If you had to choose between saving your pet and a random person, what would you do?

Let's suppose that your pet and a random person, someone you don't know or you barely know, were in danger. Their life is at risk. They are equally far apart from you, but you may not have time to save both. What do you do?
  • I would save my pet, and if it was still possible, I would try to save the person too
    Vote A
  • I would save my pet without even trying to save the person
    Vote B
  • I would save the person first, and if it was still possible, I would save my pet
    Vote C
  • I would save the person, I wouldn't try to save my pet
    Vote D
  • I wouldn't try to save any of them
    Vote E
  • Other
    Vote F
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I think I would try to save my pet first, because if I was in danger, my pet would save me first, not a random member of his specie... And I don't even have a pet. I don't know anything about that human, whether they are decent people or not, but I know everything I need to know about my pet. He/she would die thinking I betrayed them, on the other hand I didn't owe anything to that person other than the fact we were the same specie. However, if it was a kid, I think I would save them first.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Not helping a person in danger when you can without putting yourself in danger is considered an offense or potentially a crime.

Ten states in the USA put a "duty to rescue" in their laws.

So apparently, some people value the life of their pets higher than that of a human being. What does that tell about our society?

What would you think of the fact that you possibly just killed the child you cherish above everything because this very person that you failed to rescue, when you prioritized your pet (perhaps a guinea pig), may just be the one that in, say, 15 years pulls your kid out of this burning wreckage at the risk of her/his own life?

Obviously he cannot do it because you failed to save him/her when you had the opportunity to but made the wrong decision, knowing that you did not face any legal action for having set the wrong priorities.

And then the police officer knocks on your front door in the middle of the night and you sense something horrible just happened...

0|0
    0|0
    • yeah, but your dog would save you, not a random dog just because that is a dog and you are human... just because you are a human being it doesn't mean you are more important to me than a loved one... important is subjective... You are not more important to a lion than a bird. Being human is only special to you. I don't care about you in any other day, but I care about my pet everyday, so why should I put your live above my pet's? I don't know if you are a good person or a serial killer, but I know everything I need to know about my dog/cat/etc. to save them.
      I may save a kid first, then my pet, but not a random adult. Kids are innocent, adults could be a lot of unpleasant things...

• Show All
    • it depends, some cats protect teir owners too, i have seen it.

• cats, birds and probably a whole bunch of others too, you are right.

There are numerous examples where cats have woken up their masters by miawing and woken them up in a house full of smoke...

Most Helpful Guys

• It's not something easy to learn, because with your pet you have a bond, but human life it's more valuable than a pet.

That's why things like human trafficking, healthcare , and such issues are very important issues even to people who'd save their pet.

my 2 cents

1|0
    0|0
    • Human lfe is moreimportant to human... to a lion you aren't more important than a bird

• Show All
    • yeah, but I would also save my kids and SO and any member of my family over my dog... so your argument doesn't make sense for this question. We are talking about a random human, a stranger vs your pet. It is about someone that is one of your loved one vs someone you never gave a shit about.

• You're right. Anyways thanks for MHO

• The person obviously, what the heck... if I didn't get saved because someone had to save pinky the Chihuahua, ill come back and haunt them forever lol...

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Sorry but I'd save my pet over a random stranger first, then try to save the person afterwards.

Call me insensitive or callous, but a pet is more loyal and loving than most humans, and if it could, would save me first as well!

A random person I may never see again, or might not even be grateful someone saved his or her life.

1|0
    1|0
    • I was thinking the same. Your dog/cat would save you not a random dog/cat. They would die thinking you betrayed them. i don't even know if that person is good or they are some assholes.
      Now, if it was a kid in danger I may try to save them over a my pet, because the kids are innocent and they have so much more ahead.

• My friend got hit by a drunk driver and the driver didn't stop. Passers by didn't stop to call emergency services either. It was only when her assistance dog ran after a woman barking, did that woman finally stop to call an ambulance. Pets care more about their owners than humans.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm definitely tempted to save my pet first but in careful consideration I'd have to try and save the person first. It's not just the fact that it's human life, it's the fact that life expectancy is likely to be longer in most instances and hence you're saving "more life".

1|0
    0|0
  • I would save the person first, and if it was still possible, I would save my pet. As harsh as it sounds, and as much as I love my pet. The life of a human being still has a higher value to me. Plus, the reflexes of an animal are way better than the ones of a human therefore chances are higher that it'd be able to safe itself without help.

0|0
    0|0
  • Be careful of the choice you make...
    The extinction of our species is at staje.
    You don't want to upset "Those Who Control The Lightning".

https://youtu.be/Fcno71K4v7Y

0|0
    0|0
  • The value of their lives are equal in my eyes. So I'd go for the pet.

1|0
    1|0
  • Wasn't that the end of The Dark Knight? Anyway pet first, random person hopefully in time.

1|0
    1|0
  • I'd save my pet and not bother with some random asshole.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would save my pet without even trying to save the person

0|0
    0|0
  • Human life over animal every time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course the random person.
    They're a human...

1|0
    0|0
  • Person first & if possible my pet.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would save the person if i had to kill my pet!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes