within brain structure, body structure or behavior. Some may be more inclined towards one or the other but that is not the same as being a separate and distinct third gender.
    As for gender being linked to your mind, it most absolutely is. Brain structure dictates behavior and inclinations and we see completely different brain structures in men and women. We know that things affect women more then men when it comes to negative stimuli (women are twice as likely to get PTSD then men), we also know that women have a better memory then men and have a more active amygdala and larger and different shaped corpus collosum which affects how their different hemispheres of the brain communicate which itself affects behavior.

0|3
    1|0
  • Hermaphrodites are not a sex within humans, but a mutation / genetical defect. So no, there are not more than two genders.

And stop with that "sex and gender are two different concepts". That's some mumbo jumbo of the social sciences to make themselves more important than they are. The gender is directly correlated to the sex. Just because someone is an effiminate man or a masculine woman doesn't make that person another gender. They just display different character-traits.

0|6
    1|1
  • There are technically, but that is ONLY due to medical anomalies, such as intersex people or extra chromosomes.

All of this "Demi-gender" "Semi-Tri-gender" or whatever the fuck else is complete and utter nonsense. Just people trying to make themselves feel special and better about themselves by making up their own label and group that they can "identify" with.

0|5
    0|1
  • This topic has been talked about ad nauseum but I will shed some light on things for those who still might be confused. Sex and gender are two different but related concepts. Excluding things like hermaphrodites, which are a biological anomaly among humans, there are only two sexes in homo sapiens, male and female. Gender, however, is the social, psychological, cultural and emotional aspects that stereotypically go along with each biological sex. So with that we have masculine, feminine and people who might identify as both or neither or somewhat of one or the other. Biological sex in humans is a fixed physical phenomenon and gender in humans is a little bit more fluid of an idea. When a person identifies with a different gender than the one that matches their biological sex, then we say that person is transgender. I think confusion arises when people equate "gender" with "biological sex" so it's probably just an issue of semantics. So to answer your question, yes, there are more than two genders, there are people who either identify as both or neither or a little bit of both. Exactly how many there are and what the nature of them might be is an entirely separate question altogether though lol

0|0
    1|2
  • Stupid question NOOOOOOOOOOOOO even if u have a sex change dont change science your still XY or XX PERIOD

1|3
    1|0
    • Have you read what i said before says it's stupid question? I can say the same about your opinio.

• *opinion

• This is not an opinion fool this is scientifi law if your female your XX if your male your XY thats why males go bald 1 X so they usually get from the femles father the Y does not cover the other X faults so men loose hair

• You're way too immature to be wondering about gender given that you preface your question with hermaphrodites and chromosomes as if they have anything to do with gender.

I'm assuming you consider down syndrome a distinct gender as well since they have abnormal chromosome counts. Stay in your lane and stick to swimsuits n love n shit.

1|3
    3|2
    • Down syndrome has nothing to do with sexual chromosomes you stupid fat fuck. Get off the Internet and go read a book for once.

• Show All
    • Asker I’m sorry but I agree with this opinion. It is rude, but 100% on point.

• Hermaphroditism is a genetic mutation. Obviously. But it’s not a fucking gender. A gender is a set of beliefs placed for each sex

• Hermaphrodites aren't a gender, but an anomaly, that is generally treated and cured at birth. Same with chromosomes other than XY and XX.
    There are 2 genders. Rest doesn't count. Just because someone consider himself as a chair doesn't mean he can sit somewhere and let people sit on him.

1|2
    0|0
  • There are only two and it's dependent on sex. That is to say sex and gender are interchangeable and have been forever. It wasn't until a crazy man named John Money who did human experiments in sexuality said gender was a social construct that it changed. David Reimer, the boy John Money experimented with, eventually committed suicide once he found out he was sex reassigned at birth. John Money was a sick man. Read about it if you're interested.

0|3
    2|0
  • There're only 2 genders and to those that doesn't agree, than I will identify myself as an attack helicopter.

1|1
    0|0
  • Well there are still 2 genders, it's just they happen to have them both. So they have both genders is all. But there is still no other 3rd gender. But, yes, personality wise, they can feel either male or female or a mixture of both, that's fine. But biology wise, there are still only 2.

0|0
    0|0
    • What is biological sex?

• Show All
    • Age only gives more insight and experience. As well, if you feel 43 is old, let me know how you feel in 20 years. Being ignorant to the fact you're going to age as well and insulting someone for being old just shows your own lack of insight and maturity.

• Anyhow, keep coming with your insults. Keep suggesting my intelligence is lacking. Keep telling me I'm an old senile man because I have a view point differing than yours. It only makes me not care more about what you have to say, which in the end, doesn't solve the issues or further develop communication and understanding of what really the solution should be.

• Hermaphroditism is a rare phenomenon amongst humans. But, in every case, the individual still has a dominant chromosome to determine their “true” gender. This why parents shouldn’t choose the gender of the child right after birth.

In all of nature, we have seen two dominant genders. Male and Female. Even the majority of plants follow the rule. There isn’t a need to have more than two genders. It makes no sense in the biological realm.

0|0
    0|0
  • There can be only two genders: male and female. If you are born male, you will die male. If you are born female, you will die female. Anything else is unnatural.

2|4
    0|0
  • Gender is not subjective. U can identify as what u want but u either have something down there or u don’t.

Why is it that people can’t identify as a different age? Why can’t people identify as a different nationality? These are far more important than which toilet door u walk through.

0|2
    0|0
  • While there are more than just the two genders I do think that it is possible to get too into the weeds with gender identities. The moment we opened this Pandora's box everyone had their own way of expressing their gender. This can become a problem in situations where it is important to know exacts like in a medical setting.

0|1
    1|0
  • There are only two genders, your either a male or female no other bs

1|7
    0|0
  • This will definitely offend some people😂

XXY and XYY? One question - what does the person produce? SPERM or OVARY?
    Sperms - you are MALE
    Ovaries - you are FEMALE

If you can define a third reproductive cell or maybe a person having both sperms and ovaries only then will I accept it as a third (or fourth or whatever number of) gender.

Having a feminine voice doesn't make a male person female. Having enlarged mammary glands doesn't make a male female. Having a muscular build doesn't make a female male etc. In the end, it still is ONLY TWO

2|4
    2|0
  • Nope , there are only 2 kinds of genitalia. It's extremely rare that someone would have both and have to have one removed.

1|5
    1|1
  • I think as a general rule there are only 2. There are some exceptions as you've said like Hermaphrodites or people with a hormone issue.

1|0
    0|0
    • Chtomosomes are DNA cells

• With the exception of something like a hermaphordite I believe there are only 2 and laws are being made right now to make that the legal definition of gender and I applaud it 100%

0|3
    0|2
  • We really need to stop coddling people who push that "more than 2 genders" bs. There are only 2 genders. Everything else is either a birth defect or delusion/ mental illness.

3|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 27

• Sex and gender are different things. Sex refers to someone sex assigned at birth. It deals with chromosomes and biology. Gender refers to someone's gender identity, and is heavily influenced by hormones and cultural factors.

2|1
    2|5
  • Reading these comments and opinions I feel that people mix up the definition of sex and gender. Gender, in how I was taught to define it, refers to the social roles/attributes that society has placed upon the sex of a person/how the person themself internally identifies themself - which there are many categories. Where as in the make up of one's biological sex (genitals and other body feature) ... male/female/intersex is what defines one's "sex".

0|0
    0|1
    • You've been taught wrong as I was. Gender and sex are identical. It didn't change until John Money did human experiments on a boy at birth trying to prove they were separate. It didn't work out and he lied about it being successful.

• No. There is 2 genders. Some people just wanna be special snowflakes.

0|6
    0|0
  • Hormones play a role people can be more testosterone or estrogen or androgen but there are men women and hemophrodites. Those are the genders, if you get a sex change your still a man or a woman.

0|6
    0|1
  • There are just female and male.. you are a female if you were born with a vagina and a man if you were born with a penis. I dont care what mental ill LGBTBlahBlah people say. There are JUST 2 genders.

1|5
    0|1
  • No. There’s two sexes: MALE and FEMALE.

If you feel like you’re a male in a females body, that is a psychological issue. Not an organic one!

0|5
    0|0
    • PS. Gender is just a set of beliefs and stereotypes applied for each sex. So there are also two genders.

• Hermaphrodites are extremely rare. I believe there are only two sexes and people either have a vagina or penis. Even if you remove your penis or add a penis you are still the same sex you were born as.

1|1
    0|1
  • People on this page really hate science while thinking they follow science. It's fascinating.

1|0
    0|0
    • What?

• Show All
    • It's a personal opinion. Many people who think are a different gender don't have any physiological anomalies, they just feel like they are different, it's in their mind. So I said that I don't feel like I have any gender in my mind. What doesn't make sense? it's pretty clear.

• Oh, I didn't mean that I didn't get what you meant by what you said. I fully understand. Your opinion is your opinion, your feelings are your feelings. I was more talking about objective scientific findings.

• I don’t care for labels, can’t ignore scientific facts, but why limit anyone else if this is harmless?

0|0
    0|0
    • It's just a question, if a question makes you feel limited it's not my problem

• My response was just an open ended question. 👍🏻

• There’s only two genders but I personally think the ones you’ve listed are just a type of mutation.

0|2
    0|0
  • We don't have more than two genders. Only two genders.

0|3
    0|0
  • Okay people don’t know the difference between sex a genders.

There are only 2 sexes. But gender that’s a different story.

1|1
    1|4
    • Sure there’s infinite or whatever but that doesn’t change the fact that if you’re not male or female you’re a freak

• I think you could consider a TRUE hermaphrodite a 3rd gender on some level, but I think it's gonna be a "user's choice" scenario. Even with having both sets of reproductive organs (true hermaphrodism), only one actually works or neither work properly. Most hermaphrodites are reproductively males, and most don't have the "whole set" of female or male parts. Humans are mammals, so gender is strictly binary; Even in a genetic miscommunication like that, you still wind up on one side of the fence or the other.

0|0
    0|0
  • Biologically speaking, normally there are 2 genders. Now the exceptions are just exceptions.

0|1
    0|1
  • Why can't we all just get along instead of living off of labels to separate ourselves? 😥

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope there are only two genders period!

0|7
    0|1
  • Nope nope nope nope nope

0|5
    0|0
  • Disagree. There are two.

2|2
    0|0
  • Those are sexes, not genders.

1|0
    0|6
  • As far as I'm aware, there's only 2.