Can he do this to me during shoplifting?

I know this is ridiculous and not smart of me especially for being 17. I went to the till and bought one thing and on my way out of the store I grabbed eyelash glue and just placed it into my bag thinking no one saw me. And this shop has securities at the door. But I walked past them and they didn't say anything to me. It wasn't until I left I was outside the door and fully walked around 20-30 steps before I was stopped by some guy who worked on the shop at the cameras and told me I forgot to pay for the glue and to go back With him upstairs were I had to wait for police. My question is that could he have walked out after me and stop me? I thought the security was meant to let you go?

0|2

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• They cannot stop you while you in the store. They have to give you the benefit of the doubt, as you might just be browsing, before you return to the tills. Once you have walked out of the shop without paying, then you have committed an offence, and can be stopped, and taken back to the shop.

1|0
    0|0
  • depends on policies, but in genearl, they don't do that for liability.

some stores won't even go after you. big box stores tend to not pursue from what I've seen... and I've seen people walk out with carts full of stuff.

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely. You walked out after grabbing extra shit! I don't get the wait for police thing.. This type of thing is usually handled by having your picture taken and then banned by the store.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah he has the right but usually unless it’s an armed guard and your not doing a felony, they can’t physically touch you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah they can still do that, the parking lot or at least the pavement outside the store still counts as store property so unless you left that then they are well within their rights to stop you.

0|0
    0|0
  • No the store has to give you all the chances to psy for it. Once you are out of the store the jig is up

0|0
    0|0
  • Varies by store policy how far they will go, but yes he is within legal boundaries doing that.

0|0
    0|0
  • You can fight it if you said to him , hey i will pay for it i got the money
    if he refuses than that is on him and also he is in reasonable rights
    Walmart got security cameras that beep the whole time your handling
    any of their merchandise yes they are money hungry son-of-bitches
    i was back where they sell razors , Men's hair dye and this camera
    beeped the whole time i was looking at the merchandise i wish i
    could of gave the camera the middle finger. These stores over do it
    with cameras and security but hey they want paid cause every time
    one shoplifts and gets away with it they raise the prices in the store
    that's why lot Dollar Stores prices are going up cause people shoplift.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Don't be a scummy little cunt and steal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure they can ask you to come inside.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes he has the right to especially if u steal

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it is not until u are out the shop that they can do something
    What happened with the police?

0|0
    0|0
    • 6d

They got called in and drove me with two other girls to the police station where we had to call our parents. They said themselves that it’s only 5.50 for the glue and seemed fed up. Just got a warning since it was my first time and said next time it happens I’m going onto their system

• 6d

bet it was scary for u, could have been worse then

Recommended myTakes