Is it true that some people do not remember anything from when they were drunk?

I heard of this phenomenon, mostly from Hollywood, about how people do not remember a day/night of drinking. It's pretty odd to me since I remember everything that happened when I was drunk. Does one have to be totally wasted to forget or does it depend on each individual?
Is it true that some people do not remember anything from when they were drunk?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, it’s possible to get so drunk that you black out.

When I was 16 I drank a bottle of moonshine then chased it with vodka.

One minute I was having a great time outside in the sun with friends, then all of a sudden it was night time, raining, I was alone and I was crying.

When I became lucid again all I could think was “where did the sun go and why am I crying?”

I still have no clue what happened.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Of course. All you have to do is stop sipping beers or wine coolers and go for the hard stuff. 5-8 Whiskey shots should have you wondering "How the hell did I get here?", the next morning. Granted, you're young, so your "snap-back" will be pretty good. But mark my words, 30 hits hard and it hits fast - heavy drinking is awful.

0|0
    0|0
    • I haven't yet done so many hard-alcohol shots in a row. Dunno if I should. Right now I'm drunk off of just one bottle of home-made wine.

• Show All
    • Noted, my man.

Tho I dunno if they even sell the stuff over here

• Just look for any mid-range to high-end Irish Whiskey. Bushmills is a good one, too.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 8

• Yeah loll my dad was drunk for like 10 years straight and if I bring up anythig he literally straight out denies it, and I used to think he was lying but I am pretty sure heactually just doesn't remember anything that happened loll what a dumbass

0|1
    0|0
    • I can relate. My own dad drinks at every fuckin convenience when he doesn't have stuff to do.

• Yes. You can black out, which many people believe is passing out, but it's not. You're fully conscious, but you don't remember anything.

1|1
    0|0
  • No. not unless you're suuuper drunk. Like when i drink a ton i remeber bits and pieces but its blurry

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes I can't remember parts of the night but I still have a pretty solid overall idea of what went down. Only time I couldn't remember anything was when someone messed up my drink

0|0
    0|0
  • You have to be shitfaced

0|4
    0|0
  • Some choose to not remember 😂

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. It's called blackout drinking.

1|0
    0|0
  • I remember everything. My friends claim to get “blacked out”. I kinda believe them because I can tell when they get there. Their eyes are just glossed over. I think it’s part mental too, if you are willing to let go. Plus they probably don’t want to remember. I can never let go that much no matter how much I’ve had to drink

0|2
    0|0

What Guys Said 7

• I had it happen a couple times in my youth where it is actual blackouts
    It is a very different sensation from just being drunk and being very fussy on the details
    There will be a distinct chunk of time that is missing from your memory and you will be very aware that it is missing when you sober up
    It is not fun waking up in the bushes outside your house then wandering off because you think you are still at the party you were at and you still drunk figure you know which direction home is then during the inevitable circle you figure out one of your shoes is missing before you get home unaware you were passed out in the bushes half an hour earlier...
    Or sitting around at a birthday party drinking in the afternoon then suddenly it is late evening and you are pulling down shelves in a shed for some reason and become so insulted when one of your friends tells you that you shouldn't that you smack him with a shelf then walk home walking into a ditch along the way and sleeping a while in a random unlocked car
    Blackouts suck
    Big part of the reason I barely ever drink anymore and when I do I stop early

0|1
    0|0
  • Yep, I have had that happen, the most recent time being a couple of years ago.

It was probably the last time I got drunk, too.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes it can happen. While you normally have to be pretty drunk for it to happen it’s not that clearly linked to being a certain level of drunkenness. You can be more drunk one time and remember everything and fairly but not as drunk another and have missing memories.

It’s referred to as a “blackout”.

People who are in a blackout don’t always even seem drunk.

People can have blackouts and not realize it. Saying “I was at the party it was hilarious” when you were there for hours doesn’t guarantee you don’t have gaps.

You actually can tell if someone is in a blackout by testing for it during.

0|1
    0|0
  • My grandma suffers from this. She will have conversations with my mom but she won't remember them. She's a while different person when she's drunk too.

0|0
    0|0
  • It definitely happens. Depends on individual tolerance, what you drink and how fast, if/wen you ate before, how tired you are, etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • I drank a bottle of whiskey and still remembered the night

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm drinking and have been drinking home-made wine for the past week. Haven't forgotten anything.

• There is such a thing as blackout drunk.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes