Are there more than 2 genders?

I believe there are more than 2 in the sense that some people are born hermaphrodites or have chromosomes like xxy or xyy and can't be put in one out of 2 categories. However, I don't believe your gender has anything to do with your mind. My consciousness is neither male or female, it's just me. I don't understand why humans need to link everything about them to gender.

2991

Most Helpful Guys

• I think there’s no reason not to accept people as they wish to be accepted. It doesn’t hurt me when someone else identifies themselves as something other than male or female. Regardless, they should be treated as people with dignity and deserving of respect. Part of that has always been calling someone what they wish to be called. Have you ever known someone that calls you some sort of nickname that you don’t really like? That’s often a technique of bullies to assert their dominance over people.

Also, there’s certainly a lot of difficulties for anyone that apparently belongs to a certain gender but has a personality or physical aspects etc that don’t fit the “normal” range for that gender. They’re essentially told by society that they are not a real man/woman. It shouldn’t be a surprise that they then feel like they don’t belong to the standard genders.

• Ok, I identify myself as a reptilian then. I am not crazy, that is just who I am. I hate to be refered to as human

• As i said in my post, In my mind I don't have a gender. I identify as female because of my sex, not because of how i feel inside, act, dress or look.

• That’s really easy to do when you more or less fall in line with gender norms. I think this might be similar to sexuality as well. Heterosexual people don’t have to think of themselves as heterosexual all the time because the culture assumes that. When you’re not heterosexual, however, the culture is constantly reminding you that you are different. That’s a lot of tension to live with your whole life.

• It is very important to differentiate gender from sex. Your chromosome argument applies to sex not gender.

Gender is cultural not biological and although the definition only states Male and female you could interpret cultural as allowing more genders to emerge. Our culture is changing and becoming more open to people so the creation of more genders could be seen as part of the new culture. I don't think it really matters though. As long as their choice doesn't effect me I couldn't care less what they call themselves.

• I am a reptilian, i am glad i found someone who accepts me for who i am and doesn't think i am crazy.

• Yes, I have read it, and you seem to confuse biological sex and gender.

Additionally, humans group people by gender and other things because that is how our brain works. People of the same sex tend to have more similar appearance and other factors, so they are grouped together.

• I agree that most intersex people have either joined cultural gender norms or were indoctrinated as their parents, and often medical professionals, saw fit. But should their biological differences be more than acknowledged; shouldn't they be accepted and part of the definition of sex? It may complicate matters, but we don't look to science and philosophy for the simple shit, do we?

Most Helpful Girls

• Truth be told, believe what you want. If there are a thousand, and that's what "you" believe, then that's absolutely fine with me because it's your life and you may believe as you wish, but if you ask me about my opinion, and what I believe, then there are two. I don't need someone to convince me there are more or give me yet another definition---just believe as you wish and be happy, period.

• My consciousness is a 40 year old disabled black man. Do you see the similarities between your consciousness and mine? They're both bullshit lmao. Your DNA doesn't give one flying fuck what you think you are, you are what your DNA tells you to be- and that is being a gorl ;)

• You don't seem to understand my poibt

• @Zerxz Exactly. I agree with you completely. People are becoming way too entitled and believe their feelings must reflect the truth

• @latinabutterfly96 thank you 😘😘