What's something you regret forgiving someone for?

75

75
  • When I was all the way back in my tween years, a boy bullied me badly throughout all three years of middle school. Back then, I had a complex of wanting to be everyone’s friend, and if they didn’t want to be my friend I thought something was wrong with me.

He would call me names and push me away and tell me I was worthless and didn’t mean anything to anybody. When he realized that I would still try to cling to him and befriend him regardless, he pushed it further. This caused me to start cutting in eighth grade.

In health class, we were doing an activity with scissors. I remember he explicitly told me to “do everyone a favor and cut myself.” Fed up, I showed him my scars. He said, “do the other side.” I was utterly shocked. I broke, and finally told the school what was happening. They pulled him in for a conversation.

That kid received no punishment. He never spoke to me again, but the school, that school which prides itself in being a safe place, let him off with zero consequences. I never forgave that kid, but I forgave the school, and so when my parents wanted to push charges to the school I convinced them not to.

Deeply regret it.

• I never forgive people who don't feel sorry, so I don't have regrets about it.
    People sometimes just forgive or apologize to keep the 'good relationship'. I was like this, but now I know that you don't need everyone around you to be your friend or to like you., so I'm no regrets if the person never talks to me.

• I didn't forget nor forgive but I let him an other chance while I felt he didn't really deserve it.
    What he did: he disappointed me deeply by letting me down when he said he'd never do this. It was a hard time for me and I wanted someone to rely on. But he quited. I regret I didn't simply let him go at this moment. It would have spared me a lot of time and headaches lol

• I've never regretted forgiving someone.

Besides forgiving isn't the same as trusting, so it's pretty hard to regret forgiving.

• I do not regret because...
    1. Forgiveness allows you move forward.
    2. Not forgiving someone can make your bitter or angry.
    3. Forgiveness releases stress.

• My ex slapped me for singing while he was in my house

• I've never regretted forgiving anyone, because forgiving just means that although what someone did was wrong, you're not going to let it create issue in your life going forward.

Now, if someone wronged you and you gave them a second chance which they proceeded to wrong you again for the same thing, that has nothing to do with forgiveness.

I regret giving second chances to a known liar and cheater because I somehow thought that their remorse automatically meant they'd change their behavior. But liars and cheater's don't typically change over night. It's better to forgive them, but not offer a second chance.

• I have no regrets forgiving

• Hurting me over and over again.

• Lying

• Cheating

• I have a big list, of forgiving people that didn't deserve it. All are equally as bad, so I can't just list one person or thing.