Any advice for a 95 pound woman who wants to get her CCW?

I live in a small town no one has heard of. Unfortunately on the tenth of this month, the mother of someone I graduated with was murdered. Just today, there was another homicide nearby where they lived. This is a small town so there's a good chance that I know the victim, or even the person responsible for these deaths.

I work in the healthcare industry. I'm a nurse assistant on the neurology floor of a large hospital. I commute a back and forth everyday. With work and school, I never made time to get my CCW and I now realize that was stupid. I deal with violent people and drug seekers everyday. I always figured if I had to worry about anyone, it'd be my patients.

Do you have any advice for me? It could range from the best type of gun for me to the CCW class. I have a stun gun but that's only good for close attacks, any advice you can give me I'll be glad to hear.

0|2

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 10

• Take all the training and practice you can.
    The best way to figure out what you’re comfortable shooting is to try as many as possible. Some ranges will have open shoot days for people to come in and try different guns and get familiar with firearms handling.
    Personally don’t believe in carrying firearms, but if you’re going to do it, do it right

1|0
    0|0
  • No advice just get it. You have that legal right so why not

America is filled with psychos because of free reign on guns and relaxed weapon laws

So you don’t have a choice. Get it. And keep it on you on your walk home and there. Sumbitch comes at you pop two right in him
    Cops will throw a party

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm a Canadian and not a gun owner, though I'd say try for a handgun of some sort. Figure out which one is best for you.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd say get a 9mm handgun for easily controllable recoil. Go with a reputable model and brand, I use the Smith and Wesson M&P 9.

1|1
    0|0
  • Take training if you can get it,
    My advice would be for a.38 revolver.
    If you want an automatic, I would go for a.45

1|0
    0|0
  • I highly recommend the Ruger SP101 in 327 Federal. I don’t recommend an auto I don’t care what anybody says because of their complexity and having to rack the slide might be too much for some women. I don’t recommend the 357 calibers in small revolvers because of stout recoil. Yes you can put 38 Special ammo in a 357 magnum and reduce the recoil but in small revolvers the capacity is only 5 rounds while the same pistol in 327 Federal has 6 rounds. Check out Rivers website and two good places to buy from is grabagun and budsgunshop

1|0
    1|0
    • 3d

Rugers website

• Show All
    • 3d

True. Although my brother had a.25 ACP I think it was that had a real easy slide, but I don't think.25 would be lethal enough for SD.

• 3d

@Matt57 a baseball bat is a better weapon than a 25 ACP. The only auto I’d recommend for a small female would be the Beretta 3032 tomcat in 32 ACP because it has a tilt barrel and exposed hammer so no racking of the slide is necessary. Problem is they’re hard to find and expensive

• K you need to get you a Taurus 9 mm it's light weight and very good

1|1
    0|0
  • Get a S&W Bodyguard.380 with crimson trace. Super small. Could put it in your pocket and know one would know let alone your purse. So it’s easy to conceal. Additionally it’s.380 so smaller round less recoil. With hollow points not ball round (regular bullets) it’s capable of stopping an intruder or attacker, but should you miss it won’t go through 4 walls and kill your neighbor like a.44 Mag round would. The crimson trace is a laser light. The barrel length is maybe 2 inches, so this is for very close range, however with the laser light.. where the light points is where the billet goes... so you could be a poor shot and still acquire targets quickly and accurately.

Holds 6 rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber.

It’s a solid little pistol good for girls and beginners and for those looking to easily conceal it. Also very easy to assemble and disassemble and very light. Will cost you around $400-$450.

0|1
    0|0
  • 9mm maby

0|0
    0|0
  • What's CCW?

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• I'm also a petite woman. I also know how to properly handle firearms. However, I prefer not to own any. Instead, my choice of learning self-defense has proven handy for me.

1|1
    0|0
    • 3d

I also own a flashlight stun gun & pepper spray which I carry in whatever purse I take.

• Show All
    • 3d

Believe me, learning a significant amount of self-defense is worthwhile. There is so much to gain.

• 3d

I practice gun fu.

• I'm not quite that small but I am a decent shot at have my own CCW. Biggest advice I can give is to do your research. Try a few handgun and see what works for you best. I carry and M&P shield and I love it but it may not be the right pick for you. There are a lot of really good resources out there and I am more than happy to help you out. This channel isn't a bad one to start with.

https://youtu.be/pqH_n8PZMZk

1|0
    0|0
  • Can you drop a few classes to make time for it?

1|0
    0|0
  • Wow you must be tiny af

0|0
    0|0
  • Im not sure about you but the hospital at which i work forbids firearms unless carried by law enforcement officers.
    Than being said, if you want to carry one and it gives you more courage, be my guest.
    But you won't be allowed through the door of this hospital :)

1|0
    0|0
    • 3d

My hospital is gun free for visitors.. However that doesn't apply to the security guards. Security guards are armed with mace, a gun, handcuffs, and a taser. They said they don't have a problem with my stun gun so long as I keep it in my locker when I'm on hospital grounds.

• Show All
    • 3d

@opinionowner some handguns have adjustable grips and lighter frames for them to be easier for women.

• 3d

@Matt57 I know I know! I mean, it sounds like fun :)

Recommended myTakes