Emotional Intelligence - what does it mean to you?

If someone describes themselves as emotionally intelligent, what does that mean to you?
It’s a term that people often use in both a professional and personal setting, but I suspect everyone has slightly different variations on what it means...

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• To me, it is ability to look at another person and make assessment about their emotional state... that is the person lying under the conscious mind. I find I'm quite good at this. Maybe this is really empathy?

I do not think that is the standard definition out there... "capacity to express ones emotions". In that case, I'm not as good. It may be ability to manage ones emotions, so that others cannot control via words or other actions... e. g. emotional strength.

1|0
    0|0
  • Emotional intelligence means you're in control of your emotions and can willingly act or not on your emotions..

Knowing where to be sympathetic or where to use logic over emotions.

2|0
    0|0
  • Little, emotional capacity is what it should be called. It's not a form of intelligence.

Having a big emotional capacity allows had downsides and positives.

You are easily backstabbed and betrayed but can help others calm down or understand them when the act out of line.

1|0
    0|0
  • Never heard it I would just assume someone is speaking out there asshole if they said it lol

1|1
    0|0
  • It's an extension of empathy. Empathy is being able to sympathise with someone else's feelings. Emotional intelligence is being able to read how they are feeling to begin with without being told.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's a gimmick. A lot of silly magazines and web sites have touted it for a long time as a way for stupid people (low IQ) to feel better about themselves.

1|1
    0|0
  • It could mean:
    they are good at reading other people's emotions
    they are good at being mindful of and managing one's own emotions
    they could know why someone feels a certain way, without that person explaining it

1|0
    0|0
  • Emotional intelligence is the persons ability to recognise and read people's feelings and reacting on it in a super positive manner to come with better outcomes suitable for a situation

1|1
    0|0
  • To me it is that somebody is fully capable of understanding and displaying relevant emotions and how to use those emotions to better help a person or situation reach a positive outcome.

1|0
    0|0
  • I see it as the ability of empathy along with the ability to understand your own emotions.

1|0
    0|0
  • I assume that the person is probably not very intelligent, that they like to cry about the dumbest things, that they want people to "listen to them" instead of offering advice in order to fix their problems and that they are likely to lie and mislead others in a self-proclaimed belief that it is in the other person's interest, while in reality it is just the "emotionally intelligent" person's anxiety and inability to cope with real life issues and conflicts making it seem like they are a total bitch.

1|0
    2|0
  • There is a set definition to it... you can find it on the internet

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm nt entirely sure to be honest. Those are two words that I would never put together. Emotions are irrational most of the time.

1|0
    0|0
  • They know how to regulate their own emotions and recognize emotions in others.

1|0
    0|0
  • The ability to relate to, and/or feel other people's feelings.

1|0
    0|0
  • Simply, the ability to deal with different type of human nature in smart way

1|0
    0|0
  • To be good at (understanding) people.

1|0
    0|0
  • nothing what women say has very little value to me

0|0
    2|0
    • Why would you assume its a woman?

And also, how incredibly rude

• Show All
    • Just to check here as I’m a bit confused... because I used the word emotional in a sentence means I run on feelings? Do you mean me personally or womankind?

Don’t make assumptions about what I run on. It makes as ass out of you

• you are a women

YOU RUN ON FEELINGS
      lol

this is not some magically theory
      EVERYONE KNOWS THIS

we have known this since childhood

• It means they're very empathetic.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nothing at all

1|0
    0|0
  • Don't know that's a weird one

1|0
    0|0
  • Ability to identify your own emotions, where they are coming from, a good use of emotional intelligence, is being able to react to situations in a calm and reasonable way that doesn’t harm your own self esteem

1|0
    0|0
  • Women are more emotionally intelligent than men.

1|0
    0|0
    • That is how they think! They want guys to be mind readers 😂

• Show All
    • No we don’t. We know that y’all are not as emotionally smart.

• But I think most girls aren't as smart as you to understand that 😂

• It means they are high

1|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes